× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) - We need your feedback!

flegall
Aspirant

Hi all,

I am currently trying to register and fully create a PDU session in 5G SA with the MR5200 but I am failing to to it (I have succeeded with other smartphone terminals).
Indeed, I have a testing 5G SA platform on which I have configured an end to end 5G SA architecture (core + GNB) in test plmn id 001 01.

When I try to scan available networks, the MR5200 doesn't seem to find my network (this network is available for other 5G SA devices such as smartphones).

Is the MR5200 locked for a restricted list of PLMN IDs ? Only operators ones ? Is it possible to use test PLMN IDs (such as 00101, 20880, 20890, ...) ?

Thanks in advance for your support and help.

BR.

Message 126 of 256
rylos
Star

I will NEVER EVER buy a netgear product again! It's 1 year that we are waiting for a firmware update to fix ETH Bridge Mode. It's a SHAME.

Netgear, you got my "good working" money for it.

Message 127 of 256
kevdyas
Aspirant

I have a UK purchased MR5200 and it works fine there. On holiday in Portugal I use a NOS SIM and it won’t connect to 5G (used 4G+ without a problem) yet my UK SIM when used in roaming will connect to 5G without any issues. 5G service is active on NOS side (confirmed in store too)
Message 128 of 256
dpcheng
Star

Login to your Nighthawk MR5200, go to settings->Network ->APN and check that there is an entry for 5G and set as default.
Sometimes the wireless hotspot may not set the APN correctly after swapping SIMs.
Check with the carrier for APN settings.
Message 129 of 256
tadbitnerdy
Aspirant

Adding to the noise... my M5 disconnects from LTE seemingly at random.  I sometimes can go a couple days without having to restart.  But, more often than not, I'm starting my M5 1-4 times a day.  I see that people have been asking for a fix for this for a while now.  Netgear, you should know by know that this is an issue.  Why are you not doing anything?  Not that it matters, but I've always recommended your products to family and friends, but I may need to stop.

Use case:

- M5 (wifi off, IP passthrough on)

- to Amplifi Alien

Message 130 of 256

hello, i purchase a MR5200 ( 100NAS version) from amazon to my country (Vietnam), the band n41 does not work, my firmware verion is: NTGX55_12.04.10.01 web app version: MR5200-100EUS_04.02.196.00  what should i do to unlock the n41 band?

and why my gui version is 100EUS?

please contact me via email anex3655@gmail.com many tks,63A82BC9-D955-4D1E-8DD0-D83D4777ECA0.jpeg

Message 131 of 256

You have joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you do want help with your problem, check previous stuff that may be related then start your own discussion.

Message 132 of 256
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

It looks like the amazon seller sold you the EU version that does not support that band you may want to get a refund and get the North American version.

DarrenM

Message 133 of 256
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@dongtiendaihiep wrote:

hello, i purchase a MR5200 ( 100NAS version) from amazon to my country (Vietnam), the band n41 does not work, my firmware verion is: NTGX55_12.04.10.01 web app version: MR5200-100EUS_04.02.196.00  what should i do to unlock the n41 band?

and why my gui version is 100EUS?

please contact me via email anex3655@gmail.com many tks,63A82BC9-D955-4D1E-8DD0-D83D4777ECA0.jpeg

I can confirm that your device is North American SKU and n41 is supported. Could you please advise which carrier you are using in Vietnam with the device?

If possible, please capture a model.json file and send a private message to me to check.

- Logon to the webui (http://192.168.1.1 ) as an administrator
- Navigate to URL http://192.168.1.1/model.json via the same browser window
- Capture the results (by selecting all + copy) and send it back

Thanks

John

Message 134 of 256
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@flegall wrote:

Hi all,

I am currently trying to register and fully create a PDU session in 5G SA with the MR5200 but I am failing to to it (I have succeeded with other smartphone terminals).
Indeed, I have a testing 5G SA platform on which I have configured an end to end 5G SA architecture (core + GNB) in test plmn id 001 01.

When I try to scan available networks, the MR5200 doesn't seem to find my network (this network is available for other 5G SA devices such as smartphones).

Is the MR5200 locked for a restricted list of PLMN IDs ? Only operators ones ? Is it possible to use test PLMN IDs (such as 00101, 20880, 20890, ...) ?

Thanks in advance for your support and help.

BR.

Could you please advise what nr bands you are using to connect in SA? Currently, MR5200 doesn't support SA mode.

Thanks

Message 135 of 256

Please check your message, sir
Many thanks,
Message 136 of 256
flegall
Aspirant

Hi @JohnPeng 

Thank you for your feedback.
I am currently using N78 SA band.

Are there any plan and roadmap on MR5200 to be compatible with 5G SA ? (what I understand is that currently it's only compatible with 5G NSA, am I right ?)

Message 137 of 256
smorant
Aspirant

Hello,

I work with flegall and I don't understand  you answer. What do you mean by "MR5200 doesn't support SA mode"? The product's datasheet clearly states that the it support 5G SA in FR1 (sub 6) frequencies.

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/mobile/MR5200.pdf 

Page 7 :Key features 

Latest 5G Technology: 5GNR Sub6GHz (N)SA

It is stated nowhere this is an upcoming feature.

For the record, here is the device information

SKU N°: MR5200-100EUS

Firmware version : NTGX55_12.04.12.00

Message 138 of 256
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@smorant wrote:

Hello,

I work with flegall and I don't understand  you answer. What do you mean by "MR5200 doesn't support SA mode"? The product's datasheet clearly states that the it support 5G SA in FR1 (sub 6) frequencies.

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/mobile/MR5200.pdf 

Page 7 :Key features 

Latest 5G Technology: 5GNR Sub6GHz (N)SA

It is stated nowhere this is an upcoming feature.

For the record, here is the device information

SKU N°: MR5200-100EUS

Firmware version : NTGX55_12.04.12.00

The device can support n78 SA mode. But currently, it is not enabled yet. 

Thanks

John

Message 139 of 256
yellowtao
Aspirant

5G STANDALONE been out for so long,More and more countries are also deploying 5GSA. You are such a big company as Netgear, but MR5200 still doesn't support 5GSA. I don't know what your engineers do every day.Qualcomm has released X70 series chips, and you have released M6. An MR5200 does not even support 5GSA.You only know that you want user feedback, even the most urgent 5GSA can’t be done well, and you still want customers to support your Netgear, this is really a joke

Message 140 of 256
yellowtao
Aspirant

The previous reply said that it is expected to support 5GSA in the spring. Now it is summer. Where is your 5GSA?

Message 141 of 256
Nightfury
Initiate

Having VPN support on the M5 would be something nice to have.
Message 142 of 256

They have deceived you to sell useless products…

never buy anything from netgear…

Message 143 of 256
debugger_pl
Aspirant

Good morning.

So far I did not have any issues with Nighthawk M5 and previously used M1,

but there is one thing, which could be improved in future models - number of supported frequencies.

I am located in Poland and most of the mobile internet providers are using FDD 2100 Mhz (n1),

however there is one internet provider that is using TDD 2600 Mhz (n38), so I am not able to use 5G network of that service provider.

It would be nice that future mobile broadband products would support more frequencies (ideally it would be as much as possible),

so we would avoid such surprises in the future.

Best Regards.

Piotr

Message 144 of 256

@debugger_pl wrote:

Good morning.

So far I did not have any issues with Nighthawk M5 and previously used M1,

but there is one thing, which could be improved in future models - number of supported frequencies.

One for here:

Idea Exchange For Home - NETGEAR Communities

Message 145 of 256
TobyJones
Initiate

Good Afternoon!

I have a Netgear Nighthawk M5 router.  I live in an apartment block (top floor) in London UK where the wired internet speeds can be very slow.  So I use the M5 as my always on internet service wired into a Netgear gigabit hub which is hard wired around my flat.

When it is working it is very good but the WiFi regularly drops connections and the internet 5G connection also goes awol sometimes and the router needs a restart (through Three in the UK). Occasionally though I log into the router to check whether its the router or Three (the 5g service) but that connection times out too so it must be the router.

Hoping there are some firmware updates soon!

Thanks

Toby Jones

Message 146 of 256
wscholl
Aspirant

I have an M6 Pro that shuts down periodially.  When powered back up my Nest devices won't automaticlly reconnect.  Sonos also has problems after powering up.  It won't let me steam any music without jumping through some hoops to get it working again.  Not going to be a long term solution for me if this continues. 

Message 147 of 256
jslcom
Guide

Okay, so I've been waiting patiently for Netgear to update their firmware to fix the previous issue I described here:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Mobile-Routers-Hotspots-Modems/Nighthawk-MR5200-M5-We-need-your-fee...

It's been over six months now and no word.  I'm not posting this to pester the developers, but to report a new issue I've had.

My MR5200 is set up for Data Offloading via Ethernet.  Last week I noticed that I had no connectivity to the Internet even though both the Ethernet and the 5G should have worked.  I could reach the management interface via a browser and the dashboard showed that everything was fine, but connections were being rejected with ICMP Host Unreachable responses.  I tried everything that I could, but the only solution was to reboot the MR5200, after which everything works fine again.  Uptime before reboot was probably on the order of three months.

This is a flagship product and it should work better than this.  The firmware I have is: NTGX55_12.04.10.01

The MR5200 says this is the latest firmware, but it has not been updated for over six months.  Is there a hidden beta firmware image somewhere that will fix these issues?  Link please?

Message 148 of 256

@jslcom wrote:

It's been over six months now and no word.  I'm not posting this to pester the developers, but to report a new issue I've had.

Do you think it worth starting a new conversation rather than tagging new woes on to the end of a continuing saga?

That might have a better chance of catching the eye of one of the Netgear minders who are supposed to follow these discussions. New messages may have a better chance if grabbing their attention.

Message 149 of 256
Ikaldus
Aspirant

As an enterprise user, not having OpenVPN or any VPN client option on the router, is a deal breaker. 
As it is a requirement for our employee mobility setup, going to return the devices already purchased and look for some other vendor. 

Otherwise the device is great and checks all the rest of the boxes. 

Message 150 of 256
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7