× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

s3300-28x Stacking routed through 10g ports in computer

seader025
Tutor

s3300-28x Stacking routed through 10g ports in computer

Hello,

I'm looking to try and run the 10 gigabit stacking ports through a 10g port on a computer to conceptually record all the traffic from one switch.  Is this possible, and if so, how would I configure this in the switch management?

Model: S3300-28X (GS728TX)|ProSafe 24 ports stackable smart switches
Message 1 of 8
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: s3300-28x Stacking routed through 10g ports in computer

Hello seader025, 

Welcome to the community! 

I believe you'll need to set it up as an ethernet port instead of a stacking port. See Advanced Stack-Port Configuration on page 71 of the user manual.

Let us know if you have more questions. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 8
seader025
Tutor

Thank you! I will give that a try and see if it works.

Message 3 of 8
seader025
Tutor

That worked for the configuration, thank you!  My next question is, how might I set up the switch so that I can record all traffic coming from the 24 1g rj45 ports?  This will be through the 10g stacking port connected to the computer.

Message 4 of 8
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello seader025, 

The best way to monitor and handle your network is by using SNMP (you can jump to page 80 of the user manual). If you have not tried SNMP before you may have to look at its definition and terms (click here and here). It is hard at first, with the terminologies and setup but once it is configured it is a breeze managing your network. 🙂 You already have a management station so next step is to get an SNMP tool (software) which can be found all over the web, there are trial versions which you can test to decide the best one for you. 

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have more questions. 

Thanks, 

Message 5 of 8
BGold
Aspirant

So just to be clear....

The 10G ports can be used for a connection of the switch fabric at 10Gbe to a network device (server, NAS, whatever) OR for stacking depending on how the stack option is set on those ports?

I would like to connect a 10G NAS to the switch though one 10Gbe and uplink to a second switch in stack mode to a second switch.  

One set to "ethernet" and the other set to "stack"?

Message 6 of 8
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello BGold, 

Welcome to the community! 

Yes, same as my suggestion to @seader025 you'll just have to change the mode of the port. It can be in ethernet mode (default) or stack mode. You may also want to check out this FAQ, it contains a lot of information about stacking and other important features. 

Let me know if this helps. 

Thanks, 

Message 7 of 8
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello BGold, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks, 

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements