Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LAN port 4 not working on D7000

steviep94
Tutor

LAN port 4 not working on D7000

I've recently changed my TV and have come to want to use the 4th LAN port to plug into the TV - the trouble is that the port itself doesn't appear to be working!?!?!

I seem to remember an issue with one of the LAN ports being "reserved" for IPTV use when I first got the D7000 but when I looked at my forum posts back then there was an option to not use it for IPTV and I assume it's worked ever since!?!? The trouble is I'm sure there has been a firmware update since then and the option which was in Advanced>Internet Setup appears to have changed (probably with a firmware update!)

Does anyone know if there is a setting that could have reset following a firmware update and how to switch it back so I can use LAN port 4 as just a regular LAN port again??

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 10
netwrks
Master

Re: LAN port 4 not working on D7000

Irregardless of what may be logically associated with a port, physically, it should light up, if you insert a functioning Ethernet cable into the port. Either the port is dead, or the Ethernet cable is bad / not properly seated into one end of a connection. If the port is dead , buy a cheap unmanaged gig switch, plug it into a functioning router port, and plug your devices into the switch.

Message 2 of 10
steviep94
Tutor

Thanks for the reply!

I know the cable is fine because it works when I plug it in to ports 1, 2 & 3 - in terms of the port itself being faulty, although it's not giving me internet access on whatever device I plug in via it (I've tried both the TV and my laptop!) these devices do seem to recognise the fact that they are plugged into "something"!?!? (and the LED lights up on the D7000 itself!)

This is what has led me to think it's the same problem I had when I first got the router (in fact I actually returned one thinking it was faulty before realising that the "IPTV" option was enabled!) - although I've since found the IPTV setting in the router but it's not enabled!?!?

I know I can get an unmanaged switch to get round the issue but it's bugging me that it should work!!!

Message 3 of 10
netwrks
Master

On your laptop, if you do an ipconfig /all, when connected to port 4, do get a valid  ip address / gateway address?  If you feel nothing is configed on port 4 to impede your connectivity to the internet, you could try a reset to factory default, and see if that fixes your problem..

Message 4 of 10
steviep94
Tutor

This just gets weirder and wierder!

I basically decided to not use LAN port 4 because of the issue and proceeded to plug in my new Sony TV to LAN port 3 - all is well for a couple of days until it stopped connecting today!?!?!

Anyway, I decided to test ports 1 and 2 - no issues with either the TV or my laptop but 3 and 4 were registering as something being plugged in but no connectivity (either to the internet or my NAS box!) - rebooted the router and all 4 ports are magically working again!

So the only conclusion I can think of is that plugging my new TV in via ethernet is working initially but then "corrupting" the port, rendering it useless until I reboot the router!?!?!?!

Luckily I can connect via WiFi to the TV but I don't like the idea that connecting via ethernet is somehow "breaking" the port!!!! (especially as the router is directly behind the TV and I prefer a wired connection to wireless!)

Has anyone else encountered this?? (could it possibly have something to do with the fact that it appears as though the ethernet speed on the TV is only 100mbps (it shows an amber LED when plugged in!) as opposed to gigabit??)

Thanks for any suggestions...

Message 5 of 10
steviep94
Tutor

Hmmmm, this just gets stranger and stranger!

Due to a lack of time I decided to just ignore the "faulty" LAN port 4 until I could get hold of an additional switch but then, while being plugged into LAN port 3, the TV again failed to connect to the internet (it was showing as being plugged in but with no internet or NAS access!)

So I then decided to take the TV out of the equation and tried connecting my laptop via ethernet - this time ports 3 AND 4 wouldn't work but 1 and 2 were fine!?!?

I decided to reboot the router and hey-presto, all 4 ports work fine!

It's as though plugging the TV into any given ethernet port somehow "corrupts" the port, after a period of a day or so of it working fine!?!?!? (but apparently can be solved with a reboot!?!?)

For now I've bypassed the problem by connecting the TV via WiFi but since the router is directly behind the TV (and the fact that I prefer a wired connection wherever possible!) I'd really like to find out the issue!

Has anyone encountered anything similar and have any ideas what the problem could be? (I've since read that the TV only connects at 100mbps as opposed to it being a Gigabit connection (it displays an orange LED when connected which apparently means that the port is operating at a speed less than the router is capable of operating at) is it possible this be something to do with it??)

Thanks for any suggestions guys!

Message 6 of 10
steviep94
Tutor

Sorry about the double post - looked online and my first post didn't appear to have been recognised!
Message 7 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello steviep94

Have you tried a different ethernet cord? are you using the latest firmware?

DarrenM

Message 8 of 10
steviep94
Tutor

I've tried various ethernet cables but I have to admit I'm not on the latest firmware - simply because the last time I upgraded I had a nightmare with my DHCP address reservations not working!

Has this issue been fixed now?
Message 9 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Steviep94

Other users having the DHCP problem reported they had no problems with DHCP after the latest firmware.

DarrenM

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7