Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 Dropping IPv6

timstack
Apprentice

R7000 Dropping IPv6

Hello, IPv6 drops off this R7000 router atleast once a week. I have latest firmware ( v34) installed. I'm using Comcast and IPv6 router settings I select Auto Detect and then switches to DHCP which is correct I think. A real pain to get back after rebooting router 3 times or more. Does this happen to others? or am I using the wrong IPv6 connection type? Thanks

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: R7000 Dropping IPv6

In the IPV6 settings do you have Auto Config selected?

https://cirw.in/blog/ipv6-config

DarrenM

Message 2 of 6
timstack
Apprentice

Yes this is exactly how I have IPv6 set up now. when I first set up I chose Auto Detect for top right and had problems and I picked "use DCHP server" on the left bottom and Lost connection also. So this time I automatically chose DHCP up top and Auto Config on bottom and now for about 3 days now it has not disconnected. Thanks

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 6
dalef
Tutor

I am confirming a similar problem with the Netgear R7000 router and Comcast using IPv6.

In Advanced Setup > IPv6, when the Internet Connection Type is set to DHCP and IP Address Assignment, under LAN Setup, is set to Auto Config, it takes approximately two weeks to lose both Internet and LAN access. That is, after about two weeks, I cannot even access the Netgear router's configuration panel at http://192.168.1.1. Therefore, as LAN access is also lost, it does not seem to be a problem with Comcast, but with the router. Power-cycling the router restores both Internet and LAN access.

As a test, I have temporarily set the Internet Connection Type to 6to4 Tunnel. I have been testing this configuration for one day shy of two weeks, and so far it is stable.

However, using the 6to4 Tunnel is inefficient and causes the Internet connection to default to IPv4. In addition, in my area, Comcast supports DHCPv6 and Comcast's rented gateways, which I do not personally use, supports DHCPv6. Therefore, DHCPv6 should work with the Netgear R7000 and it does function well for about the weeks, but then fails.

I am not sure if there is a memory leak in the Netgear R7000 that occurs when DHCPv6 is enabled that takes about two weeks to cause to router to malfunction, but this is one possibility.

The Netgear R7000 is using the most recent firmware - V1.0.9.34_10.2.36 - but this problem has been occurring with numerous previous versions as well. I have already attempted to solve this issue by resetting the Netgear R7000 and then manually reconfiguring it to no avail.

Message 4 of 6
EruvWeather
Apprentice

I am having a similar issue with my R7000 - although the IPv6 dropouts and lack of access to the admin page seem to occour more frequently than the OP.

I only enabled IPv6 about a month ago to work through (what I believe was an-unrelated-to-the-router) issue. The reason I had IPv6 disabled is that I use OpenDNS filtering, which does not currently work over IPv6.

While I had IPv6 enabled (auto-config for both WAN and LAN - WAN was detected as DHCP), I was getting 10/10 on http://test-ipv6.com/ ... so IPv6 worked and I was getting a native IPv6 address from my ISP (Spectrum/Charter).

However, the number of times a system on the network would temporarily lose IPv6 access and/or the admin page would become unavailalbe and/or the Readyshare drive became unavailable has steadily increased since turning IPv6 on. If fact over the past 24 hours, the entire network has come crashing down twice (No internet access on ethernet connected or Wifi connected devices) - seemlingly after Readyshare was accessed via WiFi.

Is this a memory leak issue? I am on the almost-latest 'security issue' 1.0.9.34 firmware (I installed, and then downgraded from .58 due to testing the aforementioned potential issues from about a month ago). Are the out-of-memory issues referenced in the .60 firmware related to this? I have held off on updating to .60 based on the numerous reports of issues with .60 in this forum.

At the moment, I have disabled IPv6 (again) to test if IPv6 is indeed to root of all evil here, and using the OpenDNS DNS servers (while on IPv6, I was using Google DNS).

As an aside, when I downgraded from .58 to .34 about a month ago, I also reset the router to factory defaults and re-entered the settings for my network at that time.

Any and all wisdom from the crowd will be appreciated! I will let folks know later this week if turning off IPv6 has in fact 'resolved' the aforementioned network related/router access issues.

Message 5 of 6
Joechang
Apprentice

Same issue with my Orbi product. IPV6 connection drop off every few days.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7