Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problems using DM200 in modem only mode

jsam
Tutor

Problems using DM200 in modem only mode

Has anyone else had issues using the DM200 in modem only mode to bridge an ADSL connection?  Im trying to use my DM200 in "modem only" device mode to bridge the PPPoA connection from my provider to a router. This has been working very well previously with a different modem. I can put the DM200 into modem only mode, but no connection is established with the router and theres no way to set the DM200s internet settings or tell what its current state is (they are all grayed out). For instance, I need the modem to be using ADSL (PPPoA) but theres no way for me to set this or to tell what its currently setup to do (perhaps it's in a VDSL mode?). When in modem only mode, what settings is it using for the modem and how could I set them if I need them changed?

To confirm this was a problem with the DM200s modem only mode, I plugged in my old modem and it worked properly bridging the PPPoA connection. If the DM200 is in router+modem mode, thus letting me specify the internet connection settings, I can get it to connect to my ISP so I think there's something wrong with how it gets configured in modem only mode and there's no way to change it in the firmware

Thank you

Message 1 of 78
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Problems using DM200 in modem only mode

Hello jsam

Have you tried to disconnect the DSL connection and then log into the modem and try to change the settings? or have you tried to use a different web browser? Last thing you can try is to factory reset the modem.

DarrrenM

Message 2 of 78
Mart2813
Initiate

exactly the same problem mate.

I am trying to make the DM200 talk to an X8 Nighthawk .It should be straight forward but it aint.   I've still not got any sort of response from Netgear on how to join a Netgear product (DM200 in bridge mode/modem only mode) to another Netgear product (X8 Nighthawk Router) and as the the Genie app cant sense/detect the settings  or copy them over that seems to be well marketted but poorly supported too!

Message 3 of 78
jsam
Tutor

Ah, that's too bad.  The response I got from Netgear about this was that it should work better with another Netgear product and that's why I was having this problem (I'm just using a linux box with pfsense as the router).  I've included their reponse below, I ended up returning the product for a full refund and getting a Draytek Vigor 130 and no problems with that at all.

"Based on the information provided, I understand that you want to configure your PPPoA settings while the unit is set to modem only.

Jonathan, if the DM200 is set to modem only, the settings should be on your router. So setting up your PPPoA should be done on the router that is connected to the DM200.

I am not sure if this is also applicable for other brands, but for Netgear, it really works this way. I wish I was able to inform you about that before you bought it, Jonathan.

Anyway, it should still work regardless if it is set to modem or modem + router. Please let me know if you are unable to go online using the unit."

Message 4 of 78
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Are you using it in ADSL mode? I understand from a netgear tech that there are some folk - not all - having problems with the DM200 in modem only for ADSL connections. It appears from the tech that VDSL (NBN!) works fine.

I am having problems with it as modem only too. Connecting with my R7000 proves a challenge and when I do connect, Tivo plays up trying to get the guide.

Switch back to my TPLink and all is good!

Damn!

Message 5 of 78
AndrewM83
Aspirant

I am having the same problem with trying to bridge the DM200 with my R6250 router. I bought the DM200 to replace the BT Openreach Modem but I have not been able to get Intenet access.

I have entered ISP settings manually whilst in Router/Modem mode then switched to Modem only mode. All other lights on the DM200 and my R6250 come green except for the internet.

I keep looking to see if there is something else in the router settings I need to change or add but I just don't see anything.  As far as I can tell it should just work but it isn't.

Message 6 of 78
jsam
Tutor

Yes I was trying to use it as an ADSL modem.  By the time I switched to VDSL I'd returned this for a DrayTek which has been working very well so I wouldn't be able to speak to the DM200's usefulness as a VDSL only modem.

Message 7 of 78
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for the insight. The DrayTek is a VERY expensive modem though.

Message 8 of 78
AndrewM83
Aspirant

Shortly after I submitted my post I managed to get it working!

Apparently I needed to enter the DNS and WAN IP along with the VLAN ID and MTU (in router/modem mode before switching to modem only mode).

After I manually entered this information, upon first try Internet turned green.

I  should have done this to begin with when I entered my ISP login details but not having any experience in setting up a modem with a router before I didn't realise!

Also with the BT openreach modem that came with my Fibre installation, I never had to do anything as it's all pre programmed and you can't access it.

So far so good anyway. Seems to be holding stable.

http://speedtest.xilo.net/result/1150408/

Just to reiterate this is the R6250 Router combined with the DM200 Modem. FYI.

Message 9 of 78
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hey AndrewM83,

not sure I understand....in modem only mode, DNS and WANIP are handled by gateway/ router and usually set by the ISP - at least for dynamic IP address - and not by the DM200 in modem only mode.

Can you clarify what exactly you did with the DM200? I can get it to work as a modem+router, but not as a modem only - Tivo doesn't get the guide in this mode. I think it may have something to do with the DM200 interferring with ports - which as a modem only, it shouldn't have anything to do with - that should all be in the gateway/ router attached.

Netgear support has been very unhelpful - "reload firmware, reset modem, reload firmware, reset router...hmmm - it should work!" There is clearly either a hardware or firmware problem in the DM200 when set to ADSL/ modem only mode. I have no confidence it will work on VDSL (NBN) as modem only either.

******If someone has got an NBN connection (VDSL2) with the DM200 as modem connected to a gateway/ router only please let me know - and who the RSP you used is. Really want to sort this before going to NBN. ******

Message 10 of 78
AndrewM83
Aspirant

Hey bm282,

All I can tell you is what I have already stated in my last post.

Maybe it just needed another power cycle and something has just fallen into place where it didn't the first couple of times.

But what you say about how the DNS and Gateway should be managed by the router, well yes that is what I thought.

However, I entered these anyway just for the hell of it (as I didn't know what else to try), switched back to Modem mode, plugged back in, connected to router and it achieved sync.

Crazy technology eh? I wish I had a solid explanation for you but that is all I did!

Maybe the current firmware is not very reliable and there are issues to be fixed. All I know is, right now it's working.

Andrew.

Message 11 of 78

@AndrewM83 wrote:
Maybe it just needed another power cycle and something has just fallen into place where it didn't the first couple of times.

It is worth remembering that the order in which you start a modem/router combination is important. Maybe that is what fixed it for you.

Netgear's instructions always spell out the order to do things in.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

This is because the various bits in the chain need to take control of what is happening, as you said, handing out IP addresses and the like, before other stuff kicks in.

Message 12 of 78
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I've given up. The DM200 is going to the workshop and receiving several good blows from my hammer till it is in a thousand pieces! At least I will feel better and got something out of wasting money on buying this POS! Maybe Netgear needs a particular sequence, but no sequence is required when the R7000 is connected to a TPLink modem in bridge mode - and when I get power fails here - I don't want to have go around my network and start things up in sequence! This is not the 1960s - and I was there in IT !!!

All I can do is recomend people stay away from the DM200.

Now, the question is - what will I replace it with - Netcomm/ DrayTek/ ASUS/ TPLink....

Message 13 of 78

@bm282 wrote:

...when I get power fails here - I don't want to have go around my network and start things up in sequence!

Netgear specifies that when you install the hardware. Power failures may be different.

Message 14 of 78
Retired_Member
Not applicable

...I'm sure thats the case.....

Not wanting to debate with you - my experience with other suppliers of technology is that the other suppliers equipment must be better designed, because it manages to work regardless of startup or install sequences.

To the case in point - I have 3 modems - D-Link, TPLink and Netgear. Which is the ONLY one which is giving problems and MAY need to be installed and powered up in a specific sequence - to MAYBE work (which it doesn't!) Clue - name starts with "N"!! I have reflashed/ reset/ restarted both the TPLink and Dlink when I've used them without doing anything to the router other than unplug the ethernet cable and plug it in to the next modem. 

In this case, a modem in bridge mode is actually not rocket science to have work!

I'm not having a piece of you - I just hate it when Technology companies can't get a consumer product to work - and Netgear is not alone here - but this one is such a simple device - I'm staggered! 

And I only bought the DM200 as I'm moving to NBN shortly, so I wanted to set up my environment to make the switch over easy....silly boy!!!!

Message 15 of 78
Retired_Member
Not applicable

.... and one more thing .... I'm not in kindergarten needing hobby badges from a forum to say how wonderful it is I've made a post or two...give me a break!!!!!

Message 16 of 78
Andrews10
Aspirant

I had the same problem with a DM200 and AC1750 router. All of the settings were correct and it wouldn't connect to the internet signal. My ISP even sent another modem, also Netgear, and it wouldn't work either. The old modem (Wethrell Wirespeed) would connect, albeit at 10mbs. I was ready to take the DM200 out and massage it with a twelve pound sledgehammer. Finally I re-read the manual, and noticed the section about not having other phones in the same line as the modem. Disconnected a FAX/copier which was also on the line, and the DM200 fired up right up. Apparently the Netgear equipment doesn't play well with others.

Message 17 of 78
mackov83
Star

I am having very similar issues to ones noted above. However, I can browse internet as expected, but installing Samsung Apps on my BluRay player, or accessing Netflix from the BluRay player fails. My setup is the DM200 (modem only) Asus RT-AC88U (router).

With the DM200 or another Fritzbox 7390 acting as modem/router, no issues.

I too entered VLAN 100 before setting bridge mode and played with VLAN passthrough enabled and disabled but to no avail. I noticed that with passthrough enabled, I had to set VLAN 100 on the router also, otherwise it would report it's WAN port in a disconnected state. 

Correct me if my information is wrong, however we a Cisco certified network engineer at work suggests that VLAN should only apply between the ISP and modem and does not require it to be passed through to the router.

I am also considering a Draytek 130 as they have a very good video on Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFFr3b1Psoo

I have spent far too many hours on this now for what should be a very simple setup!!

Message 18 of 78
Perrin47
Aspirant

I had the same issue with it working with my Nighthawk router. It seems like the firewall on the modem was still active or limiting traffic as I couldn't use a lot of phone apps on wifi or some games simply would not connect.  Did various resets, etc and probably spent the better part of 11 nights trying everythhing to get it to work ok with the router. Eventually swapped back to my 9 yr old crappy actiontec modem and now everything works.

Extremely disappointing.

Message 19 of 78
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Let me see...

||   Eventually swapped back to my 9 yr old crappy actiontec modem and now everything works.

Let's go for some clarification on "crappy";

Old Actiontec that works = crappy

New Netgear that doesn't work = ??????

Is it just me?

Message 20 of 78
mackov83
Star

I don't think the firewall is enabled, but I am certain the VLAN part isn't working.

I can send outputs later if Netgear will look into it, but using telnet and ifconfig -a I can show the difference with it in router vs modem modes. With router mode there is a ptm0.100 interface, whereas in modem mode there isn't.

I have ordered the Draytek Vigor 130 and will update once I have it installed
Message 21 of 78
mackov83
Star

Confirmed. This modem does not work in bridge mode as it should. I went and bought a Draytek Vigor 130 and everything is working as it should.

My line synchs at 18mbps down and 3mbps down and the bridge delivers almost exactly that.

Going to make a complaint to Netgear, this is a complete waste of $80, not to mention all the time troubleshooting
Message 22 of 78
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

Been dealing with this issue on another thread for 2 weeks. A DM200 in modem only mode and an R7000 router. The R7000 peformed well with a Zycel with no install issues but recent problems forced me to replace it and I thought another Netgear product would work well. I was wrong!

Look for my other thread by clicking my user name for links to posts. If you resolved it let me know here ot at the other therad. I want to resolve this but am close ot returning what I am beginning to beleive is junk.

Can someone suggest a different brand modem that is reasonable in cost? 

Message 23 of 78

@GearNetRouter wrote:

Can someone suggest a different brand modem that is reasonable in cost? 

Probably against the rules to name the competition, but modems from the company that also makes motherboards and graphics cards, among other things, have many fans.

Message 24 of 78
jsam
Tutor

I picked up a Vigor 130 and it's been awesome and rock solid in modem/bridge mode.

Message 25 of 78
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7