Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

BR200 - GS728TP - WAX214 and VLAN Routing/Switching

jddiebolt11
Aspirant

BR200 - GS728TP - WAX214 and VLAN Routing/Switching

My problem is multiple SSIDs and Internet access. When logged into a SSID that is assigned a VLAN, these devices have no internet access! The other 2 SSIDs that are not on a VLAN connect to the Internet just fine.

I have 3 SSIDs set up in the WAX214, SSID1 is on VLAN100, devices logged into this SSID receive an IP from the WAX214, I believe, (169.254.165.xxx) This SSID does not get to the Internet, SSID2 is default, devices logged into this SSID on the AP receive wired network IPs from the router (192.168.10.xxx) This SSID can access the Internet. SSID3 is guest by a click on the WAX214 setup. Devices logged into this SSID have an IP from the WAX214 guest network configuration (192.168.200.xxx) I know this as is is set in the AP configuration. Devices logged into this SSID can access the Inetrnet.

In the switch, GS728TP, the port to the WAX214,port3, is untagged in VLAN1 and tagged in VLAN100. The port to the router, port14, is also untagged and tagged the same. Also tried using the port1 to router port1 assigning the same tagging.

In the router, BR200 I am using 2 ports. Port 1 is from port 1 on the switch. This handles all the wired devices on the network. I added VLAN100 to port 4 of the router, VLAN1 is untagged and VLAN100 is tagged. Also tried tagging port1 in the router and disconnecting port4.

I have tried eliminating the switch as the problem using a GS305P unmanaged PoE switch. 

Made a rule to allow VLAN100 to any IP on the WAN.

What am I missing? All the write ups make it seem rather simple!

Message 1 of 6
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: BR200 - GS728TP - WAX214 and VLAN Routing/Switching

@jddiebolt11,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

It seems that you are having a problem with the tagging of ports going to your VLANs. May you be able to provide us a network topology in order for us to identify the issue?

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
jddiebolt11
Aspirant

I do not have a method to diagram the topology. It is best described as "star". Every device has an ethernet cable from the switch to the device. Hard wired devices, 2 Internet phones, 9 Cloud managed door locks, 1 PC, 2 Open Mesh OM2P access points (Cloud managed, they are tied together and have Internet access)

I will add that I have successfully got all 3 SSIDs to connect to the internet. In the BR200 I created 3 subnets and assigned an SSID VLAN to each of the subnets. This works but it limits me to only 3 SSIDs as the router will not let me add more than 4 subnets. Not desireable in my application as I cannot add the 4th SSID and keep each SSID from having access to the others. Nor will I be able to add another AP to provide more SSIDs (The network is installed in an office building with multiple businesses.)

I figured the problem was in the router because I took the AP out of the GS728TP PoE managed switch and plugged it into a dumb PoE switch GS305P and still had no Internet access on the SSIDs assigned to a VLAN.

I did set traffic rule to and from the WAN to each subnet but that did not get the SSIDs to the Internet. Selecting the router as the DHCP server for the subnet did the trick.

Long term we will get more clients in the building and each will need their own wireless SSID with Internet access. Most use wireless printers so client isolation is not an option. And we must restrict access of wireless users from the building LAN.

Message 3 of 6
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@jddiebolt11,

You can try to draw it on a piece of paper on how all the cables are connected to each port of all your devices and even the VLAN tagging on your switch in order for us to check what seems to be causing this problem. 

BR200 can support up to 256 VLANs based on the datasheet. This should work just fine with 4th subnet that you are trying to create. It will be best if you can also attach a screenshot of your configuration so that we can review it.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 6
sonnyd808
Aspirant

inter vlan routing for this type of product is not working.. the option to enable vlan is there but it doesnt work. I don't recommend this product if you like to configure inter vlan routing with multiple SSID.

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@sonnyd808 wrote:

inter vlan routing for this type of product is not working.. the option to enable vlan is there but it doesnt work. I don't recommend this product if you like to configure inter vlan routing with multiple SSID.

The meanwhile obsolete BR200 was (still is where operational) able to work as a basic L3 IPv4 router including DHCP for the subnets; the smart switches like the GS728TP can nicely act as designed doing L2+ fast cut routing to attached devices. when properly configured (what was never was in scope of this post in the Hardware Firewall and Business Routers). Last but not least, the WAX214 is multi SSID and VLAN capable, but it's a pure wireless access point, and in no aspect a router.

So what are you talking about here please? Consider to open a new thread in the Netgear Community, ideally in the appropriate section instead of necro-posting. A little bit more verbose information of the product and the problem would be helpful. Thank you! 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements