Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Possibly the worst router I have ever bought

mehwoot
Follower

Possibly the worst router I have ever bought

So I bought a new router because I wanted to be able to set parental controls and filter out specific websites by device.

First off the router wouldn't connect to the internet.  I tried doing the wizard thing where it detects your settings but it got through the entire thing and then said there was an error.  So I look up the settings manually and put them in, but it says the password/username are incorrect, even though I have my two other working routers with exactly the same details and they work fine.  Every second time on the ADSL settings screen when I click apply it just wipes the details I put in and does nothing.  After about 2 hours of trying to get it to work I did a factory reset and enter the same details and now it magically works.

So now I try to get the parent controls to work.  First off, no you can't just do it through the device like before, now you have to download some other app.  So I do that, and it says checking router firmware version... can't connect to internet through router.  Even though the internet is working fine.  So I google that problem, turns out I should try updating the firmware on the device.  So I do that.  Still doesn't work.  I go back to the device and there's another firmware update- why didn't it just update to the most recent version when I updated it the first time?  So I go through that whole process again.  

Now the Genie app still doesn't work on my windows machine, it doesn't work on my android phone but I finally get it to work on my mac.  I setup the parental controls but every 5 minutes something with the router screws up and the parental controls go back to saying "you might not be connecting to the internet through a supported netgear router".  I literally have to restart the router every 5 minutes and try fiddling around with the parental controls screen for a little bit before the router somehow fails, I can't access the admin through 192.168.1.1 and the parental controls don't work.  Also, in the few minutes I have on each attempt to try to get the bloody thing to work it's entirely unclear whether I can actually do what I want to- I want to block specific sites for specific devices.  The access level things in opendns only block categories of sites, and the "block this site" seems to apply to the entire thing, regardless of what mode I put devices in.  I finally setup a bypass account and logged in but it can't access the blocked sites either.  So I've waste like 5 hours setting this up and it's not even clear if this router can simply block a specific website for a device?

Oh on top of all that the support forum is split into 5 different forums making it impossible to find the one that contains your specific model number (D3600), is it a general wireless router, a wireless N router, a nighthawk router or an R6000 series router?  Who knows

Message 1 of 2

Re: Possibly the worst router I have ever bought

@mehwoot wrote:

Oh on top of all that the support forum is split into 5 different forums making it impossible to find the one that contains your specific model number (D3600), is it a general wireless router, a wireless N router, a nighthawk router or an R6000 series router?  Who knows

The manual for this device, and other support stuff, is here:

D3600 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

This forum has a search feature that lets you search the whole shebang:

Search results

Not perfect, but one way around the messy forum structure.

Is there anything you want to ask folks to help with here? Or were you just reporting back? I got a bit lost reading your message. But other people might be more capable.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7