Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

dgnd3700 slower using cat6 than wifi

shano
Aspirant

dgnd3700 slower using cat6 than wifi

Hi all,

I have set up my dgnd3700 and I am getting a normal internet connection with DODO (no drop-outs). Originally when I joined with dodo for ADSL2+( about a fortnight ago), I configured the modem using an old crappy slow peace of junk that is otherwise known as my laptop. I originally did a speed test (speedtest.net) once there was a connection(wifi) and I received 16.6Mbps. I was pretty happy with that speed, as I am only 500m from the exchange(cable length). Last night I received and setup my new desktop that is connected to the modem using cat6. Once set-up, I did another speed test using the desktop and got 1.5Mbps. How can there be such a big difference in speeds? Particularly from a wifi connection to a wired connection. And the connection that had wifi was on a crappy old piece of junk. My ping is around 27ms. Is there something I can do or check that might help me find the answer, and then fix this problem, as from now on, I will be using the desktop. Any help will be appreciated. By the way, I am not very computer literate, so if you have any answers can you please put in dummy terms, regards.
Message 1 of 7
fordem
Mentor

Re: dgnd3700 slower using cat6 than wifi

Where did you get the CAT6 cable from? Did you make it yourself?
Message 2 of 7
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

If the speedtest with WiFi was performed over a couple of weeks from when the speedtest was done via Ethernet, then there’s every chance of a significant discrepancy, you really need to check both within minutes of each other.
Message 3 of 7
shano
Aspirant

Ok, will test them both, one after the other. Did some more tests last night on the desktop, and seemed to get slightly better speeds. I got as high as 14.5 Mbps but the very next test I got 6Mbps. Is this normal to get such a discrepancy in speed when they were done one after the other? Will do test from desktop and laptop shortly. Thanks for your replies.
Message 4 of 7
shano
Aspirant

I have managed to test the internet speed on both computers. This morning I have managed to get around 16.5Mbps on the desktop and the same comes up for the laptop. The only difference I notice was that the desktop has a ping of 15ms yet the laptop has a ping of 30+ms. Can someone explain to me why this is and what it means. In answer to a reply earlier, I didn't make the cat6, I had a qualified data installation guy come in and install it, and I went and bought the cat6 patch leads from a retail store. So after all this, can I expect such a varied internet speed depending on what time of day it is. To go from 16.5Mbps to as low as 1.2Mbps seems to be quite a considerable drop in my eyes, or is this the norm for most internet connections? Here are the connection speeds I got from the modem -
DownStream Connection Speed 19395 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 1020 kbps
Going off this information what could I expect to get as an average speed, or am I going to keep getting really varried speeds? Is there some way to get a more stable internet speed? Regards and thanks for your input.
Message 5 of 7
theTechman05
Aspirant

If you did it profesionaly I'd think they'ed terminate. My cable company moaned when they saw store bought Panasonic spliters and installed thier own and re crimped my end for my cable connection. You could always test the wire again at both ends to double check.

Just as in the network vs wire as has been said before different chipset react differently. Either way doing a speed test on wire should give you more accurate results. Find a speed test website in your area that groups speeds together to gain more vision into your tests.

Hope this helps more.:D
Message 6 of 7
fordem
Mentor

Did your "professional" data installation guy certify his work and give you the printed certification test reports?

What speed test are you using? Where are you pinging?

I'm assuming that right now you're testing a "comparable" situation with both devices wired.

Ping time results don't provide that much detail - ping is a test designed to establish round trip communications, and without knowing what host you are pinging or the path between you and that host, there's no definitive way to interpret the results.

Yes, you'll see people say, ping should be less than mS. Unless they know what server you're pinging and the path your data takes, they're just contributing to global warming. What's acceptable where I am (in South America) would be a lot longer than if I were in Miami.

Likewise, speed tests don't provide that much detail - you could run a speed test from a server at your ISP and it should hopefully provide details about the connection between you and them, but a speed test from a server at my ISP will be as fast as the slowest link between you and my ISP.
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7