Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using Netgear Router in Modem Mode

Jamesbarker15
Aspirant

Using Netgear Router in Modem Mode

Hi all,

I currently have a Netgear D7000v2.

I am fed up with it so bought a Ubiquiti UDR. I’ve spent all day trying to get the Netgear to work in modem mode. I use Plusnet as an ISP.

When I have the router on and set up it connects to the internet fine having input my credentials. Once I turn it into modem mode the internet light remains amber. I log into the ‘modem’ and it shows some of the internet settings but not the part showing credentials etc. as I click onto internet settings the webpage flashes up showing credentials but quickly disappears.

Plusnet say it’s not connecting as I’ve got an incorrect password however that’s not the case as I don’t change it from the ‘working router’ to the modem mode.

Thanks in advance.

James
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

Re: Using Netgear Router in Modem Mode

@w3wilkes wrote:

You will then need to specify in the router that it is a PPPoE connection and also put in your login credentials in the router. These will be passed transparently through the D7000v2.

That's probably a better way of explaining what I wrote:

"Now you can get into the router's controls and feed in your login details for Plusnet."

But is amounts to the same thing.

Here is what Netgear says:

How to set D6220/D7000 to pure bridge or DSL modem? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Once that is done, add the router as you would to any modem. And remember to restart things in the right order:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Then configure the router to work with the ISP's network.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies

@Jamesbarker15 wrote:

When I have the router on and set up it connects to the internet fine having input my credentials. Once I turn it into modem mode the internet light remains amber.

Not sure that I follow the sequence here, but that sounds wrong.

Especially this bit:

When I have the router on and set up it connects to the internet fine having input my credentials.

What is the "router" here? D7000v2 or Ubiquiti, whatever that is.

You may be trying to set up the Ubiquiti UDR before you have reconfigured the D7000v2.

If I'm right in understanding what you are doing, that is the wrong way round.

Disconnect the Ubiquiti from the network.

Then set up the D7000v2 in modem only mode, following the bit in the manual:

Use the Modem Router as a DSL Modem Only

Then restart the network in the right sequence:

Now you can get into the router's controls and feed in your login details for Plusnet.

I hope you don't suffer from power cuts. My experience with a Netgear DSL modem/router in modem-only (bridge) mode on BT – same network as PlusNet – is that the modem takes so long to reboot that the router times out before it can get a connection. I then ended up with a dead network.

You might like to carry out some tests to simulate that sequence. Then at least you can be prepared.

I ended up buying DM200 modems. Netgear doesn't sell them any more, but they turn up on the usual "recycle" sites at reasonable prices. They used to sell for silly prices  but the gradual death of DSL means that there is a shrinking market for these modems. That may explain why most modem makers have abandoned DSL.

Message 2 of 5
Jamesbarker15
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I may have not explained myself correctly.

With regards the router.
What I mean is the Netgear D7000 is a router/modem combo, which I’ve been using as out the box for about a year.

I’ve decided to upgrade the network with. UniFi Dream Router, however no built in modem. Just the WAN port for the internet.

As such i am attempting to use the D7000 as a modem only.

So as it’s being used as a router/modem it connects to the ISP absolutely fine. Whilst connected and navigate to the settings on the D7000 and change it to modem mode. As expected it boots me out and does it’s reboot and comes back on. However once on the internet light is solid amber and no matter the amount of time left it doesn’t establish a connection with Plusnet. They’re claiming it’s an incorrect password. I Ethernet into the modem and go to internet settings, it’s not connected. I only get half the options down to VLAN ID, the options to enter credentials are not there, there lies the issue ?

Thanks

James
Message 3 of 5
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Once the D7000v2 is in modem only mode it becomes "transparent". In your router that you connect to the D7000v2 in modem only mode from the routers WAN port to a LAN port on the d7000v2. You will then need to specify in the router that it is a PPPoE connection and also put in your login credentials in the router. These will be passed transparently through the D7000v2.

Message 4 of 5

@w3wilkes wrote:

You will then need to specify in the router that it is a PPPoE connection and also put in your login credentials in the router. These will be passed transparently through the D7000v2.

That's probably a better way of explaining what I wrote:

"Now you can get into the router's controls and feed in your login details for Plusnet."

But is amounts to the same thing.

Here is what Netgear says:

How to set D6220/D7000 to pure bridge or DSL modem? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Once that is done, add the router as you would to any modem. And remember to restart things in the right order:

Then configure the router to work with the ISP's network.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7