Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000 WiFi Network drops and won't turn on

aBlueAngel
Guide

D7000 WiFi Network drops and won't turn on

NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router Model: D7000 (2017).

with a Devolo 821 dLAN® 1200+ WiFi ac to extend the WiFi networks.

Two WiFi Networks: 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz using different channels and similar SSID names.

I Have been using the above Router and Extender for a few years now with multiple devices with little problems.

Devices: MacBooks, iPads, iPhones, Apple TV 4K, Sony LCD TV, Humax FVP.

Problem

Recently bought a refurbished MacBook Pro 2012 (macOS Catalina 10.15.7) which drops the WiFi Network after a few minutes or several hours of using.  Once it drops I can't turn the WiFi back on unless I restart or shutdown the machine.  Other devices WiFi connections are unaffected by the WiFi dropping on the new device and the internet stays connected.

Things I've tried on the MacBook Pro:

• Reinstalled macOS Catalina.
  • Re-added the Wi-Fi Interface.
  • Deleted the Network Configuration Files.
  • Renewed DHCP Licence under TCP/IP
  • Reset PRAM. 
  • Reset SMC
  • Reseated the cable AirPort/Bluetooth connector out of its socket on the AirPort/Bluetooth board.

I did take the laptop to a local coffee shop to try it on a different network, where it remained stable and did not drop the connection for the two hours I was there. 

Things I've tried on the Router & Extender:

• Updated Router Firmware - V1.0.1.84 (was V1.0.1.80)
  • Updated Extender Firmware - Automatic - Version: 6.0.1 (2023-09-06)
  • Renamed the 2.4GHz & 5GHz WiFi networks name (SSID) to be the same.
  • Changed/matched the Channel numbers (2.4GHz = 6 & 5GHz = 40) for both networks on the Router and the Extender.

Things I haven't tried (yet!): 

• Replace DNS Server with 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1
  • Replace the Router
  • Contact ISP
  • Replace the Airport card

Any ideas or thoughts what could be causing this will be gratefully received.

Regards

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: D7000 WiFi Network drops and won't turn on

If only a single device is having issues, it tends to indicate that specific device is the issue. Especially since its a 12 year old device. 

Easy check? Pickup a cheap USB wireless card that is compatible with that laptop (a little rarer) and try it. If the new adapter stays stable, kind of indicates that's the issue

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

If only a single device is having issues, it tends to indicate that specific device is the issue. Especially since its a 12 year old device. 

Easy check? Pickup a cheap USB wireless card that is compatible with that laptop (a little rarer) and try it. If the new adapter stays stable, kind of indicates that's the issue

Message 2 of 8
aBlueAngel
Guide

Excellent. Now why didn’t I think of that!
Thanks for the advice.
Have ordered https://amzn.eu/d/56EqBA3
Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Shooties. I don't usually see great reviews on the a6150. Not saying it won't work, I just don't usually see good posts about it but I am on a troubleshooting forum. So I only see the issues
Message 4 of 8

@plemans wrote:
Shooties. I don't usually see great reviews on the a6150. Not saying it won't work, I just don't usually see good posts about it but I am on a troubleshooting forum. So I only see the issues

USB adaptors generally cause more grief than they should. I put it down to the messy entrails of Windows.

And don't even mention Macs.

Message 5 of 8
aBlueAngel
Guide

I hear you. But I’m hoping just to use to prove the internal WiFi card is the problem (as suggested by @plemans) and then replace it or return to buyer. i.e. not a permanent solution.
Message 6 of 8
aBlueAngel
Guide

*seller
Message 7 of 8
aBlueAngel
Guide

Tried Newfast 1300 (model: NF-U323 V2) which I couldn’t get to work. Didn’t want to recognise it as a WiFi adapter, just a USB drive.
Switched to NETGEAR AC1200 A6150 which so far has worked fine and has remained stable attached to my WiFi Network.

So guess this is more proof that the new MBP is the offender and it is likely the internal Airport Board, which the seller has offered to replace.

Thanks for the help and support. It has been most useful.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7