Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DGND4000 traffic flicker?

WebSurfer593
Aspirant

DGND4000 traffic flicker?

Just installed this modem, updated firmware to v14 all fine - disturbingly there is no data flicker (internet led) on the front panel?

is this considered normal?
Message 1 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

HARD RESET the router after flashing the firmware. If still the same revert the firmware. If that fixes the issues. Contact support with bug
Message 2 of 15
WebSurfer593
Aspirant

Hiya,
Neither v10 nor v14 (hard reset!) show internet flicker (data) at the front
Message 3 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

People have complain about flashing LED bother then , can't sleep BS so Netgear has made solid
Message 4 of 15
WebSurfer593
Aspirant

You do realise that you have taken away the only visual control of (suspicious) internet data traffic?

At least make it an optional setting in the admin panel? can that be done?

that was a seriously bad idea!
Message 5 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Hey blame those user complain it

Not me. Forum is user to user including me
Message 6 of 15
WebSurfer593
Aspirant

The blame is on those who did not think far enough to make it OPTIONAL!
1 checkbox would have solved the issue for both sides 😉

not good enough, buddy!
Message 7 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

not good enough, buddy!

Again.... NO ONE is from Netgear. This is USER TO USER FORUM

Take to support directly at my.netgear.com or live with ti
Message 8 of 15
Devor
Luminary

Netgear must of felt sorry for all the people sleeping with their routers and changed the LED status after the user manual was released. Because on page 15 the user manual states:

Blinking green
Data is being transmitted over the Internet connection.

The first time I heard about a router not having a blinking Internet LED was with a different router model. My first thought, like yours, was Netgear should include an option in the configuration. Although, the manual for that particular router never mentioned anything about a blinking Internet LED.
Message 9 of 15
WebSurfer593
Aspirant

Oh, btw, the wireless data light is still flickering - just not the ADSL light (sigh)

I love you Netgear (sigh)
Message 10 of 15
WebSurfer593
Aspirant

Wow, I launched an support ticket with Netgear - are they really that dumb or they just don't want to understand? I am impressed!

Response from NETGEAR
Dear Mr. xxxxxx,

Thank you for the prompt response. Is the internet light off or solid green? We do not have a firmware for a solid green internet light. As long long as it is green and your devices are online router is working properly.

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR.

Regards,

@@@
Expert ID 46185
NETGEAR Support Expert

Please refer to Case # in22028xxx any calls and or correspondence with NETGEAR support.
Discussion Thread
Customer (xxxx) 10/5/2013 8:41:00 AM
The internet LEd *never blinks* even data is transmitted - that's the problem!
Message 11 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Flashes , flashing is better word then blinks

Blinking will better then blinks
Message 12 of 15
WebSurfer593
Aspirant

They understood very well - just trying to confuse people with "smart" responses deliberately not addressing the questions.

Netgear seriously lost their plot since the 3700 patch up disaster and the 4000 is not getting better - why is this modem so slooow to boot up? About double the time of the 3700. There must be an 8086 dual core cpu inside?

/vent
Message 13 of 15
Devor
Luminary

One of my general gripes about router manufacturer's is their panicky instructions to immediately update the firmware on a new router install. If followed to the letter, the user usually doesn't have any time to get familiar with the existing firmware.

I can hear Liam Neeson saying, "Hurry, there is no time"! 😄

My point is, router manufactures believe that their latest firmware is the best, but for no other reason than it's the latest. This, of course, is not always true. Newer is not always better.

So, when you mentioned at the top that you had just installed the combo unit and upgraded the firmware to v1.1.00.14, the natural presumption is that the router started out with the initial release of the v1.1.00.10 firmware.

Do you know if the Internet LED was blinking green on the initial v1.1.00.10 firmware before upgrading to the v1.1.00.14 firmware? Not what it did when you reverted back to the v1.1.00.10 firmware, but originally.

If you don't know the answer to this, then what we need is someone that also owns a DGND4000 who would share their experiences on the matter.

Meanwhile, when you changed firmware, did you share configuration files between firmware versions?

Saved configuration files are fine within the same firmware version, but should be avoided being used to prevent reintroducing issues between different firmware versions. Although most of the time you can get away with it, the proper way is to reset the router and enter everything from scratch. As mentioned in the link in my signature, step four.

Just a thought.
Message 14 of 15
WebSurfer593
Aspirant

Devor wrote:

Do you know if the Internet LED was blinking green on the initial v1.1.00.10 firmware before upgrading to the v1.1.00.14 firmware? Not what it did when you reverted back to the v1.1.00.10 firmware, but originally.
Just a thought.

I think I mentioned it here before - out of the box that modem never flickered the Internet LED (data travel) ... not with original v10 nor v14 firmware and, yes, I always did A HARD reset after flashing back/forth to test the situation.

okay, I am now away for ~1h 🙂

This sh*t bugs the hell out of me 😞
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7