Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Installation DM200 - No Wizard or internet

Tpause70
Aspirant

New Installation DM200 - No Wizard or internet

My mothers DSL router quit. I purchased Netgear DM200. Followeded the quick start guide and first the set up wizard doesn't pop up and second it want go to netgear.router.net because there is No internet connection. All 3 lights are green. I have no other internet available there besides my phone.

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Tpause70
Aspirant

Re: New Installation DM200 - No Wizard or internet

Ok, 

• I opened DM200 package.
  • I followed the quick start guide to #3 of course ensuring that I had the phone cord in the correct filter port 🙂
  • At this point, I attempted www.routerlogin.net & com & 192.168.0.1 etc
  • I did not try 192.168.5.1 as I would have had to have the users manual to see that. It does not come with the package and I can't look it up on the net because my Mothers Net is down due to a dead modem.
  • So with no other information, and unable to find Netgear's phone number and unable to get to the modem page I was dead in the water.
  • I am at home now trying to gather as much information as I can to start my 2nd attempt.
  • I have downloaded the manual to my laptop and a few other potential fixes.
  • Question - The 2 guys/gals that have tryed to help me have mentioned modem, router mode. The DM200 is just a modem , correct?

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 11

All Replies

You are trying to set this up using a phone? Is that what your mother will use the modem for?

Are you using the genie app for whatever phone you have?

What are you doing and where does it go wrong?

It won't be easy to do things without a PC, but it should be possible.

You don't have to use the setup wizard. You can use the browser on your phone to go to the device's browser interface.

Before you do that you need to connect to the DM200 using the phone's wifi and the SSID and password on the back.

Then go to

www.routerlogin.net

using the default password on the back of the DM200. Note, that isn't the same as the wifi password.

Then configure the Internet settings that you get from the Internet service provider.

Message 2 of 11
Tpause70
Aspirant

I apologize for the confusion. I am setting it up for a PC. I can't get to routerlogin.net or .com or http//192.168.1.1 or anywhere else because the computer is not connecting to the internet. All of the wires are connected correctly and even using the filter. The new modem is lighting up properly but I can't do anything else. I was meaning to state that the only way I can get help is through my phone and that is real frustrating.

I am trying to set it up hardwire and when that is accomlished I was going to add her router.

Message 3 of 11

@Tpause70 wrote:

I apologize for the confusion. I am setting it up for a PC. I can't get to routerlogin.net or .com or http//192.168.1.1 or anywhere else because the computer is not connecting to the internet.

You do not need access to the Internet to get into the modem's controls.

This may help:

If you cannot login to your router | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I am trying to set it up hardwire and when that is accomlished I was going to add her router.

You will have to configure the DM200 to be in "modem only" mode.

Message 4 of 11
Tpause70
Aspirant

Those instructions say router....Is it the same steps for a modem?

Message 5 of 11
antinode
Guru

> Followeded the quick start guide [...]

Which part?  I see: "3. Set Up the DSL Modem in Router (Modem +
Router) Mode and Connect to the Internet" and "4. (Optional) Connect a
Router to the DSL Modem".

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/DM200/DM200_QSG_EN.pdf

> I can't get to routerlogin.net or .com or http//192.168.1.1 or
> anywhere else because the computer is not connecting to the internet.

"I can't" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say what
you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions with their actual results (error messages, ...)
can be more helpful than vague descriptions or interpretations.

Did you look at the DM200 User Manual?  Visit
http://www.netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look for
Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Does it say anything about
"192.168.1.1"?  The address I see there is "192.168.5.1".

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/DM200/DM200_UM_EN.pdf

And, as already explained, routerlogin.net or .com or http//192.168.5.1
is your own modem+router, not some Web site in the outside world.

> All of the wires are connected correctly and even using the filter.

There are right ways and wrong ways to use the filter.

> Those instructions say router....Is it the same steps for a modem?

The default configuration for a DM200 is as a modem+router, so they
should be close, but why not start with the DM200 User Manual?  It
should apply directly to a DM200.

Message 6 of 11
Tpause70
Aspirant

Ok, 

• I opened DM200 package.
  • I followed the quick start guide to #3 of course ensuring that I had the phone cord in the correct filter port 🙂
  • At this point, I attempted www.routerlogin.net & com & 192.168.0.1 etc
  • I did not try 192.168.5.1 as I would have had to have the users manual to see that. It does not come with the package and I can't look it up on the net because my Mothers Net is down due to a dead modem.
  • So with no other information, and unable to find Netgear's phone number and unable to get to the modem page I was dead in the water.
  • I am at home now trying to gather as much information as I can to start my 2nd attempt.
  • I have downloaded the manual to my laptop and a few other potential fixes.
  • Question - The 2 guys/gals that have tryed to help me have mentioned modem, router mode. The DM200 is just a modem , correct?
Message 7 of 11

@Tpause70 wrote:

Yes. But it can do routery things, which is why you'll have to tweak it when you add the existing router to the network. The Quick Start thing explains that move.

But leave that until later.

You said earlier that the lights on the DM200 were behaving properly. That is a good sign.

If the power LED is solid white and the DSL LED is solid green, you are most of the way there.

As you have been playing around with this box for a bit, I'd be tempted to go back to the beginning. Reset the DM200 to its factory defaults and start all over again.

That might persuade the setup wizard to kick in.

I take it you are using the PC to set up the modem. If the PC is used to seeing the older modem and router when it connects to the Internet, there is no harm in rebooting it, if you haven't done so already. That will make it forget whatever addresses it had in its memory for local things.

There may also be funny things that you have to do that are down to your mother's Internet service provider. Mostly it is just a case of finding out how to login to the network, the username and password. But sometimes ISPs have their quirky ways.

Which ISP is it?

Message 8 of 11
Tpause70
Aspirant

ATT. Thanks for all of the help. I was able to get to the Genie and also Netgear Mode page. After doing so, ATT and myself determined that something is wrong with the incoming signal. Scheduled a Tech and after that visit hopefully I will be hardwired to the net. Then I will hopefully be able to link the wifi. Thanks for all of the help.

Message 9 of 11

Uh, oh. Perhaps the old modem wasn't bust after all.

Message 10 of 11
antinode
Guru

> Question - The 2 guys/gals that have tryed to help me have mentioned
> modem, router mode. The DM200 is just a modem , correct?

Would instructions (even from Netgear) for "just a modem" say things
like, "Set Up the DSL Modem in Router (Modem + Router) Mode"?

The DM200 may not include the kind of router which might cause one to
swell with pride, but does "just a modem" seem to you to cover it?

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7