Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR ProSafe VPN Firewall FVS338 – Nighthawk X6

Teknikforlaget
Aspirant

NETGEAR ProSafe VPN Firewall FVS338 – Nighthawk X6

Dear Netgear community!

We have decided to upgrade our router after a long time of very faithful service. 

– Our current router is NETGEAR ProSafe VPN Firewall FVS338

– We will get the Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000-100PES

Question: Since we have a VPN solution configured (really nothing too complicated) in our current router, is it possible to use the backup preference file exported from the FVS338 and then import it into the new Nighthawk X6? Or is the jump between the two too big and Im being too lazy? The file it generates is called FVS338.cfg

Grateful for all feedback!

Best,

Tom

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: NETGEAR ProSafe VPN Firewall FVS338 – Nighthawk X6

@Teknikforlaget wrote:

is it possible to use the backup preference file exported from the FVS338 and then import it into the new Nighthawk X6?

The config files aren't compatible, so you will need to reconfigure.

The Nighthawk routers include openvpn support (at least the R7000 and R8500 do), so it is different from the FVS338.  You'll need the openvpn app on the PCs and mobile devices.  You download the config file from the router admin page.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Teknikforlaget wrote:

is it possible to use the backup preference file exported from the FVS338 and then import it into the new Nighthawk X6?

The config files aren't compatible, so you will need to reconfigure.

The Nighthawk routers include openvpn support (at least the R7000 and R8500 do), so it is different from the FVS338.  You'll need the openvpn app on the PCs and mobile devices.  You download the config file from the router admin page.

Message 2 of 4
Teknikforlaget
Aspirant

Dear Stephen!

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. I guess we´ll have to reconfigure the whole thing and I guess it could be done through a browser?!

Im on a mac and I use the IP Securitas client to access the network remotely.

Best,

Tom

Message 3 of 4
Danthem
NETGEAR Employee

Hej! 

Worth noting is that the Nighthawk would be considered a home unit, if you want to go down the business line I'd recommend going for a FVS336Gv3 instead. It has two WAN ports and can do IPSec VPN , PPTP, L2TP and SSL VPN (I recommend IPSec though).

-Danthem

edit; you still wouldn't be able to transfer to config file over, but the settings on the FVS336Gv3 would be similar to the FVS338 so you'd know what to look for :).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements