Announcements

Shop Meural NFT Displays

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?

Alternative Aspect Ratio Canvas Frames (3:2 or 4:3)

I was so excited to discover the Canvas frames, and as a family of photographers and artists, we would love to fill our home and offices with them.  However, the aspect ratio of 16:9 is just a no go.

Professional film cameras and digital camera sensors tend to have 3:2 aspect ratios (sometimes 4:3).  While 16:9 is a common screen ratio for computers, TVs, and phones, most professional photographers shoot in 3:2 or something close to it, even if they're going to crop to something like 16:9.

I have decades of photos I'd love to display on the Canvas, both from traditional film and from my 3:2 format digital cameras.  But I didn't shoot for 16:9.  Cropping them that way ruins the artistic intent of my composition at best, and is impossible at worst.

Further, how many painters have regularly painted on anything that approximates 16:9?  Just scanning through the gallery of art available with a Canvas Premium membership reveals the violence that needs to be done to them to crop them at 16:9.  It's painful to look at.

I realize that there is most likely a cost consideration in this decision.  16:9 panels are mass produced and therefore probably cheaper.  But if you want to attract photographers and artists, I think you need a 3:2 aspect panel.  Even 4:3, which was a common panel size before 16:9 become the standard, and may be more affordable, would be a vast improvement.

I'll be the first one in line to buy multiple 3:2 (or even 4:3) aspect Canvas frames!

Thanks so much for considering this request.

*For those interested, here's a helpful video on aspect ratio: https://youtu.be/wQ0m75bGGGg?t=79

2 Comments
Jeffgear
Luminary

Alternatively if the Meural app could detect the 3:2 or 4:3 image aspect ratio and then allow a user-selectable border to be chosen, so the original is not cropped but reduced in size to fit within the 16:9 physical frame, this would be a reasonable compromise for me. I'll have to have a play with my photo editing app to see if I can turn a 3:2 into a bordered 16:9 image. 

KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello tridens92

Thank you for sharing this idea with us. We ensure we will share the idea with the product manager for their consideration.

Best,

Kevin

Community Team