× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to add ports to LAG

akira168
Aspirant

Unable to add ports to LAG

Hi,

I couldn't find any similar discussion. That's why I am asking.

I have succeeded with setting up link aggregation using HP 5800AF, Allied Telesis CentreCom GS908M, Switch Blade x908, CentreCom x210 before. I think I have enough background for handing network devices.

All I want to do is just to set up two LAN ports in link aggregation and connect M7100-24X and Allied Telesis CentreCom GS908M. The situation is that they are connected already with a single cable without LAG setting.

However when I add any port into a lag in GUI of M7100-24X, the connectivity between them becomes unpingable. I assume there might be something wrong settings in M7100-24X because I have succeeded with setting of connecting CentreCom GS908M with HP 5800AF through link aggregation.

I wish someone can give me any advice of the configuration of M7100-24X.

Here is the information below.

Firmware version: 11.0.0.18

Ports to add: 0/17 and 0/18

2017030201.png

2017030202.png

2017030203.png

Model: M7100-24X (XSM7224)|ProSAFE 24-port 10G Fully Managed L2 Switch
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
DanielZhang
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Unable to add ports to LAG

Hi Akira,

Please try to configure same VLAN setting on LAG not only the physical port.

Actually the configuration only effect on LAG when physical port added into LAG.

Such as:

configure same VLAN PVID/VLAN member/VLAN Tag For the LAG which port 17/18 will add into.

lag.png

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi akira168,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Kindly answer the questions below. 

a.  Are ports 17 & 18 set as tagged (T) ports on VLAN 2004 and VLAN 3088? 

b. Since you have set LACP (static mode disabled), is this also the same LAG settings configured on the Allied Telesis CentreCom GS908M?  Kindly check and compare the Hash mode as well on the M7100-24X and Allied Telesis CentreCom GS908M switches.

c. Have you tried to reboot both switches and check if the LAG state shows Up?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 11
akira168
Aspirant

Hi DaneA,

Thank you for your replying.

1. Are ports 17 & 18 set as tagged (T) ports on VLAN 2004 and VLAN 3088?

Correct.

1. Since you have set LACP (static mode disabled), is this also the same LAG settings configured on the Allied Telesis CentreCom GS908M? Kindly check and compare the Hash mode as well on the M7100-24X and Allied Telesis CentreCom GS908M switches.

I have tried the both of disabled static mode and enable on M7100-24X. But no luck. Also I have tried all the 7 Hash modes. It is quite same. When I add the port into a LAG, the connectivity is lost. As reference, I copy and paste the configuration of Allied Telesis CentreCom GS908M below.

Manager 3tkdtest8hub01> show config dynamic=

#

# SYSTEM configuration

#

set system name=3tkdtest8hub01

#

# CONSOLE configuration

#

set console timeout=0

#

# VLAN configuration

#

create vlan=vlan2004 vid=2004

add vlan=vlan2004 port=1-2 frame=tagged

create vlan=vlan3088 vid=3088

add vlan=vlan3088 port=1-2 frame=tagged

#

# IP configuration

#

add ip interface=vlan3088 ipaddress=192.168.88.50 mask=255.255.255.0 gateway=192.168.88.254

#

# STATIC MAC configuration

#

#

# SWITCH configuration

#

set switch port=1 acceptable=vlan

set switch port=2 acceptable=vlan

#

# TRUNK configuration

#

create switch trunk=uplink port=1-2 speed=1000m

#

# MIRROR configuration

#

#

# IGMPSNOOPING configuration

#

#

# PORT LIMITATION configuration

#

#

# PORT AUTHENTICATION configuration

#

#

# ACCESS FILTER configuration

#

#

# TELNET configuration

#

#

# FTP configuration

#

#

# NTP configuration

#

enable ntp

add ntp peer=192.168.5.242

#

# HTTP configuration

#

#

# LOG configuration

#

#

# SNMP configuration

#

#

# QOS configuration

#

#

# LOOP DETECTION configuration

#

#

# STORM DETECTION configuration

#

#

# EPSR Transit/Aware configuration

#

#

# MLDSNOOPING configuration

#

Manager 3tkdtest8hub01>

--------------------------------

Actually it is pinging without a LAG.

C:\Users\G10092>ping 192.168.88.50

192.168.88.50 ping を送信しています 32 バイトのデータ:

192.168.88.50 からの応答: バイト数 =32 時間 =16ms TTL=253

192.168.88.50 からの応答: バイト数 =32 時間 =2ms TTL=253

192.168.88.50 ping 統計:

パケット数: 送信 = 4、受信 = 4、損失 = 0 (0% の損失)

ラウンド トリップの概算時間 (ミリ秒😞

最小 = 2ms、最大 = 16ms、平均 = 5ms

1. Have you tried to reboot both switches and check if the LAG state shows Up?

I can only reboot Allied Telesis CentreCom GS908M. It is very difficult to reboot M7100-24X because it is in production in our company.

Best regards,

Message 3 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@akira168,

I suggest you to update the firmware of the M7100-24X to v11.0.0.28.  Be sure to perform a factory reset on the M7100-24X then reconfigure it from scratch.  Let us know if the LAG will work between the M7100-24X and Allied Telesis CentreCom GS908M this time.

You may download firmware v11.0.0.28 here.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 11
akira168
Aspirant

I see. We will do that.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Message 5 of 11
Jedi_Exile
NETGEAR Expert

I hope this helps, it is more of tip to troubleshooting LAG configuration between switches.

For LAG Issues or troubleshooting, here is basic way to validate and test for issues.

1. Add only 1 member port on both switch to the LAG and then check if the LAG status is up.   (1 Port member only)  You can choose you settings to match (Static, LACP, (Active, Passive --some one should be active and not both be passive), common hash method)

2. If LAG is UP and you can get traffic across, then add second Port member to the LAG and see if the LAG is up.  If LAG is not up, you have mis-match or cross cabling which is most common problem we see with LAG configuration.   Mis-match means the cable going to the port is not really connected the member LAG port so you have both a LAG port and non LAG port connected between the 2 switches.

To determine mis-match or bad cabling, disable (shutdown) one of port in the LAG and see if LAG is up.  Attempt the same on second port if still no change.  

Message 6 of 11
akira168
Aspirant

Hi Jedi_Exile,

Thank you for your comments.

>1. Add only 1 member port on both switch to the LAG and then check if the LAG status is up.

The both switches are connected without LAG setting. They are perfectly fine. When the LAG setting is enabled on the Netgear switch, the connectivity between them is lost. I have tried all kinds of the settings such as Admin Mode, Link Trap, STP Moe, Static Mode and Hash Mode.

It cannot go to 2.

Do you think I missed something?

Best regards,

Message 7 of 11
DanielZhang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Akira,

Please try to configure same VLAN setting on LAG not only the physical port.

Actually the configuration only effect on LAG when physical port added into LAG.

Such as:

configure same VLAN PVID/VLAN member/VLAN Tag For the LAG which port 17/18 will add into.

lag.png

Message 8 of 11
akira168
Aspirant

Hi Daniel_Z,

Thank you for your advice.

Even though I have changed the VLAN settings of the lag_3, the situation is still same.

Whenever the ports are added to the LAG, the connectivity is lost.

Please let me know if I made any mistake about the settings.

Best regards,

2017030801.png

Message 9 of 11
Jedi_Exile
NETGEAR Expert

Maybe attempt the following instead.

If switches work fine with one port connected between them without LAG settings on, then I suggest you do some more troubleshooting detailed below.

1. When the LAG is enabled,  check the LAG status.   If it is down, we have negotiates issues since both sides need to be configured for LAG.  On Juniper side also verify the LAG configuration shows up or down.

2. If LAG is up but traffic won't go then check the STP state to make sure neigther side is BLK (if you using MST or PVST) then make sure to check STP per vlan that is tagged on the port to verify they are are not in BLK state even though LAG is up.

Here is steps I normally do to add a LAG memeber.

1. Reset the port that will be LAG member to default state.  Meaning PVID 1 and participation vlan 1 only.   Change the mode of port to General instead of access or trunking mode.  

2. Add the port as member of the LAG.  

3. Configure the LAG setting to match on both sides (Static vs Dynamic (LACP), matching hash mode)

4. Configure the LAG port with required settings (PVID, participation, tagging, trunking, etc)

5. Connection or no shutdown the port to bring it up.. and see if LAG is up.  

6. If LAG is down, I limit the membership to single port only and make sure LAG comes up and traffic passes.   If LAG is up but traffic fails to pass, I verify membership of LAG .. show vlan x  shows particaption and tagging status.  If LAG is down but port is up, I look at port status (after resetting the counters) to see if there is traffic going across.  

7.  For older switches, I save config and reboot them one a time on each side to see if that fixes them.  

8.  I also make sure atleast one side is active member for dynamic LAG (LACP)

Beyond this, I suggest opening a support case as this will need to troubleshoot by debugging further.. 

debug commands are on the switches to dig beyond this level.

Message 10 of 11
akira168
Aspirant

Thank you for your support.
Our IT infrastructure team could connect M7100-24X and AT CentreCom GS909M with LAG setting which is physical 1000Base-T. And also we could connect M7100-24X and HP 5800AF-48G with LAG setting which is physical 10G fiber cable.
The reason of the failure was that VLAN of LAG and Static mode were not properly chosen.
We appreciated your warm advices.

We referred to the manual below. (If there is any newer manuals, please let me know.)
https://www.netgear.jp/support/manual/M7100/M4100-M7100_SWA_15Feb2013.pdf
The contents are not updated along with the current GUI. Moreover the VLAN setting of LAG is missing in P.55-P59. If there is anybody who can contact to the Netgear employees who is responsible for updating the documentations, we are very pleased.

Best regards,
Akira

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements