Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Genie Lost what now?

Rikds
Aspirant

Genie Lost what now?

So much out there about the loss of Genie. I cannot find a solution despite reading masses of conversations. My PC (Windows 10) hard drive died and when the new one was installed I found that Genie had gone.

I'm at a complete loss as to how to establish communication with my router. (N300 WNR2000v3). I am not knowledgeable about computers and relied on the  Genie program to do various simple jobs. There seems to be no answer.

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Genie Lost what now?

Routers have always had built in web access to there web pages that can be access by most any web browser. There maybe some newer versions or generation of browsers that may not work with old coded router web pages. Firefox seems to be the best for old router web page compatibility. 

https://kb.netgear.com/22697/How-do-I-install-my-NETGEAR-router-using-the-router-web-interface

Message 2 of 6
Rikds
Aspirant

Many thanks for your reply.

The router is installed and working fine. I used Genie to check my connection when the internet went down because we are on wireless link to the village server. It was very useful. I cannot find a system that does the job.

Message 3 of 6

@Rikds wrote:

The router is installed and working fine. I used Genie to check my connection when the internet went down because we are on wireless link to the village server. It was very useful. I cannot find a system that does the job.

If you want to use the desktop Genie for Windows or Macs, it is still there, just well hidden:

Netgear is trying to kill this useful utility, but for the time being you can find it here:

genie | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Be warned that the genie installation file is wrapped up in a RAR archive that you have to decompress.

I use it all the time. Among other things, the Genie's network map is good for finding things on my network and then clicking through to them.

Message 4 of 6
Rikds
Aspirant

Thanks for that but I'm pretty thick! What and where is an RAR file?

Cheers

Message 5 of 6

@Rikds wrote:

Thanks for that but I'm pretty thick! What and where is an RAR file?

The RAR file is behind the link I provided:

Click it.

Depending on which version you want, it takes you to:

There you can choose:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/genie/NETGEAR_Genie-install_Windows_V2.4.64.rar

or

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/genie/NETGEAR_Genie_Installer_MAC_V2.4.45.rar

The rar file is really a sort of zip file. It unwraps to create an exe file.

Run that and it will install the genie.

New versions of Windows have a built-in rar unpacker. Otherwise, find a free one.

free rar extractor - Yahoo Search Results

Macs are unknown territory to me.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7