Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Dgn1000v3. My win XP machine can't get a webpage

Scranderberry
Aspirant

Dgn1000v3. My win XP machine can't get a webpage

Hi, about month or so ago my desktop computer (via Ethernet, no wifi) became a bit intermittent on the internet. Now it won't connect to the internet at all. I just get page not found. Interestingly, I can get the netgear genie up. I rang my isp, then I rang hp, eventually they suggested to try netgear. In the process, I reset my computer to factory settings but this did not help. Wondered if maybe the router performed an update I don't know about which is clashing with xp? Any ideas? Thanks.
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dgn1000v3. My win XP machine can't get a webpage

If it won't talk to any device, then you will probably have to throw some sort of recovery software at it. This isn't a Netgear issue.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Is the DSL light on the router lit?  If so, what color is it?  (green or red). http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/DGN1000V3/DGN1000v3_UM_1Aug2013.pdf

Also, is the XP computer the only device that uses the router?

Message 2 of 10
Scranderberry
Aspirant

Hi, firstly, thanks for replying.

yes all correct lights are on, all other divices (5 or 6 wifi and 1 wired) in the house are connected, no problem.

From the problem machine I can see the home network, I just can't get a webpage.

Model: DGN1000v3|N150 Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router
Message 3 of 10

I wonder if this XP machine hasd finally succumbed to the meltdown that was predicted when Microsoft withdrew support from it. Today's advice is that no XP machine should go anywhere near the Internet.

Have you run as many virus checks as you can?

You say that the PC can see the local network, is that wifi or LAN?

I have one PC (Windows 10) that sometimes switches off its own LAN. (The lights don't show.)

Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Scranderberry wrote:

yes all correct lights are on, all other divices (5 or 6 wifi and 1 wired) in the house are connected, no problem.

From the problem machine I can see the home network, I just can't get a webpage.

If you run the windows command line (MS-DOS application in XP), and enter

ping 8.8.8.8

do you get a reply?

Message 5 of 10
Scranderberry
Aspirant

Thanks everyone, I actually reset the computer to factory settings then reinstalled all of the drivers I could find.

Then, I almost got a webage - it started to load but failed. Then, although google wouldn't load, IE took me to BING where I managed to get a couple more websites half loading. I managed to then dl firefox and that worked.

The computer now seems OK with one exception: the almost full 2 TB external drive I had connected when it failed won't connect to any computer now!

Any suggestions for that one???

Thanks

Scranderberry

Message 6 of 10

@Scranderberry wrote:

The computer now seems OK with one exception: the almost full 2 TB external drive I had connected when it failed won't connect to any computer now!

Any suggestions for that one???

How is the external drive connected?

Message 7 of 10
Scranderberry
Aspirant

Hi Michael, thanks for replying.
It's USB.
Message 8 of 10

If it won't talk to any device, then you will probably have to throw some sort of recovery software at it. This isn't a Netgear issue.

Message 9 of 10
Scranderberry
Aspirant

Thanks, I'll look into that but you're right, it's not a netgear issue. I appreciate your help!
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7