Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000 email alert failure to send. How to configure with CenturyLink ISP?

TillJohn
Aspirant

D7000 email alert failure to send. How to configure with CenturyLink ISP?

I've just noticed that I've been having DoS attacks on my router.  I thought I had properly set up my router but also saw that an attempt to send me an email failed.  CenturyLink is my ISP.  I googled the proper outgoing mail server identification and got "smtp.centurylink.net".  I still get the failure.  I have no clue whether the mail server needs authentication or not.  Does anyone have experience with CenturyLink and setting up email alerts?  Any insight would be most appreciated!  Thanks

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Re: D7000 email alert failure to send. How to configure with CenturyLink ISP?

@TillJohn wrote:

I have no clue whether the mail server needs authentication or not. 

Until someone who knows CenturyLink steps in, why not check whatever you use to do email? The settings for this will show you the SMTP settings.

Or read this:

How to set up your email to go through POP3 and SMTP | CenturyLink

If you have something like GMail, you can use that to send you emails.

By the way, Netgear is great at creating false reports of DoS attacks. Many of them are no such thing. Just use whois to see who is behind some of them. You may find that they are from places like Facebook, Google, even your ISP.

Message 2 of 4
TillJohn
Aspirant

Hey Michael,

Thanks for the information.  I can't make the email work whether I use the CenturyLink, Outlook or Gmail mail server settings.  I'll keep trying...

Also, thanks for the tip about false alerts.  I went to whois and checked out a bunch of the IP addresses.  Amazon, Google & Microsoft were the main "culprits" on the log.  The DoS alert was an ACK scan which I'm guessing is some kind of port scan.  I'm guessing these, and other, companies were just sniffing around, hopefully in a harmless way.

I appreciate you taking the time to offer help!

Best wishes,

John

Message 3 of 4

@TillJohn wrote:

I'm guessing these, and other, companies were just sniffing around, hopefully in a harmless way.

Remember, if something shows up in the firewall log, it is a sign that the "attack" is not getting through.

The ones to worry about are those that escape the router's defences and go undetected. Of course, we won't know about those.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7