Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DM200 connection problems

Theslop
Initiate

DM200 connection problems

Hi all,

Recently purchased this modem/router as an upgrade to a DG834.

This first unit prchased via Amazon would not even power up.

Unit replaced by Amazon within 2 days, which I have no complaints about at all.

The replacement unit when connected as per manual will not find an internet connection.

I have tried for several hours using different methods but to no avail.

IT WILL NOT CONNECT.

Before I contact Amazon again and report a second faulty unit I was hoping someone on here would be able to help me.

One reason for purchase was the reviews stating how easy it was to setup and connect!!!

I know its not the internet connection because if I reinstall the DG834 it connects immediately.

I'm by no means a network expert so please dont ask to many technical questions in any reply, I'm in the UK and using a MacBookPro with the latest firmware.

Thank You

Message 1 of 14
SystemErrorMess
Aspirant

I have reviewed the DM200 and it should be called the dm100 instead (its only capable of 100Mb/s not 200Mb/s download as claimed).

There is a firmware bug for configuration, you have to use auto config/detect first before you dwelve into advanced,

Heres the link to it http://www.snbforums.com/threads/netgear-dm200-modem-review.34895/

Message 2 of 14

Are you using the "wizard" to set this up.

It can be easier to set it up manually.

See the bit in the manual:

Manage the Internet Settings Manually

DM200 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Which ISP are you on?

Message 3 of 14

According to the manual, the DM200 provides:

Up to 100 Mbps, both upstream and downstream

100 + 100 = 200

Message 4 of 14
SystemErrorMess
Aspirant

Quite wrong, you cannot add them both up for one way.

For example the DM200 specifies 200Mb/s download, now how are you going to transmit 200Mb/s out of a 100Mb/s ethernet port? even though its full duplex it can only pass 100Mb/s per direction at a time. It didnt specicify 200Mb/s total, it specified 200Mb/s download.

Message 5 of 14
SystemErrorMess
Aspirant

Quite wrong, you cannot add them both up for one way.

For example the DM200 specifies 200Mb/s download, now how are you going to transmit 200Mb/s out of a 100Mb/s ethernet port? even though its full duplex it can only pass 100Mb/s per direction at a time. It didnt specicify 200Mb/s total, it specified 200Mb/s download.

Message 6 of 14

Quite wrong. Well, total rubbish to be honest.

You have to understand how these things are defined and described, and where they measure traffic flow, not to mention the industry standards. (Check the "AV" standard for powerline devices for some wonderful magic that all too often confuses the semi informed.)

You also have to realise that those numbers are marketing tactics. They don't lie but they bend the rules by describing stuff in the most beneficial (to them) terms.

Did you actually look at the manual? Did you find the bit that I quoted?

To save you the hassle of digging it out, or of re-reading my message, let me quote it again. It is on page 107, DM200 modem specifications:

Up to 100 Mbps, both upstream and downstream

Perhaps you have a different source for this information.

Oh, and what does your intervention have to do with the original question? How does the speed issue help Theslop with their connection problem?

Let me repeat the original question:

IT WILL NOT CONNECT.

Any thoughts on how your insights on the download speed can help them?

Message 7 of 14

The new FW made the DM200 unstable.

Message 8 of 14
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello aalexandrebeta

Can you give some examples of what is happening since updating the firmware.

DarrenM

Message 9 of 14

@aalexandrebeta wrote:

The new FW made the DM200 unstable.

Did you restore the device to its factory settings after the update? This isn't always necessary, but there are times when the changes make this advisable.

Message 10 of 14
rod301
Initiate

Model: D1500|N300 WiFi DSL Modem Router-Essential Edition,DM111|ADSL 2+ Modem
Message 11 of 14
rod301
Initiate

The DM200 was a royal pain to configure. Try this: 1) Hook it up to your PC with Ethernet cable (no router) 2) use Ethernet cable and phone cable that came with it. 3) All lights on modem should be green. Disable\Pause your Anti Virus. 4) open Internet Explorer, it may connect to the modem config page, if not type in routerlogin.net, it should open the Netgear config page, but it may not. 5) If not or if it does but unable to go forward, reset the modem with a paperclip inserted into the reset hole on the modem back. 6) When lights are all 3 green on modem open Int Explorer and try to open Netgear config genie again. 7) I had to do this reset 3-4 (lost count) times until it finally completed the config. successfully. Finally hook your router in. DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO ALL OF THIS THEN FIND A IT TECH FRIEND TO HELP YOU. The DM200 was a lot of work for me. I wonder if the Netgear techs have ever tried to set a DM200 up. I would not recommend the DM200 to others. One last item: if you have the Internet Explorer open and you have typed the address routerlogin.net and hit ENTER but no Netgear sign-in comes up, it's there but it is in back of Int Explorer. Minimize IE and there it is.
Message 12 of 14

@rod301 wrote:

if not type in routerlogin.net, it should open the Netgear config page

An alternative is to try the IP address. The manual says:

You can also type http://www.routerlogin.com or http://192.168.5.1. The procedures in this manual use http://www.routerlogin.net

It is also worth trying a different browser.

Message 13 of 14
cz016m
Aspirant

I bought a DM200 from Best Buy on 12/28/2017 and I was not able to set it up with AT&T. It took about 10 minutes for it to load routerlogin.net. I think there is a software bug in the firmware. Once I was able to select my ISP, I clicked Next and it took another 10 minutes to respond. It responded with "400 Bad Request. This server does not support the operation requested by your client". I had the computer connected directly to the DM200 via ethernet cable. I tried three browsers multiple times. I called AT&T and they weren't able to figure it out, but they suggested I contact Netgear. I called Netgear and their tech wasn't able to figure it out either, even after performing a factory reset. There was no screen to do anything but initial configuration so I wasn't able to manually update the firmware. I am going to return the modem to Best Buy next week. Netgear needs to spend more time testing its products before sending them to market.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7