× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

MLag and LACP configuration on M4500 (using CLI)

asifshaikh04
Tutor

MLag and LACP configuration on M4500 (using CLI)

Hello,

I am New to Netgear and i want to cofigure MLAG and LCAP to my Switch M4500-32
C But i did not find proper Doc which give command referance if someone can guide the configuration using CLI will be helpfull 

MLAG and LACP

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Re: MLag and LACP configuration on M4500 (using CLI)

Wow, congratulations @asifshaikh04 

Thank you for letting us know!

Regards,

Laurent Masia

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @asifshaikh04 ,

First, please upgrade your M4500 switches to the latest firmware; this way Auto-LAG and Auto-Trunk can be used with the AV User Interface with the other M series.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/m4500-32c#download

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/m4500-48xf8c#download

MLAG still needs to be configured manually, using CLI, between two switches. After that, Auto-LAG and Auto-Trunk can be configured in order to have any M4250/M4300/M4350/M4500 switches connecting to both MLAG switches forming LACP LAGs automatically.

You will find the technical documentation here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/m4500-32c#docs

The Software Admin Manual is a collection of examples, MLAG is explained.

You can send an email to ProAVDesign@netgear.com for some more help!

I am showing an example below using two M4500 XSM4556; but you can follow it step by step with your two M4500 CSM4532, this is the exact same with different port numbers:

Example: two M4500 XSM4556 switches can be used in active-active mode, so that the GSM4248UX’s can connect to both of them using LAG as if it was a single switch at the core.

This is MLAG, not stacking. But it’s better than stacking, no multicast flooding between the two core switches.

The method is explained in the admin guide starting page 62.

• First enable MLAG and create MLAG Domain 1 on each switch, with all necessary other commands (peer-keepalive etc.)
  • Second create a LAG between the two core switches, and convert this LAG into a peer link for this MLAG domain
  • Third create the LAGs on each core switch, specifying the MLAG number – this way you have a MLAG across both switches every time
  • On the access GSM4248UX switches, just do a standard LAG (stay default on all parameters) and connect to every core switch

Example:

If I am assuming that your left XSM4556 has a Source Management IP address of 172.20.20.101 (for instance source management is OOB port)

If I am assuming that your left XSM4556 has a Source Management IP address of 172.20.20.102 (for instance source management is OOB port)

If I am assuming that you are going to use the 8x100G ports on each XSM4556 for the 800G peer link between the two core switches

1. Enable MLAG and create MLAG Domain 1 on each core switch, with dual control plane detection (keepalive source destination)

Core Switch 101, in Global config mode: #mlag; #mlag domain 1; #mlag peer-keepalive enable; #mlag peer-keepalive destination 172.20.20.102 source 172.20.20.101; exit

Core Switch 102, in Global config mode: #mlag; #mlag domain 1; #mlag peer-keepalive enable; #mlag peer-keepalive destination 172.20.20.101 source 172.20.20.102; exit

1. Create LAG1 and make it Peer Link on both core switches, tagged mode only (no untag traffic must be found on peer link)

Core switch 101 and 102, in Config Interface Range 0/49-0/56: channel-group 1 mode active

Core Switch 101 and 102, in Config general mode: #interface port-channel 1; ch1# no staticcapability; ch1#ip igmp snooping interfacemode; ch1#switchport mode trunk; ch1#description “MLAG-Peer-Link”; ch1#no switchport trunk native vlan; ch1# mlag peer-link ;exit

If I am assuming that you want to connect two GSM4248UX with, each, 4x10G links to the first XSM4556, and 4x10G links to the second XSM4556

1. Do the MLAG2 for the first GSM4248UX on each core switch (identical on each switch)

Core switch 101 and 102, in Config Interface Range 0/1-0/4: channel-group 2 mode active

Core Switch 101 and 102, in Config general mode: #interface port-channel 2; ch2# no staticcapability; ch2#ip igmp snooping interfacemode; ch2#switchport mode trunk; ch2#description “Link-to-first-GSM4248UX”; ch2#no switchport trunk native vlan; ch2# mlag2; exit

1. Do the MLAG3 for the second GSM4248UX on each core switch (identical on each switch)

Core switch 101 and 102, in Config Interface Range 0/5-0/8: channel-group 3 mode active

Core Switch 101 and 102, in Config general mode: #interface port-channel 3; ch3# no staticcapability; ch3#ip igmp snooping interfacemode; ch3#switchport mode trunk; ch3#description “Link-to-second-GSM4248UX”; ch3#no switchport trunk native vlan; ch3# mlag3; exit

1. Etc.
    2. Disable Spanning Tree on both core switches at the very end, only when all MLAG interfaces are up from the edge

Core Switch 101 and 102, in Global config mode: #no spanning-tree ;exit

Message 2 of 9
asifshaikh04
Tutor

Thanks it was very helpful and productive answer

I need more help 

We have connected 4×10 40G DaC cable to ubiquiti but unfortunately ubiquiti switch are not getting IP and link which is connected to DAC is down 

Cloud you suggested something with configuration 

Message 3 of 9
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Is it a QSFP+ 40G breakout DAC cable that you are inserting into one of the QSFP28 100G ports of the M4500 CSM4532?

The portmode command is used to configure QSFP28 interfaces with 1x100G, 1x40G, 4x25G, or 4x10G. If you are using portmode 4x10G here, we may have interop issue with the breakout DAC cable; or with the way the third-party switches handle it on the other end.

Please upgrade the M4500 CSM4532 switch with latest software:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/m4500-32c#download

Please use the release notes for the method updating the firmware.

With the latest software, you will have the AV User Interface, and it will be easier to produce the Tech Support file (Diagnostics/Support Diagnostics). In the TS file, there are all the show fiber command that will help understand the problem on the port / DAC.

Message 4 of 9
asifshaikh04
Tutor

@LaurentMa

Thanks for you quality Time today we are going to check again and also going to change breakout DAC to single one into one DAC or AOC 

upgrading the firmware as well 

Again Thanks 

Message 5 of 9
asifshaikh04
Tutor

@LaurentMa 

asifshaikh04_0-1703876558973.png

What is Detach ?

interface 0/1 is connected to DAC Cable 10x40 GB 

Message 6 of 9
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @asifshaikh04 

You are opening several threads so it doesn't make it easy. I answered these questions in DAC cable between netgear and ubiquiti USW 48 po... - NETGEAR Communities

The portmode 4x10G command is creating 4 new ports. These new ports need to be configured, added to LAG, as any other port. The port numbering is different for them. The tech-support file will help us understand where you are and what to do.

Please the use the Software Administration Manual page 43 to see the port numbering of the 4x10G in your case. I believe you need to configure LAG on these new ports. https://www.netgear.com/support/product/m4500-32c#docs

So your 100G port is detach because it's breakout to four other ports later on. You need to configure the other ports, form LAG etc.

Message 7 of 9
asifshaikh04
Tutor

@LaurentMa 

Thanks and appriciate you 

Above solution worked for me and everything is up and working 

Message 8 of 9
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Wow, congratulations @asifshaikh04 

Thank you for letting us know!

Regards,

Laurent Masia

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements