Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware update 1.0.3.36_1.0.1.chk

2Beers
Tutor

Firmware update 1.0.3.36_1.0.1.chk

After installing firmware the router fails to boot with only the power light showing a steady amber and the only other light showing is the ethernet port that the cable is plugged into. I have tried to tftp the firmware to the modem but no success. Using the router on BT Infinity.

with windows 10 also not sure that I am using tftp correctly.

can anyone help please have only had the router since yesterday.

apologies if this is in the wrong area

Message 1 of 6
2Beers
Tutor

it is a D8500 – Nighthawk Tri-Band WiFi VSDL/ADSL Modem Router

Message 2 of 6

@2Beers wrote:

....only the power light showing a steady amber 

This is a sign that the firmware flash failed. If a simple factory reset does not work, you need to get into recovery mode.

To get into recovery mode, press the reset button as you turn the thing on, and keep it presses until the power LED starts to flash.

After you have done that you need to use tftp to write the firmware into the device's memory.

The tftp instructions are here:

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Follow those details for setting up the local IP address. But you probably don't have to go to the trouble if downloading a tftp clients. In Windows 10 at least, it is a buried feature that you can enable.

How to enable TFTP client on Windows 10

Now ping the modem's IP address as set up according to the instructions. 

If that works, you are ready to use tftp to write the firmware to the modem/router.

One trick to make it is easier is to navigate to the folder that holds the local copy of the firmware, then right click and tell it to "Command Prompt Here". The you can issue the tftp command without having to include the folder path.

If the process is successful, it will tell you "Transfer successful...." followed by some numbers.

At the end of the process, the device should restart itself.

Message 3 of 6
2Beers
Tutor

Tried that but the power light never changes I should add that when powering up with the reset held in all the indicator lights flash then go off except for the power light and the ethernet port light and using tftp2 just times out. 

I fear that the router may be beyond recovery as it doesnt seem to recognise that a network cable is plugged in although its showing on the router.

Thanks

Message 4 of 6

@2Beers wrote:

Tried that but the power light never changes 

What does it look like when you try to put it into recovery mode?

What colour is the power LED?

If it stays solid amber, then you are stuffed.

...it doesnt seem to recognise that a network cable is plugged in although its showing on the router.

What doesn't recognise that the network cable is plugged in? The PC?

I assume that the PC's LAN is fine with other devices.

Might be simpler just to return it to the supplier.

Message 5 of 6
2Beers
Tutor

Think you may be right will return it after the New year hols

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements