Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Multiple static IP's on FVS-318N

starion
Aspirant

Multiple static IP's on FVS-318N

I have multiple static IP's from my internet provider. At the moment, I have various publicly available servers simply plugged into a five port hub off the cable modem and one of the static IP's set up in the FVS-318N.

I need to try and get this all run through the firewall now. I want to be able to have one connection from the cable modem to the FVS-318N, and then route various public IP's to the correct server on the LAN.

Is this possible with this device? If it's possible, can anyone explain how this is done?
Message 1 of 25
adit
Mentor

Re: Multiple static IP's on FVS-318N

Use Rules to assign Services to specific LAN Devices with each public IP.
Message 2 of 25
starion
Aspirant

Can you please provide specific examples? I have tried every combination and cannot get it to work.
Message 3 of 25
adit
Mentor

Read page 135 of the manual, last section.
Message 4 of 25
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

http://interface.netgear-forum.com/FVS336G/add_inbound.htm

same interface....

WAN is where you specify your public IP that is useable
Message 5 of 25
starion
Aspirant

I don't have the layout you show on my router (FVS-318N). Here's a screenshot of what I have set up...it doesn't work by the way...

Message 6 of 25
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You in the right place and WAN is place to use look ok
Message 7 of 25
starion
Aspirant

Except nothing is being routed to 192.168.0.249 from 74.87.108.87. The WAN IP is basically non-responsive to anything.
Message 8 of 25
starion
Aspirant

I have tried numerous variations in the configuration and I CANNOT get 74.87.108.86 (one of my static IP's) to talk to the internal LAN IP 192.168.0.249.

Without any evidence to the contrary, I must assume that the configurations suggested by both users here and technical support do not work, thus broken.

If anyone can verify that this type situation can work, I would be very interested in how you were able to make it work.
Message 9 of 25
starion
Aspirant

I have also set up inbound and outbound rules to allow all between those IP's and it still doesn't work.
Message 10 of 25
adit
Mentor

Is the default gateway set on .249? Is it the LAN IP of the 318?
Message 11 of 25
starion
Aspirant

Huh? You've really lost me now. Can you be more specific? Default gateway where? On what?
Message 12 of 25
adit
Mentor

Whatever is on 192.168.0.249.
Message 13 of 25
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

starion wrote:
Huh? You've really lost me now. Can you be more specific? Default gateway where? On what?

it means the gateway address correctly setup on server itself on the device network properties
Message 14 of 25
starion
Aspirant

Okay, I think this whole thing has gotten muddled and way off track. Let me try to explain it a different way and with more detail.

I have a group of static IP's from our ISP. The first IP is assigned to the ISP/Wan settings of the FVS-318N, lets just call it xxx.xxx.xxx.82

I have a server on the LAN with an address of 192.168.0.235

I need this particular server to use a specific IP out of our public group, NOT the one that is assigned to the WAN interface.

In other words, when that server at .235 has communication, it needs to be using a specific public IP both in and out (although in is not so critical). The receiving server needs to see the traffic from a specific IP.

I think this might be WAN multi-homing maybe? Put yet another way:

LAN>WAN LAN DHCP Range>xxx.xxx.xxx.82
LAN>WAN 192.168.0.233>xxx.xxx.xxx.86
WAN>LAN xxx.xxx.xxx.82>LAN DHCP Range
WAN>LAN xxx.xxx.xxx.86>192.168.0.233

I believe I have tried every combination of inbound/outbound rules and none of them work. It always winds up sending out of the WAN port's ISP/Broadband set IP address. i.e. xxx.xxx.xxx.82
Message 15 of 25
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

If using inbound/outbound rules with specifying public IP is not going to work then you will need to use classical routing feature in the router
Message 16 of 25
starion
Aspirant

Yes, but then DHCP'd computers on your network can't reach the internet.
Message 17 of 25
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You need another nat routers.
Message 18 of 25
rrnworks
Aspirant

This has to be the worst support forum I've ever seen.  Classical routing is not an option - the user is trying to use the router like it was designed to work and it isn't working (NAT with inbound rule for a static IP from his assigned block of multiple static IPs).  The static IP assign to the WAN itself routes inbound properly.  It is only when assign one of the other static IPs from the block where it doesn't route inbound.  I have a 318Gv2 so it seems like a bug in the firmware. 

Message 19 of 25
Sophostry
Aspirant

What you need to do, is one outbound rule for that device, an ANY rule, and it uses a secondary address from that section of the manual.

That means any traffic it sends out, goes out that address.  Incoming traffic, if you setup the inbound rule, will always respond on the same IP address as to be expected.

You shouldn't need to do classical routing; the feature has been in the devices for years now, and you will just need the oubound ANY rule, with the xxx.xxx.xxx.82 attached to it, and you will be good to go.

Message 20 of 25
RyanJ
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It works, and I have seen it work countless times.  However, I have also seen the feature have issues on devices, can't recall if ever on the FVS318N.  Generally it falls in to a few categories:

1. ISP isn't actually sending traffic to that IP and have not configured a route on their end, if a capture shows nothing and you're sending traffic to that IP to test, then you'll know this is the case immediately.

2. The ISP wants a Proxy ARP which our devices historically did not support, although may currently(I'd have to check); rebooting the modem, removing the battery if it has one and waiting a moment before putting it back in, generally fixes that outright.

3. It is working, but the traffic doesn't appear to be; running a capture will show what is happening and is always recommended for verification.  Software issues look like this generally, where the network and all is fine but something isn't configured right elsewhere.

4. ISP isn't actually sending traffic to that IP and told you the incorrect range of IPs, and you have to call them to verify what it is. (rarely, but occurs enough that I've seen it a few times)

5. Old firmware bugs.  Stable currently doesn't mean it always was, and I didn't see which one it is, mentioned above.  The latest I always recommend if having issue.  If you're fine and stable, never change.  If it aint broke, don't fix it is always sound advice.

6. Something else/fluke/bug.  For that we would collect as much information, config file, remote access if possible, and work with our Engineering team to debug the issue and figure out what is going on. (rarest, as port forwarding part of the unit is the most stable and least changing feature) 

Either way, I'd check the first 5 before heading to number 6.  Also, captures will give you a lot of information.  Forward ping instead of your service for testing, or send that IP to an HTTP server you have and test with your phone.  All this should at least give you an idea of where the issue truly is, and if it is us, then having all of that information on hand is the fastest way to go forward.  More info helps everyone involved.  Right now we're just throwing out ideas and things we've commonly seen.  Smiley Wink

As far as how you have it configured, other than the service, it looks fine, although now the devices have the secondary addresses on newer firmware.  I'd have to check when they added it but I thought it was the 4.x firmware codebase, which would imply you're on the old 3.x firmware, but again that's my memory and I could be wrong.

Edit: Also, in seeing a later reply, you do need the outbound rule bound to that IP as well.  

Message 21 of 25
rrnworks
Aspirant

I'm still trying to setup a 2nd inbound static IP on an FVS318Gv2.  I'm pretty sure it is the firmware bug, since I set this up on the exact same network with an FVS336G.   The whole outbound policy is a wild goose chase.  It never was needed before?  

Here's a description of setting up a 1 to 1 NAT with a 2nd public IP - no mention of outbound policy is made - and this looks exactly like my fvs336g and fvs318Gv2 setup - except the 336 worked and the 318 doesn't for the 2nd public IP:

http://documentation.netgear.com/fvs338/enu/202-10046-03/FVS338-06-10.html

Message 22 of 25
rrnworks
Aspirant

I'm still trying to setup a 2nd inbound static IP on an FVS318Gv2 with the latest firmware as of today (since previous firmwares all had their own various bugs).  I'm pretty sure it is the firmware bug possibly related to impromper subnet handling, since I set this up on the exact same network with an FVS336G.   The whole outbound policy is a wild goose chase.  It never was needed before?  

Here's a description of setting up a 1 to 1 NAT with a 2nd public IP - no mention of outbound policy is made - and this looks exactly like my fvs336g and fvs318Gv2 setup - except the 336 worked and the 318 doesn't for the 2nd public IP:

http://documentation.netgear.com/fvs338/enu/202-10046-03/FVS338-06-10.html

This also is the same as page 165 of the actual manual for the fvs318gv2:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/FVS318GV2/FVS318Gv2_RM_21Oct2014.pdf

Message 23 of 25
Sophostry
Aspirant

The outbound rule is needed only when the server is sending traffic out without being solicited first.  Think of the inbound rule. The firewall remembers that when it came to your static IP, to respond with that same IP.  However if a server sends out traffic and is not responding, without the outbound rule it would use the devices WAN IP.  That is the purpose of having the outbound rule, and based on what you said earlier that all traffic from the device needs to use that one IP, it seems to be needed.

Message 24 of 25
rrnworks
Aspirant

Yes, that makes sense.  Sorry, I think I should open a new thread on my particular issue.

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements