Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WIRED router to access points or mesh recommendations

sigshot
Aspirant

WIRED router to access points or mesh recommendations

I had asked a similar question before, but I'm going to try and be a little more specific.  I want to update my home networking.  Here's the BIG BIG rub: my router will be inside a cement block room inside the basement.  So, putting a high end wifi6 router inside that room would be like sticking a tesla motor inside a garbage truck: aint gonna perform worth a squat in the rest of the house.  I want to have the best performance I can for 3 annoying kids who are gaming and streaming youtube tv and/or netflix all damn day, stretched over a three floor home.  i do have Cat6 wired rooms throughout the house.  Currently, 4 TVs, a desktop, two printers, a gaming system or two, and probably more are all wired connections: and I like that.  They are connected to a 16 port netgear switch that connects to my ancient fios router.  

My idea is this, and please help steer me to the proper equipment:

Really good WIRED router that connects to the 16 port switch (that I may update) which will still connect to all that is wired INCLUDING 3 accesspoints (One per floor) to handle the WiFi for about 20 wireless connections floating around the house.  

AGAIN: I could start by intially going from the fios line to a Nighthawk or Orbi, but in that room, I feel like it would be a massive waste of money sice that signal would be attenuated by the concrete walls of that room.  

While on that subject: my Fios Router connects to the outside box via coax cable: Is something else neded here as well?

Thanks all

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: WIRED router to access points or mesh recommendations

You could go with something like an edge router from ubiquiti for the router portion of it. And then use one of netgears mesh systems as access points hardwired in. 

Message 2 of 9
sigshot
Aspirant

Thanks Plemans. Do you think I’d be losing any performance this way, and what’s a solid mesh model to buy?
Message 3 of 9
sigshot
Aspirant

Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

There's cheaper edge routers you can buy. 

For that price you could just buy a standard router and disabled its wireless. 

Or even just get the mesh system and leave it as is since you'll be using the satellites hardwired in. 

In terms of which mesh system to buy, its up to your performance goals, home size, devices usage, and sadly budget. 

Message 5 of 9
sigshot
Aspirant

“Sadly budget” lol, you got that right! I’d’ve just gone for the Orbi 6 (x3), but damn that’s pricy. Roughly 3000 square feet total, three floors. 5 iPhones, 3 iPads, 3 chrome books, 2 Switchs, Fitbit and scale, ring doorbell and 2 cams, 2 MB pros, 1 Surface pro, and a partridge in a pear tree - all WiFi choppers. Most heavy drainers: 4 streaming TVs, Xbox are wired, and I’m trying to find the best combo without bottlenecking right out the gate at the proposed wired router. If I can get it all done solidly for 5-600 (router and access points) I’d be pretty happy.
Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

I've got the RBK53 system and it covers my area great and i probably have a few more than you do. Benefit is you could go something like the RBK43 since you've already got the wired backhaul. Thats the basic difference between the 40 and 50 series. Usually you can get them for $200-250 renewed on amazon. 

It'd hold you over for a while until AX devices come down to reasonable prices if you were planning on going that route. Especially since your heavy bandwidth devices are already hardwired in. 

What router are you currently using? 

Message 7 of 9
sigshot
Aspirant

Actiontech MI424WR. It’s definitely older. Currently we have FiOS TV. And our internet is 75/75. Yes, I know, but at least I’m being honest lol. We were looking to ditch the FiOS tv entirely and just go with Netflix and YouTube TV, while upgrading to either 400 or gigabit (still with Verizon).
Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

I've got gigabit through xifnity and keep going back to my orbi RBK53 system. I have the RBR50, RBS50x3, RBS40V, and RBS50Y. I don't use them all at once but at any given time I'm running 3-4 to cover my house and the outdoors. 

I can usually hit 200+ mbps anywhere in my home. 

I've tried the Arris AX11000 and it cost 2x as much as didn't perform any better than the setup I had. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7