× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Signal Quality and CQI on 4G modems

psynpase
Aspirant

Signal Quality and CQI on 4G modems

I have a LB2120, but looking at the modem status page source code and noting tha Netgear use comparatively few rf front ends, my question may well read across to other 4G modems.

In brief, how does the value "quality", as shown on the network status page, relate to CQI?  CQI runs from a value of 1 to 15, whilst I have quality that runs between 30 and 44, depending on the wind. A pure guess would be divide by 4 !

I ask because a CQI of less than 10 corresponds to 16QAM, whilst 10 and above are 64QAM, with a big improvement in performance

Model: LB2120|4G LTE Modem
Message 1 of 5
psynpase
Aspirant

Re: Signal Quality and CQI on 4G modems

I deleted supplementary  comment

Message 2 of 5
psynpase
Aspirant

..... I answered my own question (after logging data connection info for 24 hours). The indicated signal quality is simply 120+RSSI (guarding the sign)  ....... So probably not well linked to CQI

Message 3 of 5
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

If you are interested, you can find many info on RSSI, RSCP and CQI and how they link to each other.

Thanks

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 4 of 5
psynpase
Aspirant

John

Many thanks.  I have looked at several articles on RSRP RSSI etc which have cleared up some issues, but of course I am not clear on what Netgear actually mean when they talk about "Signal Quality", because the reported figure is not CQI.  Maybe if I plough through the open source for the modem I can find how this parameter is calculated, but at this moment it seems to be 120 + signal strength.  However there are other more pressing issues for me at the moment, notably the modem/tower habit of switching me to an unusable band.

Again, many thanks for your reply

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7