Can't access local hosts by name

sdeerwester
Follower

Can't access local hosts by name

I have a WNDR4500v2 running stock firmware. How do I configure it to respond to DNS requests for local hosts? I'm unable to find IP addresses on the Linux box using "host" as well, either with the hostname or hostname.local. My use case is that I use a Linux box as an rsync backup server. All of the phones and tablets in the house are set up to do backups on a regular basis (using ssh), but it stopped working when I installed this router.

Message 1 of 5
StevePierce
Initiate

Re: Can't access local hosts by name

I have the same problem, but with a different router, the R7500v2.  I'm at a loss on how to make the dns function work.

Message 2 of 5
TheEther
Guru

Netgear routers running stock firmware do not have the ability to respond to DNS requests for local hosts.  Nor do they have the ability to forward DNS lookups to a local DNS server on the LAN.  Smiley Sad

But if your Linux box has avahi installed and enabled, then you can use mDNS to resolve local hostnames using the hostname.local.  avahi-resolve -n hostname.local.  I believe host will not work because it probably only works with unicast DNS.  ping hostname.local should work if avahi is running.

The following example is from OSX, which supports mDNS (Apple calls it Bonjour), but it illustrates that hostname.local works:

$ ping mypc.local
PING mypc.local (192.168.1.154): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.1.154: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=3.071 ms

mDNS needs to be running on any machines that you try to contact via the hostname.local name.  I already mentioned avahi for Linux and Bonjour for OSX.  You can also get Bonjour for Windows.

Message 3 of 5
StevePierce
Initiate

Thanks for your reply and the information, I definitely did not know that.   I wish I would have known that about the netgear routers, I would have not purchased one had I known they don't handle local dns, many other routers do.  Unfortunately there is also no open source firmware for the R7500V2 (like dd-wrt or tomato) that I could use to get it done.   Guess I'll have to just sell this one and see what other good router I can buy that does have the dns functionality built in (or for which open source firmware is available).

Your post makes perfect sense, but the one thing that puzzles me is that the local name resolution seems to work fine for machines that are connected by ethernet (windows 7 boxes), but not for any devices using a wireless connection (my android tablet, ipads etc).  I guess I'll need to look into that a little further.

Message 4 of 5
TheEther
Guru

@StevePierce wrote:
Your post makes perfect sense, but the one thing that puzzles me is that the local name resolution seems to work fine for machines that are connected by ethernet (windows 7 boxes), but not for any devices using a wireless connection (my android tablet, ipads etc).  I guess I'll need to look into that a little further.

Yeah, I've noticed that, too, though strangely I have one iPhone that is reachable while the others are not.  I did a little more digging and came across an interesting post about why multicast and Wi-Fi frequently don't work well together (link).  Unfortunately, from what I've observed, Netgear doesn't have a good track record of supporting multicast but I thought it only applied to IGMP, not to link-local multicast.  I have to reconsider my endorsement of mDNS as an alternative to local, unicast DNS. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E