Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DGN2200V4

MarcoCellini
Aspirant

DGN2200V4

Hello,

in recent weeks happen with 5/6 gg frequency the router in question loses its configuration, and you can no longer navigate.

You must open the browser (Firefox in Windows 7 environment), automatically starts the page at 192.168.0.1 and performs a "base" to the Internet network configuration, and after the connection to internet page using a green button . Without this, the router allows Internet browsing, I access to its management with default values (admin, password) reloading the saved configuration at the time of its first configuration, reboot and everything it will start working up to ....... next event!

Could you help me understand what's going on? I point out that never before has happened, I bought the router, I configured according to my demanding home networking and never a problem!

Thank you

Message 1 of 16
schumaku
Guru

Re: DGN2200V4

Ciao Marco,

Already tried a factory reset?

-Kurt

Message 2 of 16
MarcoCellini
Aspirant

Hi Kurt,
first all thank you for your support!

In date 23 06 2017 I made a factory reset and fw upgrade to last release available. Yesterday 26 06 2017 (after 3 days) the problem was present again.
Do you have any help for me!

Regards

Marco

Message 3 of 16

Did you factory reset after the firmware flash?

Message 4 of 16
MarcoCellini
Aspirant

No, I execute the factory reset before the new firmware flash.

Message 5 of 16

You should also do it after the flash.

In that way you wipe out any settings that may not be compatible with the new firmware.

Message 6 of 16
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

You should also do it after the flash.

In that way you wipe out any settings that may not be compatible with the new firmware.

Do you people think this is in any way user and consumers friendly? For many consumers, a router is "to much" to manage - reconfiguring things like DSL, DHCP reservation for static still like printers or other network devices can and will be a pain. I wonder that nobody is shouting loud at Netgear here about the many year long "factory reset after firmware update". Sounds not like professional product development to me. 

Welcome back to 1970. I could cry when I read this kind of advise .... especially when repeated by the Netgear Community people (not you, @michaelkenward) as a "standard" troubleshooting response. Users buying a Netgear router and having to reconfigure it from scratch regularly will unlikely buy Netgear again.

I could accept this on a US$ 9.95 router - but not on Netgear genie routers with a much higher price tag.

-Kurt

Message 7 of 16

Indeed, it should be possible to save key settings, or at least to print them out for easy reference, for use after a firmware flash.

It is a regular request.

My own strategy is not to reset the hardware until I see problems after an update. If there are none, then I just carry on. Unofrtunately, MarcoCellini does have problems.

As for the rest of your rant, I don't understand it or who you are talking to.

In any case, I doubt if it adds anything that will help MarcoCellini to solve their problem.

Can you help on that front?

Message 8 of 16
Toja60
Aspirant

Hi, I have this problem also, it's same if I use Genie, router stops responding (but still work in the background). tried severel browser, nothing helps.

It's really often the GUI hangs, almost every time I log in...

I have not done a factory reset, cause I have a many settings to manage, however, I always do a "Save configuration to a file"...

So, my question, If it's normal to do a factory reset after upgrading the firmware, what happens when I import config settings after the reset if it's not compatible?

Message 9 of 16

@Toja60 wrote:

So, my question, If it's normal to do a factory reset after upgrading the firmware, what happens when I import config settings after the reset if it's not compatible?

You are stuffed.

It often works to restore a settings backup, but if you still have problems, you will have to reconfigure from scratch.

Message 10 of 16
Toja60
Aspirant

Hi again, 
Made a factory reset and had a h*ll to enter all the DHCP devices, got error all the time with IE11 and latest Firefox. After a few hours looking for answers about that, I installed Opera, and then I could add all devices in DHCP section.

After the reset there seems to be some missing pages in the router, I got "404 The resource you have requested is not available" on the

button "Advanced home", and "Advanced\Administration\Router Status" the link is "http://192.168.0.1/ADV_home.htm"
Have tryed all browsers, same result.

Anyway, thanks for the "factory reset" advice, the router hasn't hanged yet... 🙂

Message 11 of 16
schumaku
Guru

A short Google investigation does often list some ad-blocker (like Adblock Plus) responsible for blocking the Advanced settings tab...

No experience with these older router models and decent Web browsers - hope you are aware that it's possible to work wiht IE11 compatibility view settings per Web page.

Message 12 of 16
Toja60
Aspirant

Thanks, I have no ADBlock installed in IE11 or Opera, and I have tried in compatible mode, doesn't work either.

I think DGN2200v4 is the best model so far, I have better connectivity (speed) than the D6000 using the same DSL settings.

Message 13 of 16
antinode
Guru

> After the reset there seems to be some missing pages in the router, I
> got "404 The resource you have requested is not available" on the
> button "Advanced home", and "Advanced\Administration\Router Status" the
> link is "http://192.168.0.1/ADV_home.htm"

Apparently, newer firmware eliminates such "404" errors by stopping
the Web server in such a situation.  It may not be entirely obvious that
this is an improvement.   For more details:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1313312

Message 14 of 16
petergmauro
Aspirant

ME TOO

Can anybody recomend some other router without Netgear's  problems?

Peter 

Message 15 of 16

Amazon?

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7