× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

m4500 - Idle power / idle noise level - not listed in specs (M4500-48XF8C)

NGswUser23
Aspirant

m4500 - Idle power / idle noise level - not listed in specs (M4500-48XF8C)

I realize this is a top of the line switch and not expected to be quiet or low power draw, however the only information I can find in the PDF spec sheet are the maximums (ie: max power draw w all ports in use = ~394 watts, maximum ambient noise at 77 Fahrenheit = ~ 67 decibels)

My question is (even if a rough estimation), what is the idle power draw as well as the ambient noise level for a netgear M4500-48XF8C

(assume 4x optics or even no optics, installed) -  I'm just trying to get some rough idea. The PDF specs do say there is some kind of fan user fan control, as well as the noise level is reduced when both power supplies are connected to mains voltage (but no details beyond that are given).

thanks

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
NGswUser23
Aspirant

Re: m4500 - Idle power / idle noise level - not listed in specs (M4500-48XF8C)

to update my own post (as i still could not find this information anywhere); i got the m4500 switch in (48 port model) and:

from my own testing it's around 127 watts idle and 50 to 55 decibel sound level (pretty quiet for this level of switch)

NB: this is with both PSUs connected to mains, and NO OPTICS connected at all, yet. so is totally idle.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @NGswUser23 ,

I am sorry that our M4500 line doesn't provide the idle power consumption, and I don't have the exact information handy. But since you are requesting an estimate, we can reasonably assume that the switch power consumption when idle standby, without any port connected, is around 100W.

When idle, or very low activity with two PSU connected (never connect the switch with only PSU, the fans are 100% speed then, and you have the max noise indicated in the datasheet), my estimation of the ambient noise is around 50db.

There is no user command for configuring the fans; instead the low level management is adapting the fan speed (up to 100%) to the load, monitoring the sensors on critical components (chipset, CPU, etc.). When idle or low activity, fan speed is decreased greatly.

I hope it will help you!

Message 2 of 4
NGswUser23
Aspirant

thanks for the reply / info  - ~100w is also what I would estimate myself around idle load.  Also your reply below also answered a question I had as well:

There is no user command for configuring the fans; instead the low level management is adapting the fan speed (up to 100%) to the load

My only follow up is if any users have a m4500 deployed/in-use and could please comment on either the fan noise or power use in their actual experience  I would appreciate it.

Thank you!

Message 3 of 4
NGswUser23
Aspirant

to update my own post (as i still could not find this information anywhere); i got the m4500 switch in (48 port model) and:

from my own testing it's around 127 watts idle and 50 to 55 decibel sound level (pretty quiet for this level of switch)

NB: this is with both PSUs connected to mains, and NO OPTICS connected at all, yet. so is totally idle.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements