× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Use Netgear Mesh WiFi6 MK63 router in AP mode with LTE LAX20? Then 2 Satellite off the MK63 AP?

ChezVern
Aspirant

Use Netgear Mesh WiFi6 MK63 router in AP mode with LTE LAX20? Then 2 Satellite off the MK63 AP?

Good evening folks,

I hope you can help me get this problem straight in my head. I have poor internet delivered through my house telephone which I don't use (for calls or internet). However, 1000m (or yards) I have 2 x 4G masts giving me 30Mb down/15-20Mb up.

What I would like to do is use my Netgear 4G LAX20 as a router (nothing changes), use the Netgear MK63 as an AP, with its 2 satellites working off that. Is this doable please? If so, how?

Sadly I need the range of the MK63 trio because of the stone house walls, inside and external, are 60cm thick ... even upstairs. The house has 4 walls that are at 90 degrees to its 28m length.  The 4G LAX is hooked up in the roof void to get the internet speeds discussed. I have 2 x 200Gb data SIM cards for it.

Thank you,

Vern

Message 1 of 4

Re: Use Netgear Mesh WiFi6 MK63 router in AP mode with LTE LAX20? Then 2 Satellite off the MK63 AP?

@ChezVern wrote:

What I would like to do is use my Netgear 4G LAX20 as a router (nothing changes), use the Netgear MK63 as an AP, with its 2 satellites working off that. Is this doable please? If so, how?

First you need to work out how to get the MK63 to talk to the LAX20. Maybe you have done that already.

I have used an Orbi in AP mode to feed satellites without a problem.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Set up the router as a WiFi access point.

You will, of course, lose some of the features of the MK63 in AP mode.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Nighthawk Mesh System - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 4
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Use Netgear Mesh WiFi6 MK63 router in AP mode with LTE LAX20? Then 2 Satellite off the MK63 AP?

Hi @ChezVern ,

What you would need to do is as follows:

1. Plug ethernet cable from LAN port of LAX20 to WAN/Internet port of MR60.

2. Go through MK63 setup(Nighthawk App or WebGUI) to pair up your satellites.

3. Go into WebGUI of MR60 and put into AP mode(Advanced>Router/AP>AP Mode>Apply).

4. MK63 should now be setup as an AP of LAX20.

Regards,

ArodiD

Message 3 of 4
ChezVern
Aspirant

Thanks guys,

Setup this morning with very little hassle. I appreciate your help.

kr,

Vern

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7