Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D8500 (Modem Router) Cant connect to iinet VDSL

metafor
Aspirant

D8500 (Modem Router) Cant connect to iinet VDSL

Hi, I bought this modem a few weeks ago and have not been able to get it to connect to my iinet VDSL2 line (running on the old TransACT network infrastructure).

The DSL light goes white (which im assuming is good) but im never able to connect to the internet.

My current working set up is an iinet supplied VDSL modem in bridge mode connected to an older Netgear ADSL modem (so I can use NAT loopback).

1. VDSL Line -> iinet modem -> ADSL modem  = Working 

2. VDSL Line -> iinet modem = Working

2. VDSL Line -> iinet modem -> D8500 modem (Internet port) = Not working

3. VDSL Line -> D8500 modem (VDSL port) = Not working

I believe this is a firmware issue and I believe the D8500 may not support the version of VDSL that iinet is using (based on other threads on this forum).

Can you please inform me of 

1. How I can get this modem to connect correctly

2. How long I can expect to wait for a firmware update that will support iinet VDSL2 (over Transact line, in Canberra).

Currently I have an $800 paper weight.

Thanks

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello metafor

Is the connection a bonded DSL line if so Netgear modems do not support this.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 9
metafor
Aspirant

Hi, no I can confirm its not a bonded DSL line. 

Just for references also:

https://www.iinet.net.au/internet-products/broadband/vdsl2/

VDSL (Very-high-bitrate Digital Subscriber Line) gives you superfast broadband speeds delivered over our very own Fibre-to-the-Node network in the ACT. The data transmission runs over short lengths of copper cables connected between our own network nodes and your premises, which allows us to provide speeds much faster than ADSL2+.

Message 3 of 9

The link you provided suggests that you are in Oz. Does that mean that you are on an NBN network?

What is an NBN network and is my NETGEAR DSL modem router compatible? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 9
metafor
Aspirant

"The National Broadband Network (NBN) is an initiative started by the Australian government as a way of improving landline phones and Internet networks so that no matter where you live in Australia, you can access fast and reliable Internet services."

Yes I am in Oz, but no I am not on "The NBN". I am using the ISP iinet's network which is essentially FTTN, Fiber to the node then over copper the rest of the way, using VDSL (which may be the same protocol as the NBN, but I am not on the NBN).

I can see in many places that it says this modem is compatible. However after firmware updates and multiple attempts, the most I appear to be able to get is DSL sync, it does not login, I have recently read a possible work around that I will try tonight (Go through the wizard using forced DHCP, then once the wizard is finished change it to PPPoE with a username and password).

For such a high end Modem/Router, I am disappointed that I am having such a hard time getting it connected, especially seeing as how prevalent VDSL is.

Message 5 of 9

Outside of NBN networks, and "bonded" connections, I can't remember any cases where the Netgear modem would not work on a VDSL network. So, don't give up.

By coincidence, we have just been through another session with an Australian who had problems setting up their VDSL link. It turned out that their ISP used a different login regime from most, no username or password. For some reason, no two ISPs seem to implement the same flavour of DSL.

There is a manual for your device somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> R8500 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

You might find it helpful to go through the manual setup process. See page 36.

I can see that you have been playing around with your modem, sticking it behind a different modem – this can end up with addressing conflicts – so you may want to reset the D8500 to factory settings, to get it to forget any settings that the other modem may have forced on it.

I haven't seen problems with the D8500, but a different Netgear modem recently stopped working when people, many in Australia, applied new firmware. They had to roll back to an earlier version.

Message 6 of 9
metafor
Aspirant

I've tried near every combination of settings.

The DSL light in white, indicating a positive Sync, however the internet never reaches "Connected".

I played around again tonight, tried everything, reset to default, tried to use a force DHCP setting the Geenie then change to PPPoE as suggested as a work around on one website, nothing.

https://iihelp.iinet.net.au/iiNet_Broadband_Settings

iiNet VDSL2

Note that not all modems support VDSL2. Please check the technical specifications or the manufacturer's website if you're not sure.

DSL Standard/Mode/Modulation:
VDSL2
Connection Type/Mode/WAN Type:PPPoE
VLAN:10
VDSL Profile:17a Multi Mode
Username:N/A
Password:N/A
G.INP:Enabled
G.Vector:Enabled
DNS*:203.0.178.191

*Our alternate DNS address is 203.215.29.191

Note: Not all settings may be required when setting up your modem. If you encounter a setting that isn't listed here (e.g. MTU) in your modem's Setup Wizard/Quick Setup then it should be fine to leave it as the default.

The above is from the ISPs online guide. I've tried manually entering the DNS , setting to auto, changing to the correct VLAN, changing the provider name from iinet to TransACT (another suggestion on another website), it shouldn't be this hard.... I have an older netgear modem that I can use to connect via ADSL over my VDSL line, these newer Netgear modems are really frustrating and not helpful at all. I've heard whipsers that any modem that doesnt use Broadcom chips have a hard time.

I wish iinet / Netgear, could just give me exact settings that I need to enter into my D8500 to get it to connect to my VDSL, or provide a timeframe around a firmware fix if that is whats causing this issue.

Message 7 of 9

@metafor wrote:
changing the provider name from iinet to TransACT

How about having Other as service provider? And then filling in the details you have.

I have just noticed that there is no mention of the firmware version for your modem. What is it?

If it is already at the latest version, recent experiences here with other Antipodeans suggests one more thing you could try. Roll back to the previous firmware.

I say that because of this saga:

Netgear Nighthawk D7800 - Faulty firmware - .24 - NETGEAR Communities

Message 8 of 9
antinode
Guru

I have no VDSL experience, so I know nothing, but...

> The DSL light in white, indicating a positive Sync, however the internet
> never reaches "Connected".

That certainly suggests that the low-level DSL stuff is good, and the
problem must be at a higher level (authentication, protocols, ...).

> [...] I have an older netgear modem that I can use to connect via ADSL
> over my VDSL line, [...]

Actual model?  I wouldn't have expected the VDSL head-end to
condescend to deal with an ADSL modem, but what do I know?  I suppose
that any low-level connection-related data from that other ADSL modem
would be approximately useless for the VDSL, but PPPoE credentials and
so on might correspond.  (But "N/A" would seem to override the obvious
credentials.)

> I wish iinet / Netgear, could just give me exact settings that I need
> to enter into my D8500 to get it to connect to my VDSL, [...]

With an apparently good DSL link, I'd be arguing with my ISP.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7