× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting up a GS724Tv4 Ethernet Switch

AB2020
Follower

Setting up a GS724Tv4 Ethernet Switch

Hello,

So I am brand new to the world of Ethernet and I have been trying to learn how to configure my switch using the Smart Control Center. I am trying to use my main computer as a router essentially, and have it communicate one way traffic to two separate computers that cannot communicate with one another. I have been trying to learn how to set up using the Smart Control Center. I do not know much about IP Addresses and Gateway Address ect. Could anyone just try to walk me through the functions I need to know on the software to get this done?

Thank you! 

Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: Setting up a GS724Tv4 Ethernet Switch

Scratch the Smart Control Center (SCC). On one hand because it's EoL, a relict of the past, on the other hand, it's cumbersome to install (due to the requirement of the Adobe Air runtime installation, a more than dead), and last but not least, it can be operated on Windows only.

Instead of SCC, for the discovery Netgear is offering the Netgear Switch Discovery Tool (NSDT), readily available for Windows, MacOS, and even Linux derivates.

Some of the newer Netgear Smart Managed Switches can be discovered on the network. This requires enabling UPnP on your Windows computer (for simplicity). Once done these switches and other devices are showing up in your Windows Explorer Network environment list or view. Your GS724Tv4 possibly isn't one of these. The User Manual dated from more than 10 years ago, does not say a word about this.

The most easy point to start networking with your GS724Tv4  is the router, you very likely already operating on your network,

Connect the GS724Tv4 to a LAN port of your existing Internet router, and fire-up the NSDT. The switch does - out of the box - work as a DHCP client, it will get a valid IP address for your LAN assigned.

The administration can be easily accessed from the ubiquitous Web browser you certainly already have on your computer.

Simple enough to start with? Take this for the moment the GS724Tv4 is a Smart Managed Switch, not a Managed Switch class model, so I'll challenge a community moderator to move your post to the more appropriate Plus And Smart Switches Forum to discuss Smart Switches (T) and Plus Switches (E), including Local and Remote Management

Good luck, and have a good start with ¨developing your networking experience! Welcome to the Netgear Community @AB2020 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements