× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Questions with Netgear Nighthawk travel router

pictoruta
Follower

Questions with Netgear Nighthawk travel router

Hi all,

I hope this finds everyone safe and well.

I purchased a Netgear Nighthawk M1 router, and couldn't be happier with it. This thing is incredible!

I have four (hopefully quick and easy) questions, that I was hoping I could get some feedback / answers to.

1.Do external Antennas boost WiFi signal? I have a small unit and the reception (WiFi) doesn't seem to make it to my spare bedroom (office). 4G reception, however, is perfect. Do the plug in antennas boost WiFi, or only 4G signal, or both? Does anyone have any recommendations for a good set?

2. Can I turn off the blue LED? Sometimes I take the modem into the bedroom so I can use the Google Chromecast. I know it's bad to have WiFi and wireless in the bedrooms, but it doesn't reach from the kitchen. The blue LED drives me bonkers. Can I turn it off? I can't seem to find it in the app settings.

3. Is it bad to leave it running 24/7 with the battery in? Can I take the battery out and use it 24/7?

4. Can I use a WiFi extender if I have my SSID set to hidden mode? I have a TP Link AC750 travel router, but I can't seem to add a hidden SSID to extend the WiFi range. I was wondering if maybe this is not possible.

A massive thanks in advance for all your help, tips, suggestions, etc.

Have a great weekend.

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Questions with Netgear Nighthawk travel router

1. The external antennas are for the cellular signal. Not wifi. Sorry

2. I haven't found a setting for it either. But a little piece of black tape goes a long way

3. if its left on 24/7, its recommended to remove the battery

4. both hotspots and travel routers aren't known for their broadcast distance. They're a bit limited by the very nature of how they're supposed to function. If you're needing better coverage at home. I'd pick up a full router or mesh system and connect that to the hotspot. Its why you see verizon/tmobile have rather larger routers for their 5g home service and not just using their hotspots. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7