Can't log into router configured as access point

protonpusher
Aspirant

Can't log into router configured as access point

Attempting to configure 3700.v2 as an access point. Everything seems fine except I can't access the 3700.v2 AP to modify its settings. Would like to know how to access it.

The main router is 192.168.42.1, and assigns 192.168.42.64-253 with DHCP. In the 3700 under LAN setup I changed:

IP Address to 192.168.42.63

Unchecked Router as DHCP server

Subnet remains 255.255.255.0

All seems to be working fine, and the main router is assigning ip addresses to everything on the network. Only issue is accessing the 3700 to change things.

What I have tried: disconnected the 3700 AP from router, and connected laptop via ethernet.

Used browser to go to 192.168.42.63. No conncetion

standard http://www.routerlogin.com/index.htm. No connection

Changed laptop to static ip (192.168.42.11), and repeated above. Still no connection.

I am out of ideas. Any suggestions.

Message 1 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Can't log into router configured as access point

check main router attached device list for AP's IP then use it to connect.
Message 2 of 17
protonpusher
Aspirant

Checked the main router. The WNDR 3700 shows up at 192.168.42.64, which is in the DHCP range. However it is listed as "not connected." Anyway, I tried logging into 192.168.42.64, and still no luck. I suspect the 192.168.42.64 is a legacy from my earlier setup when I just plugged the 3700 into the main router which was just acting as a dsl modem.
Message 3 of 17
jlewter
Guide

routerlogin.net will only work when it is acting as the DNS server.

Confirm to us your not using the WAN port?..
Using the WAN port will cause the IP to get reassigned to 10.0.0.1 as the ip ranges would be the same on both sides of the WAN port.
Message 4 of 17
protonpusher
Aspirant

Double checked, and from the main router the ethernet cable goes into the LAN connection, not the WAN. I did try to login to 10.0.0.1, but again nothing.

I don't know if there is something else I should have changed on the 3700 AP other that the settings I mentioned in the LAN settings mentioned above.
Message 5 of 17
jlewter
Guide

Once it changes IP range you wont be able to log in to that IP unless your computer is in the same IP range with a matching subnet.

So Manually setting your IP to 10.0.0.2 / 255.255.255.0 should work.

I am confused a bit too as it should just be working.

You could reset it and start over if all else fails.
Message 6 of 17
protonpusher
Aspirant

I set the wifi adapter to 10.0.0.2, and tried via wifi, then I set the ethernet adapter to 10.0.0.3, and tried a wired connection to one on the LAN ports, no luck either way.

This is actually my 3rd go round trying to set this up. I can get everything working, but no access to the AP, so I reset everything and tried again, but with the same behavior. Right now the wireless settings seem to be working fine, so I can live with it. Just sort of confusing since it seems like I should be able to get in to the AP.
Message 7 of 17
rsgoodwin
Initiate

Old post,  but I had the same problem with my WNDR3700v3 rounter that I had set up as a AP to work with my main router,  a Netgear R7000.  I had converted the WNDR3700v3 to an AP the "manual" way by turing off DCHP,  setting the IP to my main routers,  etc.  It workd ok,  but I would have to reboot and troublshoot every few weeks (and that required a ladder!)

However, with the latest firmware for the WNDR3700v3 (firmware V1.0.0.38_1.0.31) installed,  there is a setting in the Advanced > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings > AP Mode (scroll all the way to the end).  In that page,  there is a "AP Mode" checkbox.  I simply checked "Enable AP Mode" and did not change any other settings.  (i.e. left "Get IP Address Dynamically" and "Get DNS Server Asddress Dynamically" both checked.   

Then I connected an ethernet cable to the WAN port (labeled "internet" on the router) not the LAN ports (labeled "ethernet").  This controdicts "step 6" in the netgear insructions found here.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20927/~/how-to-manually-set-a-wireless-router-to-acces...

In those instructions,  step 6 states that the ehternet cable can be connected to either the WAN (internet) or LAN (ethernet) ports,  although the image along with step 6 shows it connected to the internet port (which is what I did).

One possiblility for the problem of not being able to access the configuration page of the WNDR3700v3 when configured as a AP is that if the router (netgear R7000 in my case) is connected to the Ethernet port of the WNDR3700v3 (now a AP),  it acts as an unmanaged "switch" (wireless).  However,  if the WNDR3700v3 is connected to the Internet port,  it becomes manageable through that port.

In any case,  I was able to reach the new "router --> AP" configuration page by looking up on my R7000 router what IP adress it has assigned it.  Once I found that out,  I logged into the WNDR3700v3 and set up the wirelsss network to my preferencess (SSID's,  passwords,  guest network,  5g,  ect).  I also decided that I wanted this new AP to have a fixed Ip address (so I could always know it)...I did that in the R7000 router settings. 

Seems to be working better thant the old solution.   If your (or anyone reading this) router WNDR3700v2 does have a AP Mode in the latest firmware,  I would recomend using that and letting the main router do all the IP,  subnetmask,  etc setting automaticall for you.

Message 8 of 17
paulstol
Aspirant

I'm experience the same problem with my WNDR3700v2. Here's my setup:

•  Using as AP
  • Has static IP: 192.168.1.200
For a long time (several years) all was well. Then, last week I had to replace my main router (Actiontec MI424 rev I). All networking functionality continues to work as before, but I am unable to access the WNDR3700v2 admin pages. I have tried accessing via network and via direct ethernet connection to my pc. The WNDR3700v2 appears not to be listed as a connected device on the main Actiontec router. On the Actiontec router I see neither the static IP nor the MAC address of the WNDR3700v2 listed in connected devices. I have dozens of mac addresses listed in the mac address filtering table and I'd rather not hard reset the WNDR3700v2 and lose all of that.

Has anyone come up with a solution in the last few years??? Thanks.
Message 9 of 17
netwrks
Master

@paulstol  What subnet does your new router use? They have to match.. If the new subnet is 192.,168.2.x and your AP 192.168.1.x, you will never be able to connect to the AP.. Check the doc for the new router.. If they don't match, you will need to reset your AP to factory, and reconfig..

Message 10 of 17
jmfrankel
Tutor

"Attempting to configure 3700.v2 as an access point. Everything seems fine except I can't access the 3700.v2 AP to modify its settings. Would like to know how to access it."

-------------

I was having the same problem. I connected an old Netgear DGN3500 router to my primary router (now a Netgear R7000) via ethernet cable to use as an access point with wired and wireless clients. The DGN3500 is an ADSL modem-router that doesn't have an ethernet WAN port. I plugged the cable into one of the LAN ports, disabled DHCP, set up the same type of wireless security that I used on the primary router and everything worked. That is, the wireless and wired clients using the access point received DHCP addresses from the primary router and were able to access the internet with no problem. However, like the original poster, I was unable to access the DGN3500 from my network in order to make configuration changes. The DGN3500 did not show as an attached device in the primary router's list of attached devices or in Netgear Genie, and running a device-finding utility didn't show it, either. Even when I had configured the DGN3500 with a static IP address, it still wasn't visible on the network, and I was unable to log in to the DGN3500 using the static IP address. Other than the fact that I couldn't "see" or log in to the DGN3500, it was working just fine as an access point.

I was equally unsuccessful connecting a laptop via ethernet cable to one of the DGN3500's LAN ports, even when I had disconnected both the laptop and the DGN3500 from the network. I tried routerlogin.net, 192.168.0.1 (the DGN3500's default IP address), 10.0.0.1, the static IP address when I was using that - nothing. The only way I was able to access the DGN3500 was by disconnecting it from the network, resetting it to factory defaults via the pinhole on the back, waiting for it to restart, logging in to the default IP address from my laptop, and then reconfiguring the DGN3500 all over again from scratch. This was a pain.

I'm no network engineer, but I finally figured out how to access the DGN3500 using my laptop without having to reset the DGN3500. It seemed that a possible reason I was unable to access the DGN3500 with my laptop was because the DGN3500 was configured *not* to distribute IP addresses - remember, I had disabled DHCP. To overcome this I manually assigned an IP address to the laptop within the range of the DGN3500's default IP address, and specified the DGN3500's default IP address in the field for the router's IP address. Those values were, respectively, 192.168.0.5 for the laptop and 192.168.0.1 for the router, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. To my immense surprise, it worked! I entered 192.168.0.1 in my browser and the DGN3500's login window appeared. Once I entered the password I was in. Hurray! I still don't know why I can't access the DGN3500 from my network, but at least I've got a workaround that doesn't require resetting the DGN3500.

[Note: If the DGN3500 had been using a static IP address, I imagine that the static IP address would have been the proper value to enter in the field for the router's IP address.]

As rsgoodwin noted in this thread, Netgear has made this whole process easier for owners of newer routers that are used as access points. You can now apparently connect to them by plugging in a laptop without need of disconnecting the access point from the network. In addition to the link given by rsgoodwin, see this similar Netgear knowledge base article, which covers a different group of routers:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23784/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDUzODE0MzczL3....

Jeff Frankel

Message 11 of 17
ritamiller11
Aspirant

If you have Windows 7 installed on the PC, stick to the next ways to find your router Ip address.

• Open the Command prompt using the RUN dialog box.
  • Next, you should give the IPCONFIG command on the command prompt and push the enter button.
  • Among all the information displayed there is the Default IP.
  • Thus, you can easily access these options over the computer in the very successful manner.

In most cases your router IP address is either 192.168.1.2 or even 192.168.1.1. It is because that most of the wireless router producers used this Internet protocol address as the default IP.

Message 12 of 17
dloose52
Aspirant

This is an old thread but...

I set up a R6200 as an AP by just checking the AP box in the config page. The R6200 gets IP from main router. R6200 is 192.168.0.6, main router is 192.168.0.1. As an AP R6200 working great. Can't login to webpage on R6200 from PC on main router (wired) or a wireless tablet (everything is Win 10). But from a Dell (wireless, also Win 10) routerlogin.net gets me a weird userid/password box that says its an unsecure connection, but it accepts my credentials and I'm in the R6200. I have no idea what's going on.

Firmware 1.0.1.20_1.0.18. There is a newer version but haven't tried since AP working so well.

Message 13 of 17
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @dloose52,

1. Have you tried accessing the AP using its IP address?

2. The login prompt is normal since you are not accessing the UI via https.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 14 of 17
dloose52
Aspirant

I'll do that from the Dell tonight. Still doesn't explain how only 1 out of 3 PC's on the same network can login to the R6200 - and I know I have tried both routerlogin.net and the R6200 IP addy on the other 2. 

Message 15 of 17
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @dloose52,

If using the router's IP still does not work, I would advise to update it to the latest firmware version and do a factory reset.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 16 of 17
starriver
Initiate

I ran into the same issue once I set the router to be an access point. I was able to resolved the issue with the help of Angry IP Scanner, a free open source cross-platform tool for exploring your LAN. With only a few active devices on the network I was able to see which one (with no hostname) was the router. In my case it had an IP of 192.168.2.15. Going to that IP brought me to the Genie web interface.

Bottom line: The key was having a good tool to find the IP of the WiFi router as assigned by the LAN router.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements