Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't connect to FVS318N L2TP VPN with Windows client - Error 789_case # 25689768

DanCan
Aspirant

Can't connect to FVS318N L2TP VPN with Windows client - Error 789_case # 25689768

I have a FVS318N that has been in place for a couple of years.  Recently I was asked by a couple of employees to enable VPN access.  So I figured I would play with it and see what my options were/are.  I have applied the latest firmware, 4.3.3-5.

I then followed this KB

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24393/~/configuring-an-l2tp-vpn-tunnel-to-prosafe%2Fpr...

All seemed pretty straight forward.  However, when I try to connect from a windows client:  I've tried Windows 7x64, 32, Windows Server 2008r2, even Windows XP, I get an error 789.  I get the supremely generic Event ID 20227 in the windows event log.

It feels like I have missed a config step on the Netgear, need to allow traffic in somehow or something.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

Message 1 of 15
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Can't connect to FVS318N L2TP VPN with Windows client - Error 789

Hi DanCan,

Let me share this link below and it might help:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4PuVEYxkQ5oMXppNzVnT3lLUEU/view?pli=1

Hope it helps Smiley Happy

Regards,

DaneA

Netgear Community Team

Message 2 of 15
DanCan
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion DaneA, I had done all those steps except the Registry edit.  I did that and rebooted, no joy.

I think it has to be something else because I can't connect even with Windows XP either.

Thanks,

Dan

Message 3 of 15
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DanCan,

I found this link below online.  Kindly watch and follow the steps as this might help you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCbxTVonZJc

Hope it helps Smiley Happy

Regards,

DaneA

Netgear Community Team

Message 4 of 15
DanCan
Aspirant

Yeah, tried the steps in that video, still no luck.

Just seems rediculous that this is so hard to get to work... there are only about a billion Windows machines out there.  Surely someone has made this work.

Dan

Message 5 of 15
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DanCan

Is L2TP VPN Pass through enabled on your FVS318N?  Kindly follow the steps below to verify:

a. On the web-GGUI of the FVS318N, go to  Security > Firewall > Attack Checks. In the upper right of the screen, the IPv4 radio button is selected by default.

b. Make sure there is a check mark on L2TP under VPN Pass through.

c. Click Apply.

L2TP VPN Pass through.jpg

Regards,

DaneA

Netgear Community Team

Message 6 of 15
DanCan
Aspirant

Yeah, passthrough is enabled already.

Maybe there is a better VPN option I should be trying?  I was trying to avoid buying the VPN client, but that might be my only option.

DanCan

Message 7 of 15
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DanCan,

You may want to try the 30-day trial period of using the VPN Client Professional Software. Check these links below for more information:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1072/~/prosafe%E2%84%A2-vpn-client-software%3A-product...

http://support.netgear.com/product/vpng01l

Regards,

DaneA

Netgear Community Team

Message 8 of 15
jiri_t
Aspirant

Hello DaneA,

I have the same problem on FVS318N and from my point there is a bug with the latest firmware (Firmware Version: 4.3.3-6). I enabled inbound ports (UDP 1701, 500, 4500) needs for L2TP and this doesn't help at all they are still closed. Even if U have enabled or disabled L2TP server on FS318N or point to a server with L2TP service and even these are blocked. Forwarding works fine for PPTP (TCP 1723) service on the server. This is reason why I assume bug in the firmware. Also there is a problem with password change of L2TP users and this used to be fine with older version.

Using the VPN Lite client is fine, but till I need to reinstall my comp as there is annoying too complicated Activation workaround :(...

Hope NetGear will check and fix the issues with L2TP server and ports.

Thanks

JiriT

Message 9 of 15
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jiri_t,

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. What Operating System/s have you used so far for L2TP VPN?

b. Was L2TP VPN working before prior to updating to firmware v4.3.3-6?

c. I assume you have read this whole forum thread, have you tried the steps on the links shared on this forum thread?  

Kindly post a screenshot of your detailed network setup.  I look forward to your response.

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 15
jiri_t
Aspirant

Hi DaneA,

Thanks for your replay and here are my answers: 

a) Windows 7 btw also followed descriptions from this threads. The same error. To be honest from my point of view this is because the mentioned port are not enabled even U open/run L2TP service, doesn't matter if U run it on FVS318N or on a computer. If U start PPTP service on a comp/server the opening port 1723 works well.

b) never ever even by following this https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4PuVEYxkQ5oMXppNzVnT3lLUEU/view?pli=1  and other description. I configured Netgear Lite VPN client and also pro version with IPSec and it works well. But it do not use L2TP service and as I mentioned there is annoying work around with reinstaling OS and reactivation the lite client.

c) definitely and search also outside of this and spent with this too much time. As I already mentioned, from my point there is a bug in firmware with disabling L2TP ports and dropping L2TP packets. If I configured different port and start a service using this port then is open shows as opened. Once i disable the service the port is also disabled which is right Firewall function and I like it.

Did U were able to correctly configure L2TP service on FVS318N and use Win7 as a client?  if yes, share please video, but I don't belive this until a new update/fix will be released... als mentioned error with password change for L2TP users whis used to work with older versions, but not sure which is the right one

Thanks a lot for your support!!!

JiriT

Message 11 of 15
jiri_t
Aspirant

Hello DaneA

did U have time to check integrated L2TP server or why ports are not opened once L2TP service running?

Thanks for update

JiriT

Message 12 of 15
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jiri_t,

I apologize for not getting back to you.  So far, I have not found any open issues about it.  I think it would be best that you contact NETGEAR Support then open a case and report about your findings.  You may need to submit logs for it to be analyze and the case might be escalated to the engineering team if it seems to be really an issue.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 13 of 15
ptsewell
Aspirant

I believe this issue is related to a Windows update.  I have 1 machine that can connect which is running a fresh install of Windows 7 Home 32 bit with no updates.  The rest of my windows 7 machines that cannot connect are running with updates.  I think the update occurred between February and October of 2015, but I have not determined which one as of yet.

I was able to connect to the FVS318N router via L2TP VPN using PAP and MSCHAP without error for quite some time.  Then it just stopped.  After reformatting the aforementioned Windows 7 machine, I was able to reconnect.

Message 14 of 15
jiri_t
Aspirant

Hi ptsewell,

I can make U sure this is not my case. I replace FVS318N by another device just for experiment and run the L2TP service on a server and use MSChap v2. Tested on Win 7 Ultimate up to date and this works fine and I have no problem with it. 

So I'm pretty sure problem is with the FVS318N itself. For me is criterium use L2TP with MSChap v2 and this doesn't works at all.

Can U share how or what all U configured on FVS318N?

Thanks

jiri_t

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements