Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk D7000 Bufferbloat

cyberprashant
Luminary

Yeah it seems d7000 is not supported for dd wrt. U might consider adding a second router behind the cable modem. I use my ISPs cable modem and I have my own router behind it. I can then configure my own router whichever way I want. Consider buying one which supports dd wrt or QoS at minimum to reduce bufferbloat.
Message 51 of 65
ruzicka
Apprentice

After spending money on my D7000, I'm not about to go out and buy even more hardware.  Aside from the possible lag/bufferbloat, the D7000 seems to be fine for me, and it does have QoS.

Message 52 of 65
mcrs969
Luminary

ruzicka, what I did not get is, did you manage to obtain the mentioned fw? Have you had the chance to search it in this forum? I believe somebody could have distributed it, I could not due to netgear agreement where they asked specifically to not share it but eventually redirect to support.
TRY looking around this forum and it should be available maybe from some mod
Message 53 of 65
ruzicka
Apprentice

Nope.  Was not able to get the beta firmware again, at least so far.  I suppose I could, assuming I'm willing to PAY for it.  I haven't been able to find it anywhere else here (but I may just be too much of a novice to find it!).

I would assume that anyone else who has it is under the same NDA that you are.

Message 54 of 65
richud
Apprentice

Hi,
What do you chaps have set under QoS? I dont have same model as you but interested.
'Turn Bandwidth Control On' is the thing that effects it on mine, adding the following in traffic control (tc) settings

qdisc htb 1: dev ppp0 r2q 96 default 30 direct_packets_stat 0
qdisc sfq 10: dev ppp0 parent 1:10 limit 100p quantum 1492b perturb 10sec 
qdisc sfq 20: dev ppp0 parent 1:20 limit 100p quantum 1492b perturb 10sec 
qdisc sfq 30: dev ppp0 parent 1:30 limit 100p quantum 1492b perturb 10sec 
qdisc sfq 40: dev ppp0 parent 1:40 limit 100p quantum 1492b perturb 10sec 

This makes bufferbloat rating on dslreports go from F to B.

Message 55 of 65
Wmadeley
Aspirant

was getting a b on bloat until today 12/30/2016  updated the router 1900ac D7000 today and now the bloat is back to F

come on Netgear I paid a lot for this router and now playing games is impossible. keep getting disconnected from game servers

from the bufferbloat. This is in both my online games Neverwinter and Diablo3 reaper of souls.

PLEASE don't make me go out and buy from a different company.

This is my second Netgear an upgrade from the old one and BOTH have extream BufferBloat problems.

Hope you hire some Decient Programmers for a change.

Message 56 of 65
Wmadeley
Aspirant

what version software I need to check it against my latest version as I went from a B to an F after installing the new version/

thanks for a response

Message 57 of 65
CamT
Aspirant

We need this resolved. Cant play any online games for more than 10mins. This nughthawk 1900 D7000 has been fine aince I bought it on 3/08/16. Today I will trade it out at best buy since I got the product replacement
Message 58 of 65
ruzicka
Apprentice

You can trade it in at Best Buy?  What product replacement are you referring to?

Message 59 of 65
CamT
Aspirant

2 year product replacement. If it breaks i can take it back and switch it out. 30bucks well spent. Hopefully this one works.
Message 60 of 65
ruzicka
Apprentice

So are you claiming that your D7000 is "broken" due to the bad bufferbloat?  Or is it actually broken in some other way?

Are you replacing it with another D7000?

Message 61 of 65
Wmadeley
Aspirant

I dont believe it is broken.

i've googled this issue and it seem a LOT of people are having this issue.

I have connected the modem directly to the pc and no buffer bloat.

through the router 200ms + as high as 400ms.

this just started after the last firmware update a few days ago.

And since netgear can't seem to get a grip on it. I am looking into other brands of AC routers.

hoping they will come out with a fix, but from the google sites this has been going on a while now.

Message 62 of 65
CamT
Aspirant

I replaced it with another and it last a day without disconnects. Now its back to 10 -20 min disconnects. Guess im going to have to look into another RM combo sadly. Thats unless someone has figured out which Firmware # is working without issues.
Message 63 of 65
ruzicka
Apprentice

I guess I've been lucky then.  I have never noticed any disconnects or anything like that., with any of the firmware I've used.  The one and only "problem" I've had has been the bufferbloat rating I get from dslreports.com, which some people have commented on that that rating may not be totally accurate.   Never had a disconnect (that I can remember) with any of my online games.  And I don't notice and lag either, although that may be due to having a decent DSL speed (40 Mbps down, 5 Mbps up).

Message 64 of 65
Wmadeley
Aspirant

I'm beginning to suspect it's not the router thats the problem.

These Neverwinter online server drops started about 2 weeks ago.

Diablo 3 has also started server drops.

Cox cable (my ISP) had a problem in this area a few weeks ago caused by heavy rain.

I'm starting to think it's there fault. But there is no other choice for internet in the area that offers 50gbit

the best the others can do is 7. but maybe 7 wouldn't give server drops.

thanks all for the feedback.

Message 65 of 65
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7