Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Router/VMDG490/Serial Num 3PM347W003CF5

tinhatmoose
Aspirant

Netgear Router/VMDG490/Serial Num 3PM347W003CF5

Pretty sure this has been asked before but here goes anyhoo!! I live in the U.K.

I have a netgear router provided by "we don`t give a crap" Virgin Media!!!

I`ve downloaded Netgear Genie app but my router won`t let me change my user-name to the default "Admin" which ships with Netgear Genie.

Model Number isn`t listed on the Netgear site but just wondering if I can change the default user-name in the Genie app to my router default?

I`ve tried changing it using the router settings but it won`t let me change the password to admin and the Genie app doesn`t give the option either.

I`ve tried getting info from Virgin Media but to be honest,I`ve now given up after countless emails to their tech department which seems to be somewhere in outer Mombasa.......

I`m assuming that the router is made under licence in China,at least thats what the info says on the router casing.

Any chance of Netgear Genie being made compatible for use in the U.K. anytime soon?

Using Windows 10 64 bit home edition btw. (worst decision I`ve made and forgot to roll back before the expiry date)

Many Thanks chaps.

Message 1 of 4

Re: Netgear Router/VMDG490/Serial Num 3PM347W003CF5

Not sure what you are trying to do here.

@tinhatmoose wrote:

I have a netgear router provided by "we don`t give a crap" Virgin Media!!!

I`ve downloaded Netgear Genie app but my router won`t let me change my user-name to the default "Admin" which ships with Netgear Genie.

Netgear hard wires its devices to be admin. You can't change it, so maybe they have done something similar with the one you have.

Why do you want to change the username? (I assume this is the modem's username rather than the wifi "username".)

@tinhatmoose wrote:
Any chance of Netgear Genie being made compatible for use in the U.K. anytime soon?

It is already compatible. Works fine in Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Message 2 of 4
tinhatmoose
Aspirant

Hi there and thanks for reply.

The problem I have is this.

Router has shipped with settings password set as "changeme" and wps pin which works fine.

My old router shipped with settings password set as "admin" which wasn`t a problem.

Netgear Genie has "admin" as the default setting and it`s this I was hoping to change but the router itself will not let me alter the "changeme" default to "admin" which means I can`t access some of the settings in Genie.

I don`t have the option of reverting back to the old router as it is no longer supported by my ISP (Virgin Media)

Everthing else in Genie works fine but no option to change the settings password.

My router isn`t listed on the U.S or U.K site.

I`m going to contact the supplier (Virgin Media) AGAIN!!! 😃 but not going to be holding my breath in anticipation of any solution.

Thanks anyway for your help,I`ll let you know if I solve it.

Message 3 of 4

@tinhatmoose wrote:

Netgear Genie has "admin" as the default setting

That is probably the username rather than the password.

Netgear uses that as the default while the default password is password.

Reference to "WPS pin" suggests that you are talking about the wifi. In which case that has a different password and username (actually SSID).

By the way, you talk of the Netgear Genie. This can be one of several things. A desktop app, an Android app or an iThing app.

The best thing to use is none of these. Instead use a wired connection and the browser to access the device's web interface. (This is also, confusingly, known as the Netgear Genie.)

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7