× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Two Portable M4250 - Both need DHCP

UMJonny
Aspirant

Two Portable M4250 - Both need DHCP

Hello.

Two portable AV Racks. Some times they will be used together (fiber link via SFP) and some times they will be used in isolation. In both cases, however, i will need DHCP. Both switches are M4250.

Could i possible configure a different range (on the same subnet) for a pool on each switch? Then, some how prevent the DHCP traffic from moving across the switch link? That way the servers wouldn't step on each other.

I will have a QSYS core here as well, which i could script some SNMP control. If there is a way to enable or disable DHCP via SNMP that could work. I would have it monitor for both switches being online and make sure only one switch had the DHCP server on.

The only other thing i can think of is using some external DHCP server like an inexpensive router. Less elegant, but would work just fine.

Let me know what you think the best option is.

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Re: Two Portable M4250 - Both need DHCP

From the IT Web interface, disable resp enable the DHCP server service as required.

Message 2 of 6
UMJonny
Aspirant

Thanks. I appreciate the response, but i'd like to understand a little more about what this is actually doing.

Can you refer to this in the manual or explain a little more?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 6
UMJonny
Aspirant

Could i possible do this with DHCP snooping?

For example: configure a server and pools (different ranges) on each switch. Then, configure each switch with DHCP snooping that only trusted the Gig ports, and not the SFP? Then any DHCP requests from the SFP ports are dropped.

Thanks

Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

System > Services > DHCP Server > DHCP Server Configuration.

Somehing like this:

Enabling and Disabling DHCP Server.png

AV Line of Fully Managed Switches M4250 Series Software Administration Manual Firmware Version 13.0.... - Chapter 21, DHCP Server

Message 5 of 6
UMJonny
Aspirant

Ah, so you're suggesting that i just enable and disable one of the DHCP servers as needed. Not an option, unless i can do that via SNMP.

This is somehting that needs to happen automatically without an admin or programmer around.

Would the DHCP snooping idea work?

Thanks

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements