× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Orbi LBR20: Apple PowerBooks don't see the WiFi network SSID

Alex-
Aspirant

Orbi LBR20: Apple PowerBooks don't see the WiFi network SSID

I am using the ORBI LBR20 with standard, out-of-the-box configuration. All of my devices can see the SSID and connect to the WiFi network, except my older Apple Powerbooks (I still use two of them) don't even see the SSID. The Powerbooks can see another WiFi network from a router in my home and from my neighbours' routers, but not from the Orbi LBR20.

The PowerBooks work with 802.11g 2,4 Ghz. What does the Orbi do differently from other routers that prevents its network from being seen by the older PowerBooks?

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah, So maybe not AES supporting which is possible. Try WPA and TKIP setting on the LBR? 

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 15

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Can you check on the Orbi web interface on the Wireless Menu whether the box "Enable ax" is checked on the 2.4G WiFi network?

It could be that a device this old is not compatible with the more modern protocol.  (My understanding is that 802.11ax is backward compatible with older devices, but that some devices get confused.)  Might be a good idea to check in Apple forums for information about this older product.

Message 2 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, 20 series Orbis don't support AX modes. They are all AC mode systems. 

Message 3 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Totally correct.  Neglected to read the specs.  This leaves..... what?

Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

"Older Power Books" maybe key here. Depending on actual details here, possible if these are the 1st generation laptops from Apple, like 20 years ago, these may not be compatible with newer generation Wi-Fi specs. If these are older generation laptops, they maybe A or B mode supporting back then since Wi-Fi was new. A and B modes were decommissioned pre 2020, thus Wi-Fi mfrs no longer had to include those modes in newer generation systems. I believe G, and N and all follow on modes are currently supported. 

Need user to confirm actual models of these Power Books and if these come from years back. 

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook/index-powerbook.html

Message 5 of 15
Alex-
Aspirant

I already stated that the PowerBooks work with 802.11g 2,4 Ghz. Take note of the "g".

PowerBook 15-inch A1138 (PowerBook5,8) and PowerBook 12-inch A1104 (PowerBook6,8).

The Orbi transmits 2.4GHz in b/g/n.

Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. I would presume something with these particular devices needs to be looked at if all other newer devices are working. 

If there not seeing any SSID name from the Orbi system, something on these devices isn't working right. Possible bad wifi module? 

What other router systems have you tried? 

Even if you set no security on the Orbi system, set to NONE, does anything appear on these devices? Re-enable after checking. 

Message 7 of 15
Alex-
Aspirant

I added Orbi's WiFi network manually to the PowerBook's list of preferred networks, turned AirPort off then back on, but it still connects to my other router's WiFi.

On the PowerBook, I also use the app iStumbler, which scans for networks. It does not show the Orbi's WiFi, but several others which the PowerBook's own network scanner doesn't show.

The Orbi seems to advertise its network SSID in a way that the PowerBook's AirPort Extreme card can't pick up.

Message 8 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Did this Power Book go down the rabbit hole with Alice?  This is just weird.

On many of my devices, setting a WiFi network to "Connect Automatically" makes the device connect to that specific network even if there are other devices available that it recognizes.  Would it be possible to "Forget" the network that it has been connecting to?

Also, it might be interesting to enable the Orbi Guest WiFi network (temporarily) with no password and see if the Power Book detects that SSID.

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like it or something maybe in the newer generation signals of orbi maybe something that older hardware isn't able to pick up. I think you'll need to use a different wifi router that is more able to provide signals to your older stuff. I don't see any other options for the LBR that would help fix that. 

Message 10 of 15
Alex-
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Even if you set no security on the Orbi system, set to NONE, does anything appear on these devices? Re-enable after checking. 

Thanks for the hint. After changing security from WPA2-PSK [AES] to none, the PowerBook does see the network. What does this tell you? 

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah, So maybe not AES supporting which is possible. Try WPA and TKIP setting on the LBR? 

Message 12 of 15
Alex-
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

Also, it might be interesting to enable the Orbi Guest WiFi network (temporarily) with no password and see if the Power Book detects that SSID.

Thanks for this hint. I just did that – enabled the Guest network without broadcasting the SSID and without password. The PowerBook is able to connect to it. So, we now know that with WPA2-PSK [AES] enabled, the PowerBooks don't even see the network. This is a bit strange because WPA2 is a supported security method OS X 10.4.11, but apparently there is something about the newer methods that confuse the PowerBook.

My plan now is to set up an older Belkin router as an access point and check if that connects to Orbi. If it does I will then have the PowerBooks connect to the Belkin router as intermediary.

Message 13 of 15
Alex-
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

When I set the guest network to broadcast its SSID and set security to "WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]", then the PowerBook sees the guest network and can connect to it. Even though I select "WPA Personal" when connecting, the entry then gets filed as "WPA2 Personal" in the list of preferred networks. That's probably another indication that there are slight mismatches in recognizing the security aspects.

Interestingly, the PowerBook now lists the Orbi's main network as an available option to connect to, even though I have re-enabled WPA2-PSK [AES]. I guess this is because it has been connected to previously. However I cannot connect to it. In the dialog prompt, PowerBook expects a WPA Personal password and I cannot switch that option to WPA2. As a result, the connection attempt results in an error message.

Okay, we have sufficiently determined that the security details are the cause. But I can work around this with the guest network or by going through an intermediary router (access point), which I will test tomorrow. Thanks for your help!

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you figured it out. At least you know.

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know.

Enjoy. 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7