Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Windows 11 is locking up my netgear D7000

rapasker
Tutor

Windows 11 is locking up my netgear D7000

I recent purchased a new computer with windows11 installed.

Since then, any time I run that computer, my netgear D7000 modem/router locks up and will not connect to the internet.  This includes all other devices including other computers, tablets, google devices and cell phones.

I have to cycle power on the modem to get it back.  I don't have this problem with any of my other devices.

I have tried the win11 computer with both wifi and direct connection to the modem, same result.

Any ideas?

Randy

Message 1 of 6
Kitsap
Master

Re: Windows 11 is locking up my netgear D7000

@rapasker wrote:

I recent purchased a new computer with windows11 installed.

Since then, any time I run that computer, my netgear D7000 modem/router locks up and will not connect to the internet.  This includes all other devices including other computers, tablets, google devices and cell phones.

I have to cycle power on the modem to get it back.  I don't have this problem with any of my other devices.

I have tried the win11 computer with both wifi and direct connection to the modem, same result.

Any ideas?

Randy

On the computer, go to the network and internet settings section.  Make sure the network profile is set to private and not to public.  One of the better ideas from Redmond for default settings on new computers.  If it was set to public, change to private then you will most likely need to restart your modem/router first and then your computer.

Message 2 of 6

@rapasker wrote:

That sounds odd. As @Kitsap says, the public/private thing has hit many a victim, although one know-all once said here that this diagnosis is rubbish. But knocking out other devices is not normal.

What you are looking for is this setting:

michaelkenward_0-1675506315326.png

Message 3 of 6
rapasker
Tutor

Unfortunately, it didn't work.

I should probably give a little more detail.

We purchased the computer around Thanksgiving.  It worked fine up until around a couple of weeks ago.

That's when the problem occurred.

I had installed an updated version of anti-virus, from Mcafee anti-virus, to Mcafee total protection.

I did try uninstalling Mcafee, but that didn't help.

Also, when the modem locks up, non of my other devices would work with the modem either.

I have Mcafee total protection on my Windows 10 laptop without any issues whatsoever (as long as my Win 11 PC wasn't on before that).

Message 4 of 6
Kitsap
Master

@rapasker wrote:

Unfortunately, it didn't work.

I should probably give a little more detail.

We purchased the computer around Thanksgiving.  It worked fine up until around a couple of weeks ago.

That's when the problem occurred.

I had installed an updated version of anti-virus, from Mcafee anti-virus, to Mcafee total protection.

I did try uninstalling Mcafee, but that didn't help.

Also, when the modem locks up, non of my other devices would work with the modem either.

I have Mcafee total protection on my Windows 10 laptop without any issues whatsoever (as long as my Win 11 PC wasn't on before that).

There is a more than good chance the McAfee uninstall you tried was less than thorough.  You are going to have to deal with McAfee support to untangle the situation their program created.  Be sure and share with McAfee all of the details.

A couple of thoughts.  If Windows 11 system restore was activated before the McAfee install, restore your computer to a date prior to the McAfee install.  There are some stand alone programs from McAfee that do a better job of uninstalling their program than the plain Windows uninstall.  You may have to do a firmware default reset and reconfigure from scratch on your D7000.

Good luck.

Message 5 of 6
liquidshadow
Aspirant

Hi, I was wondering if you had any luck with this issue.

I've got exactly the same problem. My home network is rock solid but as soon as I turn on my desktop PC (which runs on Win 11) the internet connection drops for everyone. It can happen after 5 minutes or 1h but it happens consistently. The issue started few months ago when I've upgraded from Win 10 to Win 11. As a workaround I've been running a live Linux OS off a USB drive on the same computer with no connection problems.

Latest firmware is installed. I've tried multiple factory resets but didn't help. I've also tried a new ethernet card on my desktop with no luck. I'm out of ideas and I don't know how to debug this problem!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7