Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk D7000 2.4Ghz WiFi issues

killscreen
Guide

I have 3 google homes and 2 chromecasts.

About 2 weeks ago after a month of issues with the netgear, I replaced it with an Asus DSL-AC68U. The wifi issues went away and I still have 3 google homes and 2 chromecasts.

Why does the Asus work fine with these devices but not the netgear? So for me I put the issue on netgear.
Message 351 of 595
killscreen
Guide

Not really a good comparison. If there is a vulnerability effecting some OS but not others, it's probably because there's a specific part of that OS that can be exploited and it's up to that OS to release a bug fix.

You are kinda proving my point though saying router vendors are releasing fixes. Netgear need to release a fix!
Message 352 of 595
johnmcl7
Apprentice

@michaelkenward wrote:

This is an amusing turn of events after all the complaints and insults thrown at Netgear's support people.

Have all the victims of this bug tried disabling anything Chromecast on their networks?

That would be an interesting experiment. It is surprising that it has taken so long for the Chromecast issue to surface. But one or two people here have dropped their Chromecast experience into the mix.

It's a fault with both Netgear and the Google devices, the fact it only affects a select few routers rather than all demonstrates that.  Also before you let Netgear off the hook so easily, TP-Link (who are normally looked down on for networking devices) figured this out before Netgear and have managed to release firmware to fix it.

Yes, people have tried disabling all their Chromecast/Home devices (as have I) but the issue still occurs, it's not clear if other Android OS devices can cause the issue.

Message 353 of 595

@johnmcl7 wrote:

...it's not clear if other Android OS devices can cause the issue.

I wondered about that too, especially after someone mentioned streaming with a different Google device.

Message 354 of 595
SuperSonicBoom
Aspirant

Message 355 of 595
Anarkii51
Tutor

My 7000 was going along ok now I want to throw it at the wall. I thought it was my internet provider that was the issue.
I've been having issues for the last month. Tonight internet got real slow it was useless re start the modem still no good then all by itself it's ok again.
Only have a pixel2 connected to the 2.4 band atm anyway I'm not sure if I should cancel my fault call or not!
I did update the firmware before Xmas thinking the update might be a fix. Might reset the modem back to factory, remove the Google home app from my phone and hope for the best This sucks
Message 356 of 595
johnmcl7
Apprentice

@Anarkii51 wrote:
My 7000 was going along ok now I want to throw it at the wall. I thought it was my internet provider that was the issue.
I've been having issues for the last month. Tonight internet got real slow it was useless re start the modem still no good then all by itself it's ok again.
Only have a pixel2 connected to the 2.4 band atm anyway I'm not sure if I should cancel my fault call or not!
I did update the firmware before Xmas thinking the update might be a fix. Might reset the modem back to factory, remove the Google home app from my phone and hope for the best This sucks

That sounds like it may be a different issue, the problem in this thread specifically affects 2.Ghz wireless and it causes 2.4Ghz wireless to stop working entirely rather than just poor performance.  While the 2.4Ghz wireless network is down, anything connected via ethernet and 5Ghz wireless should continue to work fine.  

Since my D7000 has had the issue, I've not had any internet speed issues or stability problems and I've now disabled the 2.4Ghz on my router which has been temporarily replaced by another 2.4Ghz access point.  

I'd check your speeds over a wired ethernet connection, if you're still having internet speed issues then it's unlikely to be the router.

Message 357 of 595
Al94
Apprentice

Now that I think of it, since I purchased the D7000 last August I periodically had speed issues which could only be sorted by a reboot, This was prior to the 2.4 fails since December. My impression was that this happened after a lot of streaming.

Since changing brands I have superb wireless performance which hasn't faltered once despite my attempts to test it to the limit.

Something not right about either the firmware or chipset or both in the D7000.

Message 358 of 595
browntea
Star

Been using the v58 beta for 5 full days. No wifi dropouts. All seems ok, even with my Chromecast device enabled.
Before I updated to v58, even with the Chromecast powered OFF, I still had had daily wifi failures on the router, that only a reboot would fix. The logs that I configured to email hourly didn't give me any useful info. Also interestingly all three of the Chromecast, my Android phone with Google Home and my Laptop all are on 5Ghz, so if the theory about 2.4Ghz network overload being the issue when a Chromecast is turned back on, it might not apply to everyone. Will stick with the stable (for me) v58 until a different full production release. 
Will report back if I see further issues.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 359 of 595
gobes
Aspirant

Been running 58 for a few days without any issues so far. Also have chrome cast and Google Home on the network. Both 2.4 and 5ghz seem to be stable for a few days.
Message 360 of 595
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Let me cover something off for all those who've come along and decided to muddy the waters by attempting to introduce other bugs from other products into the mix.

The D7000 2.4GHz Wifi problem isn't related to:

Chromecasts

Windows Updates

Overloading

Buffer Overflows

Overheating... or any number of other things which people might come up with.

It's a 2.4GHz problem, which affects the 2.4GHz Wifi network of a D7000 (and maybe the R7000).

If you factory reset it, connect it to your switch network with one cable, assign it a unique ssid, connect a single device to that ssid (which has previously had the discconect issues), and leave it doing virtually nothing at all. It will fail. I know because that's exactly what I did, as I reported earlier in this thread.

As much as I'm fascinated by Chromecast problems, I really, really don't need or want to read lots of emails about how they are the cause, cause I've proven the 2.4GHz fails without any Chromecasts devices connected to it.

As much as I'd like to believe it's a simple buffer overflow issue, I'm absolutely confident that my little old phone, doing occasional checks for new emails, isn't overloading the processing capabilities of the D7000.

Just as sure as I am that the D7000 that has no Windows clients isn't having it's 2.4GHz taken down by those clients.

And that leaves overheating, and you can trust me it ain't that either.

I'm reading with interest all the reports of 58 fixing this, although at the moment, my D7000 is disconnected completely, not even plugged in to the power, as a router which cannot maintain a single 2.4GHz connection from one phone doing nothing more than occassional emails checks, is of no use to me.

Message 361 of 595
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It can be very easy for different users to assume they have the same difficulty when they turn out to be quite different. So in a thread like this some things may be relevant to some users, but not others.

We'd welcome your feedback on the 58 firmware if you'd like to try it.

Message 362 of 595
Anarkii51
Tutor

After reading through the thread last night yes all 380 posts. This morning I have disconnected my google mini and deleted the home app.
So far our speeds have been good and no resets etc. This may be a different problem to what is the issue with the modem but currently have one tv on 2.4 and one on 5 both are able to stream Netflix and have my pixel 2 connected on 5 and the PC is through Ethernet. All going well no drop outs no resets so far.
Message 363 of 595
OriginalJB
Tutor

Whilst a few people are having non-Chromecast, non-GoogleHome app issues with their modems, across the board it seems many people are having these exact issues and once addressed, their modem is fixed.  Informing the huge number of Google-affected people of these simple steps will clear the fora for the ones with Netgear-only problems.

Following the Google apps and Chromecast advice has resulted in my Netgear returning to full and continuous service on every device on both frequencies.

For those who want to eliminate Google as their issue, this is the latest official response from Google.  If you've eliminated Google as the problem, this thread belongs to you.  Good luck to you folks left here  Smiley Happy

Message 364 of 595
swhitmore
Aspirant

@manicgeek wrote:

Let me cover something off for all those who've come along and decided to muddy the waters by attempting to introduce other bugs from other products into the mix.

The D7000 2.4GHz Wifi problem isn't related to:

Chromecasts

Windows Updates

Overloading

Buffer Overflows

Overheating... or any number of other things which people might come up with.

It's a 2.4GHz problem, which affects the 2.4GHz Wifi network of a D7000 (and maybe the R7000).

Well your issue may not be related the the Chromecast/Google Home, but it's very obvious from the discussion here that there is a related issue, and these devices are causing problems. Please note, the Chromecast issue has been to reported to also come from phones running the Google Home app and other 'Cast' features. Have you tested this?

Are you seriously going to disregard everyone elses testing and results just becuase it doesn't fit your particular situation? 

Message 365 of 595
Retired_Member
Not applicable

This is what we used to call thread-jacking.

And to be honest I'm done being flooded with emails about stuff which isn't the problem.

I really can't see why it's such a problem to start a thread to discuss the Google Chromecast problems, if that's what you want, but thread jacking this one means people like me stop caring. We take the router throw it in the bin and give up. Which is what I'm going to do right now. Thanks for nowt.

Message 366 of 595
OriginalJB
Tutor

Big call.

Go to post No. 1 on page 1.  The member had a problem with 2.4 only.  His last post was exactly 1 month ago.

I don't see what's been threadjacked.  I've seen a lot of people working togethter to try to eliminate issues to get the heart of an issue.  If someone has an issue with their entire modem, this thread is not the place - this thread started as 2.4 only.  My problem has been solved thanks to the members who took the time to report their research and experience.

Thanks for fixing my modem, Community members  Smiley Happy

Message 367 of 595
Anarkii51
Tutor

Sorry if this doesn't relate to the thread issue but it was because of this forum that it seems I may have fixed the problem. I've has 12 hours of no drop outs or slow downs or lost connections on either band.
My fix was getting rid of HOME app and google home. A hard road to travel when I don't know anything about modems. So thank you forum community xx
Message 368 of 595
OriginalJB
Tutor

It definitely does relate.  And I'm pretty sure the term "Netgear Community" would indicate that others are here to help and be helped.

My story is exactly the same as yours.  I'm now very happy with Netgear and bewildered by Google's massive stuff-up.

Message 369 of 595
gusyavoo
Aspirant

I have the same problem

Firmware: v54

I dont have chromecast, but i have nvidiashield in 5Ghz, but 5Ghz is fine.

The problem started about 3 months ago.

Waiting solutions...

Message 370 of 595
GlennD
Tutor

I wish each contributor to this blog would start with what version of firmware they are currently and how long have they been on it   It's hard to sort out where everybody is at if we don't know what version they are running. I would like to know how many folks are using the ver. 58 beta firmware for any length of time without any issues. 

I am on ver. 1.0.1.48, no 2.4 GHZ or USB printing but my 5GHZ is rock solid, I am reluctant to update  to V 58 since there are so many mixed results with it.

Message 371 of 595
nscolli
Apprentice

@GlennD wrote:

I wish each contributor to this blog would start with what version of firmware they are currently and how long have they been on it   It's hard to sort out where everybody is at if we don't know what version they are running. I would like to know how many folks are using the ver. 58 beta firmware for any length of time without any issues. 

I am on ver. 1.0.1.48, no 2.4 GHZ or USB printing but my 5GHZ is rock solid, I am reluctant to update  to V 58 since there are so many mixed results with it.

A short recap and status report.

Like many my D7000 running version 48 started dropping 2.4G around early December 2017. I updated to V50 followed by V54 to no avail. Prior to that the D7000 had performed faultlessly for 18 Months.

On 8 Jan 2018 I was invited to download and install beta trial FW V58.

This did not solve the issue. I was invited by the engineering team to download TeamViewer allowing them to run my PC remotely which they did on 6 occassions as various failures occurred (the last time being 12 Jan).

During the December/January period the blog sphere lit up with various finger pointings at modem/router vendors, chip vendors and then eventually Google.

After many WiFi ups and downs I eventuall removed a Google Home Mini (at the request of the Netgear engineers) and ceased to make Google Chromecast an input to the TV and also stopped casting to the TV from my Google android phone.

Since then my D7000 has been faultless for 4 days 5 hours plus.

I understand that Netgear engineers may be preparing another FW addressing the MDNS issues created by the Google products.

I will not use any of the above Google products on my WiFi network until Google solve and fix the problem and/or Netgear produce a newer beta/trial FW which I hope I will be invited to test.

Message 372 of 595
SAWS
Tutor

I know there has been some debate about whether the Google product issues should be discussed in this thread, but I am glad they have been. I've been having problems with my D7000's 2.4Ghz band since late November/early December. I'm on FW v. 1.0.1.44.

For the past couple of weeks, I've been waiting for v58 to come out of beta, thinking it would solve the problem. This morning, I caught up on this thread and saw the information about Google products. I had added a new Chromcast Ultra to my network on Thanksgiving Day, and my Android phone was running the Google Home app as a result.

This morning I unplugged the Chromecast and uninstalled the Google Home app. Since then, I have been able to authenticate on the 2.4Ghz network for the first time in more than a month with both my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge) and my MacBook Pro.

I'll report back if this changes.

Message 373 of 595
Avers
Aspirant

Hi. Been following this thread a bit as I also have issues with the 2.4ghz and thought I would wait it out for the FW update, but unable to do so as I've come across a weird one.

Just a bit of background I don't own a chrome or home device all I have are legacy devices like older iphones and android tablets and an AMP

which brings me to the weird issue.

With the last fw update I did and various bits of troubleshooting (factory resets etc) I noticed I forgot to reconnect my amp to the network.

So I go to add it and it's just constantly failing to connect. So while I try again I watch the connect devices section on modem...

I can see the amp listed but no IP I then noticed all the other 2.4 connected devices showing the same. I continue to montior and when the amp fails again shortly after the 2.4 device reconnect. Try again all drop off why amp attempts to connect and it fails again then other devices reconnect shortly after. Not sure why or how it's doing it. The amp has connected fine in the past. So hopefully I can get onto the test program. I've emailed and i'm awaiting a response. 

Apologies for the long winded post.

A.

PS: Current FW .54 running it for a month or so

Message 374 of 595
Avers
Aspirant

@Case850. What I refer to as an AMP is also know as an AV reciever.  It connects to the wifi to recieve it's FW updates and also spotify, pandora etc. It's made by Denon - https://www.au.denon.com/au/product/hometheater/avreceivers/avrx1200w

Message 375 of 595
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7