Help With My Router

shall328
Novice

Help With My Router

Hi, this has been bugging me for weeks now, and I can't seem to resolve the issue. I have internet through Charter, the speed is 30/4. I have a Cisco DPC3010 modem and Netgear WNDR3800 wireless router through them as well. The problem started when my old Belkin router died. I bought a new one to replace it, but it didn't do so well, so I got the Netgear router from Charter. My problem is that 23 hours after setting it up, I lost connection to the router wirelessly, but not wired. Power cycling the router fixes the problem, but only for another 23 hours. I am on my 3rd or 4th Netgear WNDR3800 from Charter, all with the same problem.

I have updated the firmware to the latest version. It says V1.0.0.51CH in the top right corner. It also says the model number is WNDR3800CH in the top left.

My router and modem are at least 3 feet away from each other, to avoid electric interference. I downloaded InSSIDer, and found that channel 11 is my best channel to use. I tried to change to others as well. I tried to factory reset one of the routers. A tech came out and checked the lines, the box outside, and the pole. He changed some lines and said that it was fine afterward.

My setup is the modem, the router, a PC coonected via Ethernet to the router, and several wireless devices. Again, when the disconnect happens, the PC is still connected but the wireless is not. I'm usually not in the room when it first happens, but when I notice the problem, all the lights on the modem and router are normal.

Please help me out, I honestly don't know what could cause this..
Message 1 of 21
Joe_
Apprentice

Re: Help With My Router

shall328 wrote:
I have updated the firmware to the latest version. It says V1.0.0.51CH in the top right corner. It also says the model number is WNDR3800CH in the top left.

The "CH" makes me suspect it's a ISP-branded unit. You will have to get support from your ISP.
Message 2 of 21
shall328
Novice

Yeah, I've tried that. They tell me to power cycle the modem and router. They tell me to change the channel. They tell me to push the factory reset button. All things I have tried. The only thing unchanged through this whole process is the modem. They tell me the signal is good on their end. Also, it doesn't seem to affect my wired computer, but I was wondering if there was any way the modem could do something to kick off the wireless.
Message 3 of 21
shall328
Novice

Back with an update. The tech installed a new WNDR3800 this time no CH. Firmware version 1.0.0.48, channel 11, the only device on that channel in the area. Same problem, a little after a day of having the router, wireless on all my devices says either "out of range", or it doesn't show up at all. My pc hardwired to the router was fine, didn't drop that I could tell. All the lights on the router are correct and under advanced/show statistics it said the wireless was on and the counter was still going:eek:, when I checked on my PC. Any ideas?
Message 4 of 21
Fairytail
Virtuoso

I think there might be a problem with the firmwares of your ISP. Have you tired resetting the router to factory default?
Message 5 of 21
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

The tech installed a new WNDR3800 this time no CH. Firmware version 1.0.0.48, channel 11

Sounds like 2nd unit is retail unit.

Same problem, a little after a day of having the router, wireless on all my devices says either "out of range", or it doesn't show up at all.

Try using tool like inssider
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
When you have any issues with wireless check if there channel interferences.

Assume same pc can see surrounding SSID names?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 21
shall328
Novice

Well, when it did it today, I realized that the 5g device didn't lose connection, just the 2.4g devices. From what your telling me, it seems like you're right about interference. I have it set to 11, and it seems to be the best option. On inSSIDer, it shows that 11 is the best to use, followed by 6, then 1. Also, it says my Security is WPA2 and WPS, even though I hasve WPS off in the router configuration, I believe.
Message 7 of 21
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You probably need to look at inssider when you drop see what is happening.

If you see many of 2.4Ghz SSID then you maybe in saturated area. And you prove yourself that 5Ghz did not loose the connection so there is channel issues in 2.4Ghz side
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 21
sabretooth
Apprentice

Message 9 of 21
shall328
Novice

Yeah, there are several in my area, though only one is even remotely close based on signal strength. I tried channel 6, and it did the same as 11, and I'm trying 1 now. Another thing I was unsure about is the "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence" option under Advanced>Advanced Setup>Wireless settings. The default is that it is enabled, but I don't know if it should be, or if that might be part of my problem. I tried looking it up, but I don't really understand what it does. My speeds are 30 down and 4 up, if that helps.
Message 10 of 21
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

sabretooth wrote:
Remember this about inSSIDer...

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=7613

That is just one person’s opinion, and I agree with most of it, but;

I have over 26 networks operating within range of my network, fairly evenly spread over channels 1, 6, and 11. If I ignore that and pick a channel at random e.g. channel 4, then I will be contending with up to 16 other networks, if I select channel 1 or 6, or 11, I will be contending with half that number of networks (it’s important though to remember that it’s really other devices that you contend with rather than just other networks, and a single network could have any number of active clients).

If there is interference from non-802.11 devices (baby monitors / video senders / microwave ovens) then if that interference is effective enough to cause lost data, this should be listed as re-transmissions in the router / access point statistics page. If your router statistics page has logged no re-transmissions on the WiFi medium, then it’s unlikely that any in-range interfering devices are of any significance, and channel selection using knowledge of nearby network channel allocation might be more useful.

So while I would certainly agree that inSSIDer does not give all the answers and is just a crude indicator, I would still argue that it’s an aid in selecting channels by at least identifying the channels that nearby networks are operating on. I would argue that if I did use the ‘pick a channel at random’ method then I would find that the best channels to use in my area would be either 1, 6, or 11 (as inSSIDer would have indicated to me in the first place).

The idea of randomly selecting channels until finding one that works will of course work since that will in effect cover every available channel, but even then it’s only valid at that moment in time, until for example someone switches on that baby monitor in the next room, or the microwave is switched on.

A similar argument also applies to nearby WiFi networks, they may not be active all the time, and finding 5 networks on channel 6 and 2 networks on channel 1 does not necessarily mean that selecting channel 1 is the best option. Channel 1 could for example be used by a local café, with many associated clients whereas channel 5 could be used by the local OAPs with a few low activity associated clients.
Message 11 of 21
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Still been 5Ghz never looses the connection and you have 2 of same model you tested while result is same lead still to be issues on 2.4Ghz.

Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence allow all easier for connection with earlier 802.11N adapter that only supported 20Mhz/ 150Mbps and 40Mhz/ up to 450Mbps
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 12 of 21
sabretooth
Apprentice

I agree, the point is with inSSIDer is that you could have (which you state), 5 clients on one AP that are streaming 90% of the time vs. 5 AP's with one client each that check email once a day. Most would choose the one AP channel and still would wonder why things are not working right. As you can see IF you knew that the 5 AP's were only on the Internet 1 min per day, that would be the channel to select. Just something to be aware of.
Message 13 of 21
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

As the person in the link pointed out, interpretation of the indication inSSIDer gives, in relation to the environment (houses nearby, typical WiFi users, interfering devices) is important. Another common mistake people will make while reading inSSIDer results is to share a channel with other much weaker networks, but CSMA/CA works best where the other networks have strong signals, part of the reason for this misunderstanding is the incorrect use/understanding of the word ‘interference’ in the context of WiFi CSMA/CA.
Message 14 of 21
Slinky826
Novice

For what its worth, I'm a Charter employee and came here looking into this exact issue. I have one of these routers myself and have the same issue, as well as seen this issue in customers homes. So far the only two connections that I've been able to make is someone being a Charter customer, and having a Windows 8 device connecting to the router.

I personally seen the issue where the radio channel (in my case the 2.4 GHz one) acts like it shuts off. Have also seen the 5 GHz channel do the same thing for a customer. We're aware of the issue and are looking into it. Unfortunately that's the best information I can offer at the moment.
Message 15 of 21
shall328
Novice

jmizoguchi wrote:
Still been 5Ghz never looses the connection and you have 2 of same model you tested while result is same lead still to be issues on 2.4Ghz.

Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence allow all easier for connection with earlier 802.11N adapter that only supported 20Mhz/ 150Mbps and 40Mhz/ up to 450Mbps

I have now tried channels 1, 6, 11, and auto. The same issue happens on all these channels. Should I have 20/40 MHz Coexistence enabled, or turn it off? I'm not sure if turning it off would have any effect at all or if it has no effect.
Message 16 of 21
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Coexistence

Feature is based on the word used. It allows to coexist with work with various of adapter to more flexible
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 17 of 21
shall328
Novice

The coexistence, is stiIl something I don't understand. Is there any way at all it could cause my 2.4 to disappear every 24 hours? Like I said, channels 1, 6, and 11 all do the same thing. Right around 24 hours the SSID just disappears. When I open up the router statitistics, it shows that it is still broadcasting though. There is a kindle fire on the 5g and when the 2.4 went down, it was still connected to 5g just fine. Is there a setting or something I'm missing somewhere?
Message 18 of 21
shall328
Novice

I have been up now for over 2 days. I hope I'm not jinxing myself saying that. I unchecked the setting "Enable 20/40 Mhz Coexistence" and everything works fine so far. Is there a reason that having it enabled would cause me problems?
Message 19 of 21
br0thernature
Aspirant

I registered just to say I am having the exact same symptoms as OP. 2.4 connection drops randomly, and quite frequently (ranging from every 5 mins to an hour or so). Charter customer, WNDR3800 router, Router Firmware Version V1.0.0.51CH. Charter tech support is an absolute joke and suggested switching the mode on my 2.4 connection to up to 54mbps would solve my connection problems...:confused: Curious if OP will respond/update how connection is after disabling coexistence...
Message 20 of 21
texdrake
Aspirant

I have this same issue. I am highly tempted to go buy a different brand of router today to see if it resolves the issue and have charter take this one back.
Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E