Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DGND3700v2 Locks Up

Mel_L
Aspirant

DGND3700v2 Locks Up

I've been using a Netgear DGND3700v2 modem/router for at least 5 years without problems, but I recently added a Sonos music system to my local house network, and now the Netgear modem/router, about once every 24 hours, locks up and stops me connecting to the internet when using desktops on my LAN, and even stops me logging on using the GUI (at 192.168.0.1).

However, I have found that I can logon to the modem/router GUI with Wifi using an Apple iPad. And once I'm logged on I can free the modem/router again by simply resetting one of the modifiable configuration pages - I usually just click Apply on the wireless page without change.

The log indicates that the most recent modem/router events were a few DHCP renewals and some port probes which the modem/router's firewall takes to be a denial of service (DoS) attach categorised as ACK SCAN, usually to port 443 (uPnP).

Is this a common behaviour? Is there another way to unlock the modem/router, or stop it locking up? I'm thinking of getting a replacement modem/router from an alternative manufacturer unless I can find a solution.

Model: DGND3700v2|N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ADSL2+ MODEM ROUTER
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Mel_L
Aspirant

Re: DGND3700v2 Locks Up

I've added this message for completeness. I had a phone call from Netgear support yesterday (Tuesday 26th) and we spoke for a long time about my problem. Amongst other changes, the Netgear support expert advised me to place my Sonos Boost in the router's DMZ, which I did. After the conversation I looked at the router log and found the Boost was being attacked continuously by known hackers (whois). I removed the Boost from the DMZ and checked with the Sonos community support experts who told me that putting the Boost in the DMZ is a very bad idea, and not needed, because the Boost is not designed to receive connections initiated externally, and only makes outgoing connections to internet sites.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

There is a manual for the DGND3700v2 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> DGND3700v2 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

Message 2 of 7
Mel_L
Aspirant

Firmware Version is V1.1.00.26_1.00.2

Message 3 of 7
Mel_L
Aspirant

Hi Michael,

Sorry, but I was in so much hurry to reply I forgot the niceties. Many thanks for answering my post. Thanks also for the link but I've downloaded the manual already.

Mel_L

Message 4 of 7
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Mel_L,

Does removing the Sonos from the network fix the issue? Any sort of additional settings that you've enabled on the DGND3700v2 (ie access control, traffic meter)?

Dexter

Message 5 of 7
Mel_L
Aspirant

Hi Dexter,

Apart from setting it up for the internet and my LAN, the only change I made from defaults is to assign a fixed IP address to one of my desktops (it runs an app which needs to fix it's own IP address). I've run the modem/router without problems for many years, and only experienced this problem after adding the Sonos components.

Originally I was switching the Sonos components off overnight, but I was told by Sonos not to do that, and to leave them on all the time. I added the Sonos components gradually one or 2 at a time, and the modem/router started locking up when I added the last few. I've not tried switching the Sonos system off, and I'm reluctant to do so. There's now 9 Sonos components, 2 desktops, and an iPad connected to the modem/router continuously.

The lockup has now become a regular occurance within a few minutes of starting the music early in the morning. I leave the modem/router on all the time, just like the Sonos components. When the lockup occurs, I use an iPad to logon to the modem/router on wifi, and it reports the internet is good, and the statistics show wireless packet transmission activity. I now always have to cycle power on the router/modem in order to restore connectivity to the desktops. However, after that, the system (Sonos, modem/router, desktops) works normally all day.

I've read posts on this forum from other users with the same symptoms which been ascribed to supposed (mistaken?) denial of service attacks via port probes, and wondered if this problem still exists in Netgear modem/routers? My log certainly shows a number of events labelled "DoS Attack - ACK probe", and DHCP renewals, which precede the lockup.

Message 6 of 7
Mel_L
Aspirant

I've added this message for completeness. I had a phone call from Netgear support yesterday (Tuesday 26th) and we spoke for a long time about my problem. Amongst other changes, the Netgear support expert advised me to place my Sonos Boost in the router's DMZ, which I did. After the conversation I looked at the router log and found the Boost was being attacked continuously by known hackers (whois). I removed the Boost from the DMZ and checked with the Sonos community support experts who told me that putting the Boost in the DMZ is a very bad idea, and not needed, because the Boost is not designed to receive connections initiated externally, and only makes outgoing connections to internet sites.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7