Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000 suddenly not accepting WiFi or wired connections

harryw66
Aspirant

D7000 suddenly not accepting WiFi or wired connections

Hi all,

Wonder if anyone help determine what is going on.

I have a D7000 which has been running firmware V1.0.0.32_1.0.1  for quite some time now. I have not upgraded as all has been well and I use the Mac Address and IP address reservation features which I understand were a bit buggy in later versions.

Anyway, have just generally noticed over the past few days that internet connection is lost for short periods and not been too bothered by it.

But since this Saturday, it is happening more and more frequently. The problems are as follows:

1) Suddenly none of the mobiles or laptops can acquire a Wifi connection, neither a B or BG - I have to Access Point names setup for older and newer devices. e.g. the phone will try to connect to MyWifiB or MyWifiBG and then give up after a few seconds. Sometimes, it says 'authentication failure' or some similar message. If I unplug the power on the router and try again, the phone or laptop can usually make a connection again - but this may only last a few minutes or perhaps a few hours.

2) Even when connecting from a wired PC via Ethernet, e.g. to login to the router and check the status pages, I suddenly get cannot reach '192.168.1.1' which is my router IP address. Again, unplugging the router and reconnecting seems to fix this problem.

3) Occasionally, both the Wifi and Ethernet are connecting fine but then it says 'No Internet'

I ran my Fibre provider, who made me do some tests and they did some tests and all looked fine during the call - although I did have occasions where I could not log into the router - 'cannot reach 192.168.1.1' during the call, but unplugging the power and reconnecting fixed that.

I left the router overnight and noticed in the logs that the DSL went down at around 5am this morning and came back up a minute or so later - without any intervention on my part.

[Internet connected] IP address: 51.7.xxx.xx Monday, December 18,2017 05:09:30
[DSL: Up] Monday, December 18,2017 05:08:57
[Internet disconnected] Monday, December 18,2017 05:08:34
[DSL: Down] Monday, December 18,2017 05:08:27 

So, this morning, the Wifi was working fine - but shortly after I left home, I noticed I could not connect to my Alexa device and  Security camera at home - which suggests the Wifi had gone down again.

So, the fact that I cannot reach the router even via wired connection and the wifi keeps going down, makes me think the Fibre connection is not a problem - rather the router has developed a fault. Although, I am wondering if some kind of weird fault on the Fibre can affect the router to the point of making it crash? Is that possible?

I ask about the Fibre angle becuase I have had 3 outages earlier in the year, the last being in October. At which point they replaced the wire from the pole in the street all the way to my house and also replaced the OpenReach faceplate. And things had been stable since then.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: D7000 suddenly not accepting WiFi or wired connections

Have you tested your 5ghz network when this is happening I know some people are reporting issues with the 2.4ghz but the 5 ghz is still working.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
harryw66
Aspirant

Re: D7000 suddenly not accepting WiFi or wired connections

Thanks -but had problems with both connection types and as I mentioned even ethernet connections were problematic.

I replaced the D7000 with a Billion 8800AXL R2 and everything is all good now..

Shame cos the D7000 was only 18months old - not a good lifespan for a £150 router.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7