Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

need some help with acces my RAX120 router with VPN

Roccade
Aspirant

need some help with acces my RAX120 router with VPN

I want to acces my router from outside with a VPN

Tried a couple of things last days with nothing seems to work

Can anyone help me to set a VPN connection to acces my local network from outside?

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: need some help with acces my RAX120 router with VPN

Whatever VPN you have in mind here. The fine Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream AX6000 WiFi Router Model RAX120 User Manual has a comprehensice chapter on "Use OpenVPN to Access Your Network".

OpenVPN allows two different modes of operation: routed mode and bridged mode. Not all OpenVPN client implementaitions allow the bridged, sometimes called tap-mode (vs. tun-mode).

Bridged mode means that the VPN tunnel encapsulates full ethernet frames (up to 1514 bytes long), rather than IP packets (up to 1500 bytes). In itself, this would just add some overhead to the VPN traffic; but in practice, together with some special configuration in the OS (described later), this allows to connect the VPN and its users to a real, physical ethernet network at the data-link level, effectively turning the whole system (ethernet network + VPN) into a single broadcast domain.

For a successful VPN implementation, you need an Internet connection with a public (ideally IPv4) address, no other NAT router and even less any  carrier-grade-NAT in place on your ISP side.

@Roccade wrote:

Tried a couple of things last days with nothing seems to work

Not a good starting point, because of the crystal ball is currently out of the house.

Message 2 of 4
Roccade
Aspirant

can you explain this a little bit more?
Maybe i reading i wrong, but is this a solution for my problem?

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@Roccade wrote:

can you explain this a little bit more?

Just tried to understand what for intentions and plans for a VPN are :

• what kind of VPN you have in mind,
  • and your RAX120 does have  public routeable IPv4 address assigned, to be reachable from the Internet
@Roccade wrote:

Maybe i reading i wrong, but is this a solution for my problem?

Users come often here with interesting ideas on what a VPN would be. 

The fine Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream AX6000 WiFi Router Model RAX120 User Manual does have a comprehensive chapter, 10 Use OpenVPN to Access Your Network, with an intro section on VPN Connections your consumer router.

Difficult to provide a solution without an obvious (or less obvious) problem.

Start asking Google "What's my IP address", and compare if the result does match to the IP address you see on your RAX120 WAN/Internet connection details.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements