× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

M4300-8X8F (stacked) with LAG to S3300-28X and VLAN - configuration issues

Mettwurscht
Aspirant

M4300-8X8F (stacked) with LAG to S3300-28X and VLAN - configuration issues

Hi all,

this is my network:Switches_top.png

the sw_core are two stacked M4300-8X8F, switches 1 and 2 are also stacked, switch 3 is a single device.

There are also some VLAN configured:

VLAN 1 (default and untagged, will move to VLAN 10 somedays)

VLAN 29 (tagged)

VLAN 90 (tagged)

VLAN 1 is also used for management at the moment, but will also move to a separate VLAN. I mention it just for the case of expected questions will be asked. 😉

On the three stacked switches, VLAN are completely removed from the stacking ports. VLAN has also been removed from the ports which are used for LAG. But VLAN has been added to the LAG itself.

In this case, all three VLAN are tagged on the LAG. On the M4300 the VLAN trunk configuration is set to "general" for all ports and LAG.

Somewhere must be a misconfiguration because the network stops working. I'd be very grateful for some hints.

Message 1 of 6
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: M4300-8X8F (stacked) with LAG to S3300-28X and VLAN - configuration issues

@Mettwurscht,

Welcome to the community!

Have you already tried setting the LAGs for VLAN1 to Untagged instead?

Regards,

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
Mettwurscht
Aspirant

Hello,

yes, I tried this. Changing VLAN1 from tagged to untagged works for a while. But not very reliable. I've experienced e.g. paket loss and suddenly networks stops working again.

Next I'll change the LAG setup to a single connection.

Message 3 of 6
Mettwurscht
Aspirant

Today, I changed the LAG setup to a non-LAG setup and enabled just one of the two ports. Additionally I set every VLAN to tagged. Up to now there are no further problems on the network. Next I'll enable one LAG to see, what is going to happen.

Message 4 of 6
Mettwurscht
Aspirant

After enabling LAG, the error occurs again. What am I doing wrong?

Message 5 of 6
UltimateInterne
Aspirant

I came to your post with a different question (trying to stack M4300-8x8f with the S3300-28x) and there's no way the M4300-8x8f will do it unfortunately.  M4300-12x12f does however, bummer to find that out after spending money on equipment..

I digress.  I see your issue with LAG and stability -- I had similar experiences and issues between the S3300-28x's and different equipment, using and not using vLAN -- there's a proper order to it, I can't say that this is the right order but this is what I recall.  LAG then vLAN.  If you set it up opposite, it will create flow issues.  If you have things NOT DEFAULT before going down LAG then VLAN it will create flow issues.  It shows up almost instantaneously in most cases but I've had days where it was fine then it wasn't.  I dove through all sorts of documentation to find this tiny footnote and I hope I got it right passing the information to you.

Good luck.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements