× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Detected port speed

NGSC101Usr
Aspirant

Detected port speed

H All,

Can anyone help with the following...

I have a HDBASET device connected to this switch and it operates at GB speed as per vendor, passing audio/video, full HD and 4k/2k. Despite this, the switch detects it at 100MB rather than setting port speed to 1GB. My question(s) are:

1. Is it possible to override "Auto" setting to "hard set" speed to 1GB, which is not an available setting on switch?

2. When using the VPN feature, what are the optimal settings for audio/video, including settings for broadcast QOS, rate limits, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Model: GS108PEv3|ProSafe Gigabit Plus switch with PoE
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Detected port speed

Hello NGSC101Usr, 

Yes, that is true however this switch it has some limitation compared to the Layer 2+ and Layer 3 models. By default, it is set to Auto for 1GB and all other options are only for lower speeds. I believe this is by design. It can be used on a VPN network, yes. On its own it does NOT have a VPN capability, remember that this is only a ProSafe Plus switch and not a firewall/router.  

Thanks, 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello NGSC101Usr, 

Welcome to the community! 

What is the model number of your device? I only see GS108PEv3 entered on the model number line. If so, there is no option to have it on 1GB since it is auto sensing. It detects the speed of the devices that you plug into it. The GS108PEv3 does not have a VPN feature, so please tell me if this is not the correct model. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 5
NGSC101Usr
Aspirant

Hi JohnRo,

Thanks for the reply.

The model number is as previously specified, I'm not aware of any other designation. This model does have VPN ability as I have this set up now, which is why I enquired about broadcast settings, amongst other things.

Presumably, from what you said, I cannot "hard set" a 1GB setting. Why are there manual settings for all other speeds apart from the 1GB speed?

Thanks.

Message 3 of 5
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello NGSC101Usr, 

Yes, that is true however this switch it has some limitation compared to the Layer 2+ and Layer 3 models. By default, it is set to Auto for 1GB and all other options are only for lower speeds. I believe this is by design. It can be used on a VPN network, yes. On its own it does NOT have a VPN capability, remember that this is only a ProSafe Plus switch and not a firewall/router.  

Thanks, 

Message 4 of 5
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi NGSC101Usr, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks, 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements