× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't connect to ReadyShare

Whiskeydash
Tutor

Can't connect to ReadyShare

Hi,

I've spent the last few hours going through pages on this forum and still haven't found a solution to my problem.

I can't access the hard drive connected via usb to my wndr4500 through my wireless network on my pc. It doesn't appear.

On my laptop and tablet devices I have no problems connecting to the router and streaming movies etc off the storage device (2tb).

My pc connects to the router fine and runs internet fine. Accessing the router login page shows the readyshare status as 'ready' and on the readyshare tab I can see the usb drive name, space used etc. Router firmware and network drivers are all updated.

In the advanced settings I have: enabled any usb device to connect, checked the workgroup name, enabled media server with auto scan.

My wireless connection is a home network connection and I cannot find any issues that are stopping me from connecting.

I have a suspicion that this problem is related to my wireless card though i'm not really sure if this is the case or what it might actually be. I have a wnda4100 n900 wireless adaptor.

Wondering what the problem is?

Sorry if this question has already been answered, I couldn't find it. Thanks in advance for any help.

W.
Message 1 of 14
Aurora420
Aspirant

Re: Can't connect to ReadyShare

Test with firewall and anti-virus disabled. If you have to, I mean if just doing that does not help, I would also test with anti-virus program and firewall (If non-windows) removed then reboot and be sure windows firewall is disabled then test again. Just to rule that out as a possible cause.
Message 2 of 14
Aurora420
Aspirant

Also, you could try manually entering the share location into windows explorer URL bar (Or IE7/8). This probably will not help if you have something blocking access though.

Below are some examples of what I mean, check in your router and you will see the exact address for the USB drive. It's in the advanced tab, then storage, then advanced storage section

\\readyshare

Or
\\readyshare\Internal_Disk
\\readyshare\USB
Message 3 of 14
Whiskeydash
Tutor

Hi, thanks for the suggestions but unfortunately I didn't get anywhere with these. Any other ideas?
Message 4 of 14
msnancy
Aspirant

Whiskeydash wrote:
Hi, thanks for the suggestions but unfortunately I didn't get anywhere with these. Any other ideas?

Try to install this utility on your computer:

http://netgear.com/assets/landing/readyshare/ReadyShareConnect.exe
Message 5 of 14
Aurora420
Aspirant

You could also try rebooting the router to see if that helps, if not try a hard reset
Message 6 of 14
Whiskeydash
Tutor

Thanks again for the replies. I installed the map drive software but had no success. I've also tried a hard reset already with no luck.
Message 7 of 14
Aurora420
Aspirant

What happens when you try what I suggested in post #3?
Message 8 of 14
Whiskeydash
Tutor

I get a 404 not found page
Message 9 of 14
Whiskeydash
Tutor

(the path for my readyshare is \\readyshare\USB_Storage)
Message 10 of 14
Whiskeydash
Tutor

Another thing of note is that on my network page where it says media devices beneath my computer name I have 2 media devices showing. The first one is my local computer, however the second one is called Ready DLNA: WNDRA4500 and accessing it brings me to a couple of the files that I have on the storage drive.

Additionally, beneath this is my network infrastructure which shows RalinkAPS and WNDR4500 (Gateway). Clicking on this gateway creates the network map which shows the router, the internet and the wireless printer which is connected through the router.

because of these things I think the problem must be some software setup either in my adaptor settings or elsewhere on my pc (windows 7 u).
Message 11 of 14
Aurora420
Aspirant

Hmm, your last post about the Ready DLNA makes it sound like it's working properly, only some files would be shown via DLNA like certain movie, picture or music formats. So I think you are correct, it's something to do with windows settings, not the adapter or it's settings.

Keep in mind, windows or other firewalls and anti-virus may block some access, so until you get this sorted out I would uninstall those (Disable if using windows firewall, uninstall for all others as disable does not always do intended, especially for antivirus apps)

The only thing I can think of other than what I just mentioned is windows network discovery? See my posts here, the setting I mean is the one above what's circled in this post (Set for public and home)
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?p=422293#post422293
Message 12 of 14
obarthelemy
Tutor

I know this topic is kind of old, but that's what came up when I googled for the same issue.

Actually, entering \\readyshare in an Explorer window let me access the drive. Not *Internet* Explorer, just plain old Windows Explorer. The drive doesn't show up anywhere else (not under Computer, the web interface says Offline...)

It's the only way I can access it, so thank you Aurora420 🙂
Message 13 of 14
Aredub
Tutor

I solved this problem a while ago, but it happened again today (perhaps related to the latest Windows 10 updates?). After several hours of troubleshooting, the solution was to log into the Netgear Genie app, go to the ReadyShare tab, and enable  Network Neighborhood/MacShare. I had to do it without an admin password -- turning that on have me an error that a non-password-protected folder is required.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7