Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting up AC750 D6000 Router as Access Point

Ayyappan
Aspirant

Setting up AC750 D6000 Router as Access Point

Hi all,

There have been posts in the past as to how to setup D6000 as Access Point. I may be late in providing a solution which I have been using since 2017 without any issue. Sorry I did not see the posts earlier. Someone may already have provided a better alternate solution to mine.

My main router is Netgear D7000 but irrespective of the main router to which D6000 needs to be configured as AP the procedure should be same except perhaps for the main router address. In the case of D7000 the address is 192.168.0.1 with DHCP On. I selected 192.168.0.2 as the address for the AP but any address within the DHCP will do as well. D6000 works as AP even under "auto-get" address from main router.

D6000 in this case has its own WiFi/Ethernet subnet. Disbabling DHCP on D6000 does not help. I tried prior to posting this. See the attached document for the setup. And see

https://kb.netgear.com/23784/I-m-setting-up-my-NETGEAR-router-for-the-first-time-how-do-I-set-it-to-...

also. The wiring is as per the above kb and all settings done manually instead of using genie assistance. All other settings are default.

It is better to select specific WiFi bands on main router as well as D6000. On D7000 the bands are different than those I am using on D6000.

Hope that helps.

Model: D6000|AC750 WiFi Modem Router - 802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 5
antinode
Guru

Re: Setting up AC750 D6000 Router as Access Point

> [...] solution [...]

"solution"?  What was the problem?  Does following the instructions
in the D6000 User Manual (or that KB article) not work?

> [...] I selected 192.168.0.2 as the address for the AP but any address
> within the DHCP will do as well. [...]

"selected"?  And did what with it?  Does a reserved dynamic address
need to be "within the DHCP [address pool?]"?  I don't think so.

> [...] D6000 works as AP even under "auto-get" address from main
> router.

Under what conditions does it _not_ work?

> D6000 in this case has its own WiFi/Ethernet subnet.

In _which_ case?  A wireless access point should _never_ have its own
IP subnet.

> [...] Disbabling DHCP on D6000 does not help. [...]

"help" what?  Selecting "AP mode" should disable the (local) DHCP
server, without any additional user action.

> It is better to select specific WiFi bands on main router as well as
> D6000. On D7000 the bands are different than those I am using on D6000.

"bands"?  Do you mean "channels"?  "2.4GHz" or "5GHz" is a band.

> Hope that helps.

"helps" what?  I still have no idea what problem you were trying to
solve, or how any of this confused/confusing material might "help".

Message 2 of 5
Ayyappan
Aspirant

@antinode wrote:

> [...] solution [...]

"solution"?  What was the problem?  Does following the instructions
in the D6000 User Manual (or that KB article) not work?

It is a solution for those who have tried to setup D6000 as AP. I have seen closed posts where people have struggled to setup D6000 as AP.

> [...] I selected 192.168.0.2 as the address for the AP but any address
> within the DHCP will do as well. [...]

"selected"?  And did what with it?  Does a reserved dynamic address
need to be "within the DHCP [address pool?]"?  I don't think so.

My statement is very clear in defining 192.168.0.2 as address for the AP that I have used.

> [...] D6000 works as AP even under "auto-get" address from main
> router.

Under what conditions does it _not_ work?

When I force an address outside the subnet of main router.

> D6000 in this case has its own WiFi/Ethernet subnet.

In _which_ case?  A wireless access point should _never_ have its own
IP subnet.

I have posted about my setup that works... may be my English is "bad"

I have a working subnet under D6000 which is different from 192.168.0.x of the main router. It is 10.0.0.x and if Windows or Linux could be believed ipconfig/ifconfig shows the device under different subnets depending on the connection to main router(D7000) or AP(D6000). See LAN Setup page on attached pdf. "Should_never_have?" -  Yes probably. I was puzzled when I saw the setup and still remains puzzled - how on earth it works with AP having its own subnet.

> [...] Disbabling DHCP on D6000 does not help. [...]

"help" what?  Selecting "AP mode" should disable the (local) DHCP
server, without any additional user action.

No it does not in my case. Obviously you have not seen the attached pdf which contains screen shot of the existing working setup.

> It is better to select specific WiFi bands on main router as well as
> D6000. On D7000 the bands are different than those I am using on D6000.

"bands"?  Do you mean "channels"?  "2.4GHz" or "5GHz" is a band.

Yes you are right - My bad really. Yes channels.

> Hope that helps.

"helps" what?  I still have no idea what problem you were trying to
solve, or how any of this confused/confusing material might "help".

Go back to your first question with the reply above.

Message 3 of 5
Ayyappan
Aspirant

@antinode Sorry, forgot to thank you for correcting me on band/channel mixup in my previous post.

You can see the attached pdf for the D6000 as AP having its own subnet. I am not an expert in networking but disabling DHCP on D6000 with my setup does not pass IP addresses of main router to the devices. No idea if it is because ADSL is configured as Ethernet WAN or perhaps it is the case of bumble bee and aviation law.

Message 4 of 5
Ayyappan
Aspirant

On revisitng the whole setup of using D6000 "as an AP" after more than 2 years of use I learned that it is not possible to get D6000 to work purely as an AP but a D6000 can be made to "imitate" the services of an AP plus some. It serves the purpose of having an extended internet service at two levels of the building where it is in use and it is exactly that - A LAN Extension Service and not an AP in true form as understood so far. No wonder D6000 manual does not even mention about AP and there is no such setting available in D6000.

I have attached a new setup file after having corrected a certain error pointed out by @antinode on wireless channels and I should thank @antinode, for his/her/its customery caustic notes on verbosity than technicality, for the revisit. In browsing thru the file one may realise how D6000 satisfies a requirement of "being an AP" in addition to having its own control as a router like filtering, its own ip pool, etc. To quote @antinode "helps what?" - Well, beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. Believe it or not it works for me very,very well covering ground, first and second levels of the building where the pair of D7000 - at ground and D6000 - at first levels are setup.

One final note to add: D6000 works flawlessly as a transmitter for HDMI over wireless with a wireless bridge(different make) at receiver end.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7