× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Broadcast forwarding on GS724Tv4

psketch
Aspirant

Broadcast forwarding on GS724Tv4

Hi

I'm just setting up a GS724T on my somewhat complicated home network - 4 VLANs.  VLAN config and routing are all working fine, but I wondered if it's possible to setup forwarding of broadcast messages between VLANs.  I have various devices which, for example, search for their server by sending out broadcast messages, but this fails because the devices and the servers are in different vlans.  Any guidance would be much appreciated.

pete S

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
MikeD1234
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @psketch,

By nature, broadcast is within it's own domain, however, there are ways to transmit data across VLANs, even though, they normally resides within it's own broadcast domain.

Can you explain a little bit on what traffic is needed to go across VLANs?

For instance, you can use IP helper, to forward packets across VLANs.

I wrote an article a long time ago (to forward WoL packets), but, this should help you get this setup. I have attached it here 😊.

Please let me know if this solved your issues, or, advise a little bit more on the setup etc.

Mike

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
MikeD1234
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @psketch,

By nature, broadcast is within it's own domain, however, there are ways to transmit data across VLANs, even though, they normally resides within it's own broadcast domain.

Can you explain a little bit on what traffic is needed to go across VLANs?

For instance, you can use IP helper, to forward packets across VLANs.

I wrote an article a long time ago (to forward WoL packets), but, this should help you get this setup. I have attached it here 😊.

Please let me know if this solved your issues, or, advise a little bit more on the setup etc.

Mike

Message 2 of 6
psketch
Aspirant

Thanks - I'll check it out.  It looks like the CLI on GS724T although hidden does allow these changes, so should work.

Thanks again

Message 3 of 6
MikeD1234
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @psketch,

there is also a GUI description in that document. That should allow you to do this.

But, let me know once you run into any issues, I can try and find an answer for you.

Mike

Message 4 of 6
psketch
Aspirant

Sadly, the GS724 doesn't have the GUI relay options, but CLI does look to exist and be similar, so looks like an option.

Message 5 of 6
MikeD1234
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @psketch,

Apologies, I missed that it was a smart switch, as it was in the managed switches section.

But, I just checked the CLI for the GS switch, and we do have the commands available, so you should be able to make this work with the commands.

If it doesn't work, please let me know, and I can run some tests here. 😊

ADditionally, if you can then supply me with your TechSupport and/or running config.

Mike

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements