Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000 AC1900 Address Reservation issue

Deepblue12
Aspirant

D7000 AC1900 Address Reservation issue

I've had a D7000 AC1900 ADSL Router for many years and after issues with the Wifi dropping decided to upgrade. After trying several different routers (all with various annoying issues) i decided to go simply order a replacement of the same router.

The latest one is exactly the same but has D7000.V2 as a model number.

Working in IT i have always locked my network down as far as i can and to this end previously assigned each device on the network a reserved IP under Address Reservation table, then turned on Access control (Block all new devices from connecting) then allowed my devices. This means i know exactly what's on my network at any one time.

The issue i have on the new router is that when trying to add addresses i am getting an error "The IP address should be within the DHCP Range". My DHCP range is 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.254.

I have added countless entries into the Address reservation already using anything from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.99 and as i did it the same on the old router know it works so why after several entries has it suddenly started creating this error.

I tried turning off DHCP and even resetting the range to 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254 but it refuses to allow me to do this even after rebooting. 

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 4

Re: D7000 AC1900 Address Reservation issue

@Deepblue12 wrote:

Working in IT i have always locked my network down as far as i can and to this end previously assigned each device on the network a reserved IP under Address Reservation table, then turned on Access control (Block all new devices from connecting) then allowed my devices. This means i know exactly what's on my network at any one time.

I find that it can be easier to set the IP address on the devices that you want to connect. Then the router follows suit.

My DHCP range is 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.254.

Why limit it to that range? Is 192.168.1.0XX reserved for something else?

What devices are you trying to add?

These days device makers like to play around with their devices in the pursuit of "security". So every time your iThing tries to connect it may adopt a different "personality". MAC addresses, for example, are a variable commodity.

Working in IT i have always locked my network down as far as i can

Might be time to see if  you need a different strategy in line with newer network practices by the device makers.

Always help to go back to basics from time to time. Chuck out the old way of doing things. Start with the problem that you want to fix and then work out how to do it.

I say that because people have a habit of turning up here saying "how do I do X on my router". They don't say why they want to do X.

Message 2 of 4
Deepblue12
Aspirant

The range is set so that if i add any other devices they are automatically outside the range i eventually want to set as reserved.

I'm connecting varying devices from iPads, PC's, CCTV systems, alarms, VPN servers etc. MAC addresses are a fixed entity, thats the reason they are there.  Apples attempt at private wifi address option can be removed as well to get around this. 

The point is, my setup works on my old router, it was accepting the same setup on the new router then came up with the error after a few entries. The router software is built to allow exactly what i'm trying to undertake, i just want to know why its not working rather than having to change the methodology. 

Message 3 of 4
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Deepblue12,

We would like to endorse you to NETGEAR Level 2 support team for a callback. Please provide the following information:

Name:

Email:

Phone:

Preferred schedule (at least 2 days ahead)

Timezone:

Device S/N:

Alternatively, if you wish to be contacted via email only then kindly include your preferred email address.

I am looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7