× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS105PE not powering up

Graylock
Aspirant

GS105PE not powering up

Connecting a GS105PE to a Linksys LGS116P POE+ switch.  The power led comes on, but port 5 shows no lights and the switch does not work.  The Linksys has plenty of power, so I'm at a loss.  Any ideas?

Model: GS105PE|ProSafe Plus 5 ports switch with PoE pass through
Message 1 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GS105PE not powering up

Hi Graylock,

Let us isolate the problem.  Kindly answer the questions below:

a. Have you tried using other ethernet cable(s) to connect the Linksys LGS116P PoE+ switch to port 5 of the GS105PE switch then check if the GS105PE switch will power on?

b. I found out online that the first 1-8 ports are PoE+ ports of the Linksys LGS116P PoE+ switch.  Have you tried using all of the 1-8 ports of the Linksys LGS116P PoE+ switch to isolate the problem?

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
Graylock
Aspirant

Thanks for your quick reply, Dana.  In answer to your question, 

a) yes, I've used several cables, including short (18-inch) cables connected directly to the Linksys switch.

b) I have tried disconnecting other POE devices from the Linksys and then connecting the GS105PE to several ports on the Linksys (2 or 3, but I didn't try all 8).  Same result each time--the Power led on the GS105PE lights up, and the POE light on the Linksys lights up indicating that a POE connection has been negotiated.  However, none of the ports 1-5 on the GS105PE light up or show any network activity, and the Ethernet link light on the Linksys is similarly dark.  In other words, the GS105PE seems to be getting power, but there is no network activity.

Message 3 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Graylock,

Based from your response, I advise you to open an online case with NETGEAR Support and let them know about your concern for further assistance.  Its possible that this might be an issue with compatibility between the GS105PE and the Linksys LGS116P PoE+ switch.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 6
Graylock
Aspirant

Just for the sake of closure, in case anyone else experiences this problem:

I did open a support ticket with Netgear, and received this response--

It appears that you're having problem getting access to the internet when GS105PE switch is connected to your LGS116P PoE switch. Please make sure that the uplink cable from LGS116P switch is connected to the port 5 of the GS105PE. Please assign also static IP address on the GS105PE switch which same range with your LGS116P device. For PoE connection and installation details for the netgear switch, please refer to the documentation below. Thanks.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/GS105PE/GS105PE_IG_7Nov2013.pdf

To know more about your device, NETGEAR FAQs are available at:

http://support.netgear.com

Also for your convenience, we have Online Chat support experts available to answer inquiries in real time. You can visit our Online Chat support link at http://support.netgear.com/general/contact/default.aspx and also please feel free to bookmark this link for your future reference.

Of course, I really can't assign a static IP if I can't get the switch to connect to the network!  Anyway, I'm done and will be returning this switch.  Judging from comments on Amazon for this item, it appears many have had similar problems.  An item like this should "just work", and it is clear that the GS105PE is not ready for prime time.

Message 5 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Graylock,

I feel sorry for this. 😞  For me, the online case should have been escalated to the engineering team.  

Sincerely,

DaneA

NETGEAR Communtiy Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements